• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I have a Saiga 12. I apparently got the only one without the left-side scope mount bracket.
    I would like to add a scope for shooting slugs. I understand that I would need a gunsmith to add the bracket, and I can't find one locally, so I don't know what to do.
    Several months ago, I looked for other options. There was another bracket that mounted on top of the gun, but I can't find it anymore.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Products - all - www.chaosus.com

I have the "extended quad rail," the "Titan" is the newest version.

I have no complaints with mine, but you may need the Titan depending on the scopes eye relief and your shooting position.

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0461.jpg

:welcome: 2 :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Send it out to an AK smith to have the side rail added, then go with any of the popular side mounts out there - Midwest Industries with the ADM QD locking lever comes immediately to mind.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    i miss my chaos railed saiga, shouldn't have sold it... i get a kick out of yours mammy as they looked almost the same. My current s12 is significantly less tacticool.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I bought a Russian AK type side rail mount for another project from AA-OK.com. I think I had seen them at a couple odd places, but got the best deal at AA-OK. This was about 6 months ago.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you all. I can find the bracket that attaches to the left side of the gun (I actually had one in my hand at the gun show.). The problem is that it attaches to the gun with the rivets. I don't have the tools or experience to do that.
    I think my solution is going to be to put on a quad rail from carolinashootersupply that mounts in place of the forestock. Apparently I can do this myself without any problems. Then I can mount a scope to that.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    i miss my chaos railed saiga, shouldn't have sold it... i get a kick out of yours mammy as they looked almost the same. My current s12 is significantly less tacticool.

Sure hope I dont get that feeling. I just settled on a trade for my Titan rail for some Bobcat Steel. :D

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for the information vitamink. What is the problem that you had with the UTG version?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Just a short list of why

Utg is an airsoft company attempting to make gun parts
    Their parts are heavy and cumbersome
    The way their rails mount tend mess with barrel harmonics
    The ridicule from me would be relentless. I would say things like, "hey that looks like a saiga 12...only stupid" Then we'd all point at you and laugh.

The price of the saiga 12 rail by utg is the same price as an american made company (chaos, evansville IN) that is lighter, better constructed, looks better and will allow your optics to hold zero.

chaos rail
    2011StormShoot_Saiga12_02.jpg

UTG
    634467425707276567npgy5si2.jpg

do the right thing here.

Chaos 99.95
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-426/CHAOS-SAIGA-12-EXTENDED/Detail
    UTG 99.95
    SAIGA 12 QUAD RAIL

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I found out that the one I was considering was "CSS" brand, not UTG. Any opinions on that brand? The Saiga 12 Quad Rail, and the Extended versions are a little more pricey, and I understand that they need more adjustment when installing.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I found out that the one I was considering was "CSS" brand, not UTG. Any opinions on that brand? The Saiga 12 Quad Rail, and the Extended versions are a little more pricey, and I understand that they need more adjustment when installing.

Are you still wanting a scope? By that I mean a typical Leupold/Vortex/Burris/Bushnell? Because unless the top rail extends towards the rear of the gun (i.e. a Chaos) you'll be limited to an extended eye relief ("Scout") scope or a red dot. The only downside to the extended rail is that it makes putting the top cover back on ever so slightly more difficult, but it's an easily learned technique. I don't see a CSS rail that extends towards the rear of the gun. :dunno:
    The Titan (with which I have no experience) hinges up, but I could see where you might need to remove a scope to tilt it all the way up. But the rail goes all the way to the end of the receiver so you can put a scope exactly where you want it.
    The UTG sits WAY high. Note that on my gun I needed to add the tall (3/4") Moe/CTG riser to get a comfortable sight picture using the HK sights. A scope, even with low rings, would be very very high. Something to think about...
    I paid a little more than x2 for the Chaos Extended (with the HK sights) when I bought mine, so to me it's a no brainer... as far as mounting... all I had to do was knock the front and rear sight posts out and it went right on. Took less than 15 minutes including the time it took to find the tools.
    Do yourself a favor; buy a Chaos.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks mammynum. That is the kind of information that I am looking for. I am pretty new to guns, and don't know any better yet about where the scope should mount (Yes, I want an full size scope, not a red dot, or a small scope.)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Given that slugs have a relatively short range, I'd be looking at a 1-4x or a 2.5x fixed power scope. Let us know what your price range and intended uses are and I'm sure you'll get a LOT of suggestions. In the meantime, here's some info to help you decide on a rail.

Look at the specs of some scopes you think you're interested in and write down the minimum eye relief. If provided, note the distance from the rear of the windage/elevation "block" to the end of the scope.

Get your Saiga 12 and a tape measure or ruler. Get behind the gun like you're shooting and hold the ruler close to your eye and tape it to the dust cover of the S-12. Now you can see approximately where the end of the scope needs to be based on the published eye relief. If you have the distance from the "block" to the rear of the scope you can also approximate where the rear scope ring will have to be when the scope is as far back as possible. I think you'll find that an S-12 has to have an extended rail to mount a "normal" scope. Here's a link to a scope that has all the info (click on the "specs" tab) and would be killer on an S-12.... I have one on an AR-15. Not cheap, but a great scope for the $$$!

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Capped)

Eye relief = 4" (which is relatively long)
    Distance from "block" = 5.8" (2.2+3.6)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The CSS rail i believe is a rebranded Kross rail. They are still good, just a little on the heavy side. Kross hasn't been in business since 2010 if i remember correctly. I'm assuming Zach decided to make rails exclusively for CSS much like Etac making his trigger guards and them rebranding them to the CSS guard.

To reference your question though, i'm not impressed with the rail. I have never used it but it seems heavier and doesn't flow as well. You also don't get any coverage over the dust cover. If it were me i'd go chaos with the extended rail. I'm not sold on the hinged thing yet.

Top Bottom