• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A little safety reminder for folks, hopefully help someone from getting complacent with their guns.

Last week, we met Hoosier45 to take advantage of his generous offer to shoot a number of his guns side by side. While waiting for him to arrive, we were doing some shooting with our .22s. When he got there, we unloaded our guns. Cathy unloaded her Model 60 by ejecting the round in the chamber, locking the bolt to the rear, and then unloading her tubular magazine. This, of course, left a round on the feed elevator, which she didn't realize at the time.

We get done shooting, pack up, and go home. Cathy forgot to actually look into her gun to make sure it was clear, and just let the bolt go forward. We got home, unpacked, and contrary to my usual practice I failed to clear the guns again before storing them. I was tired, wanted to relax, blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse.

Saturday rolls around, we were packing up to head to the range. I cleared each gun prior to putting them in the case, guess what pops into my hand when I cleared Cathy's gun? Imagine my surprise when I find myself standing there with a .22 round in my hand, from a gun that was supposed to be unloaded?

I'm not happy that both Cathy and I failed to clear her gun properly, and let ourselves become complacent with our gun handling. I am happy that we followed the other rules of gun handling, and no accident occurred. It was a wake up call for both of us, and also for Sean, who has heard ever since he was four that "guns are always loaded."

Now at least he knows why that rule is so important to follow. Hopefully, this post will serve as a reminder to others, also, and be of help. It is embarrassing to post it... with my years of gun handling on a professional and hobby basis, this should not have happened.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm glad it wasn't near as bad as it could have been Joe. I'm usually a laid back guy, but I am super anal about making sure a gun is clear when I want it to be. Even after I break a gun down and clean it I find myself making sure that it's clear before I put it up. I really want a barrel of sand or something inside to help ease my mind when checking function by dy firing inside.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Joe, it sounds like you treated the gun properly (as loaded), pointed in a safe direction, kept your finger off the trigger, cleared prior to your range trip, and were simply 'surprised' to find the gun loaded. :yesway:

It's awfully for easy for folks to have a "rule" in their head and some seperate "reality" at the same time. When those two differ (the rule and the reality) conditions are ripe for an adverse event.

(OTOH, I'm 'surprised' if one of mine isn't loaded. Loaded is the usual reality. ;))

Thanks for the reminder/public service announcement!

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Joe I've done the same thing with my Marlin 60 and my Henry lever action, the Marlin sat in my brothers safe for 5 years unused with a round on the feed elevator

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Good job, Joe, putting yourself and your "mistake" out there for all to learn from. Always good to get reminders.

I was in a gun store the other day and the guy behind the counter checked the gun before handing to me. Once he handed it to me I opened it and checked it again. He said "you just saw me check it, why bother?" I said, no offense, but maybe your a total blind, idiot? How am I to know? Better be double safe, right?" He still appeared offended.:rolleyes: Whatever.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Cathy's got to go. Just kidding, I'm glad to hear that story had a happy ending. It could have been completely different.

It does just always make me feel good to clear a gun multiple times. Makes you feel in sane sometimes, but it's important!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Good story Joe, and very good lesson! I takes alot to admit to mistakes, you done much better than most would have I bet. I'm glad you and your wife are OK and shared your story with us.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Good reminder Joe!!
    Tubular magazines are often to blame when an ND takes place.
    Years ago I got into the habit of racking the action on my tube feed guns several time after I was "sure" that the tube had been cleared.
    Brain farts can happen to anyone so following the "Pointed in a safe direction" rule was your saving grace. :)

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I once "took care" of a guy that probably had the same thing happen. Sadly, unlike Joe and Cathy, he didn't follow the rules. He bumped the stock on the door pillar getting it out of the car........while holding onto the barrel end. The round hit him between the eyes and he was dead before he hit the ground.

Good reminder Joe

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Good call on clearing the guns before transporting, something i need to do a better job of instead of taking for granted i cleared them before i put them in the cabinet. Glad to here no one got hurt.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This is exactly why we have rules that sometimes seem redundant to some people. Following the rules all the time allows for overlapping safety which covers potential mistakes. This appears to be exactly what happened to you. So I say +1 to you because even though may have made a slight error, continuing to follow the rules protected you anyway. Good job!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This goes to show that if you handle guns long enough something like this or worse will happen. So as Joe said "guns are always loaded."

Sorry. I can't accept this line of thinking.

I will agree that mistakes CAN happen to anyone, at any time. But I don't think that mistakes WILL happen to everyone eventually.

Also the idea that that mistake will be WORSE is not at all valid. This kind of mindset & speech plays right into the anti-gun crowds assertion that guns are so dangerous that EVERYBODY will make a mistake & end up killing someone therefore they should be banned.

Again mistakes CAN happen. Those mistakes CAN have tragic results...unless you make sure you consistently follow the "4 rules". Even a violation of ONE of the 4 rules & you can be fairly certain no one will get hurt.

Bottom line is: Follow the 4 rules & IF a mistake does happen, you & others will still be safe.

Thanks for the reminder, Joe.

Top Bottom