• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Its better than nothing but if you look into the .410, you will see that its performance is very limited. You would have to get really close to a coyote to hit it with a saiga .410 slug. As for home defense, there are better options out there but I wouldnt volunteer to get shot with it. Whatever you use, make sure you are comfortable with it and have an adequate ammo supply.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I keep a Saiga as a house gun, but it's a 12ga. IMO, the .410 cartridge has a LOT of downsides in the HD role. Also, I think some of the higher-capacity Saiga mags are on the ridiculous side, size-wise. A 10rd .410 mag should allow plenty of capacity without being overly heavy or cumbersome to handle.

My :twocents:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    i have seen 15 round mags>> any thoughts?? could also work as a possuem/coyote gun.????
    Yeah, A keltec weighs about 4 lbs less, more compact, costs less, ammo is cheaper, holds 30+ rounds, mags are cheaper and better, reloads 10 times easier and can also kill a kritter.

If you aleady own the .410, run slugs in it. If you don't own it, don't go down that path. It is not a great carbine and it is not a great gauge for HD

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Sell the .410 and get a 12 gauge. I wouldn't want to get shot by a .410 but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it for my life or stop a BG.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Federal claims that their new Premium Self Defense .410 shell reaches 1200 fps from the barrel of a Taurus Judge. 15 inches penetration in bare gelatin. There's 4 pellets in the"000" 2 1/2 " shell. They also have a #4 shot with 10 pellets and 6 inches penetration. I would like to see what these rounds would do out of a long barrel. Personally, I think a face full of #4 from 10 feet would do a pretty good job slowing an attack. Followed by emptying the weapon center of mass.

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    If I was going to use a .410 for home defense it would be the saiga (converted of course). It would work on possums, but for coyotes, the .410 slug and buck loses energy pretty fast and I personally would limit my shots to 75yards for slugs or no 1 buck for close up shots ( if you can even find #1 buck in .410)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Federal claims that their new Premium Self Defense .410 shell reaches 1200 fps from the barrel of a Taurus Judge. 15 inches penetration in bare gelatin. There's 4 pellets in the"000" 2 1/2 " shell. They also have a #4 shot with 10 pellets and 6 inches penetration. I would like to see what these rounds would do out of a long barrel. Personally, I think a face full of #4 from 10 feet would do a pretty good job slowing an attack. Followed by emptying the weapon center of mass.
    As a shotgun the .410 is for experts. The pattern beyond anything bigger than #6 birdshot is suspect and it is better suited to 7.5 to 9. 10 of #4 buck is not squat. 000 is my last choice.

If you want a .41 caliber carbine, buy one, it is called 10mm but even 9mm or .30 carbine will out shoot a .410 slug

It is not just the gauge, in this case it is the gun. Ever do a mag change on one of these? I owned one for 10 years. Also the .410 is not as reliable as the Saiga 12's or 20's.

Last gun I would hand to a female is a Saiga .410. Women in my house use AR's, 12's, 20's and even a 9mm Keltec, and of course handguns.

.410 is a fantasy, I love them and have shot them for 40 years but they are a specialized gauge/toy.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    As a shotgun the .410 is for experts. The pattern beyond anything bigger than #6 birdshot is suspect and it is better suited to 7.5 to 9. 10 of #4 buck is not squat. 000 is my last choice.

If you want a .41 caliber carbine, buy one, it is called 10mm but even 9mm or .30 carbine will out shoot a .410 slug

It is not just the gauge, in this case it is the gun. Ever do a mag change on one of these? I owned one for 10 years. Also the .410 is not as reliable as the Saiga 12's or 20's.

Last gun I would hand to a female is a Saiga .410. Women in my house use AR's, 12's, 20's and even a 9mm Keltec, and of course handguns.

.410 is a fantasy, I love them and have shot them for 40 years but they are a specialized gauge/toy.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm not trying to be argumentative....but. A fantasy? A Toy? I have seen, with my own eyes, a 180lb deer taken with a .410 slug. Granted, they aren't much good past 35 to 40 yards. But in that range they have similar velocity and kinetic energy to a .357 magnum. I really don't know anything about the saiga. But the .410 is a much maligned and under rated guage.Hardly a toy.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Sell the .410 and get a 12 gauge. I wouldn't want to get shot by a .410 but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it for my life or stop a BG.

I agree...... folks have relied on the 12 gauge for HD roles for a great many years because it just plain works! I myself keep the old Mossy 500 ready to rip - I don't YET own a Saiga 12 (soon, very soon - as I wipe the drool from my chin.....:D); yet there is still one proven fact to consider..... in the dark of night, when you are breaking into a house, creeping around in the dark..... there is NO sound on EARTH more distinct in it's intent that the sound of a 12 gauge pump cycling a round into the chamber :rockwoot: - because you KNOW, without a doubt, that if you did not make that sound, you are about to be in a deep heap of :poop: :ar15::D

Top Bottom