• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been doing a lot of research for my graduate program regarding public health and safe storage of firearms. The public health literature really deals with it as a black and white construct. I am interested in hearing what other gunowners feel is their idea of "safe storage", what are some things that promote or motivate you to engage in safe storage behaviors and what may be some issues that may hinder safe storage if you even find the need at all.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    if you feel confident in your neighborhood and have nobody to worry about messing around with your guns, that would be when i wouldn't worry about havin guns in a safe

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I keep them locked up unless they are on my person. This is mostly to keep my son safe, though I have been teaching him firearm safety, and to slow down any would be thieves.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Every firearm in my house is secured in some sort of safe unless it is on my person. I have deployed Gunvaults in strategic locations throughout my home. The purpose is three fold. The keep the firearms secure in case of burglary. To provide easy access to a firearm in a time of need. The keep someone from discovering a hidden unsecured firearm and utilizing it against me.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I keep them locked up unless they are on my person. This is mostly to keep my son safe, though I have been teaching him firearm safety, and to slow down any would be thieves.
    This is what we do, for the same reason (well, except we have a daughter, not a son).

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I keep my shotgun and rifle locked up in a case with trigger locks and the case locked. Handguns in the safe and locked up unless I'm carrying. I've got a very curious three year old running around and I honestly spend more time ensuring everything is secure enough that she can't get in to it than I do trying to keep my firearms from getting stolen! I agree with all the other folks that mentioned their childs safety as their primary concern.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Most of my stuff resides unloaded in a safe.

A few are kept loaded in a GunVault (opens in < 3 seconds).

Then of course there is the one on my hip.

I am very against trigger locks. I don't think its good practice to use any product that puts something inside your trigger guard. The only thing that should be inside a trigger guard is your finger after you have identified your target, what is behind it, and are ready to fire. There are plenty of alternatives to trigger locks. Cable locks are particularly good.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the replies so far, I too use a safe for my firearms when not in use or on me, plus use a quick access box for HD use. I didn't always do that even though I knew better but it was mostly from some insistent urging from my spouse that I got the safe but am glad I did. Now she complains that it's not out of sight enough and I say we need a bigger one. It seems that child safety is one of the number one concerns, what about those who don't have children or they are grown?

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I have a gun safe that is full and was purchased for thieves. My daughters growing up grew up like I did. Guns hanging on walls, leaning in corners of my bedroom. Leave your little hands off of dad's guns or dad's hands will be on your behind. When the girls got older and friends were coming over, then the higher gun racks showed up. Then I got enough money to have enough guns that a safe was needed so bought one. Now I need three more!!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My rule is if it's not on my hip it's in the pistol safe. The number and types of layers for safe gun storage depends on your situation. Your pistol lock box is only as secure as the key. Also store ammunition separately. And it's not just your kids you have to worry about - what about the friends they bring over? What about the adults that you bring over?

If you can find it (check the Amazon used books section), I highly recommend the book "Gunproof Your Kids" by Massad Ayoob. IMHO, There is no alternative to teaching and practicing safe gun handling with kids -- EVERY KID. Schools that teach safe sex, should also be teaching gun safety. Even if you don't own a gun, one of your neighbors does. (About 1/3 of US households has a gun.)

It may be interesting for your research work to include what the NRA, NSSF, and other organizations say about the issue.

One of the three main NRA Gun Safety Rules states, "ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use." In the case of a gun being used for self defense in the home, a loaded gun means extra precautions must be taken. In the "Personal Protection in the Home" handbook it says that when you leave home, unless the gun is going with you, it's not being used for personal protection and should be unloaded.

If you are one of the ones that don't have kids and leave loaded guns at home, think about this: Imagine a break-in when you are away, and you come home with a burglary in progress. Now the criminal may have a loaded gun waiting for you when you come home.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    My kids are grown and we are empty nesters. All my firearms are locked in the safe,except the one on my hip (currently Glock 19). At night it goes on my dresser. Kind of reassuring to see the night sights glowing when laying in bed in the dark...

Fireman906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    A firearm should always be secured.

Either on your person, or in a safe of some sort.

To NOT do this, is negligent, and invites both personal disaster, or loss of property.

Doesnt have to be a fireproof, 3000 dollar safe, just a gun locker keeps the kids out.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    A firearm should always be secured.

Either on your person, or in a safe of some sort.

To NOT do this, is negligent, and invites both personal disaster, or loss of property.

Doesnt have to be a fireproof, 3000 dollar safe, just a gun locker keeps the kids out.

In your quote you make my gun racks a negligent item. They are out of reach of kids, ammo is not stored in the same room and they are out of sight. I dislike my gun safe because I buy them, shoot them and admire them. A few guns in a rack is very soothing and pleasing to me. Every gun in a gun safe is to antiseptic of living for me. When the dog barks at night I grab my pistol and pump shotgun before going out to investigate. If walking the pastures same pistol but at least a 22 mag rifle for the dumb groundhog or coyote or wild dog that crosses my path. So different guns for different situations.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Too many small children in my house to even think about having unsecured guns. All of my guns and ammo is always stored in a gun safe even when I'm at home. I used to unlock the safe when I was at home but a couple times I left the house and forgot to lock it up!! OMG! Now it remains locked 24/7.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the participation everyone, those posting on this board are likely a little biased since by the fact we are here are very interested in firearms and the shooting sports and perhaps much more conscientious than the casual gun owner. Responses may be different if we looked at those that own a couple of firearms and shoot or hunt occasionally.

Top Bottom