• ...and so much more!
  • kimberfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Sorry to share this. A great loss.

John A. Crone, Maj. USAR
    Age 44, Avon, passed away April 8, 2013. He was the Indiana Field Representative for the National Rifle Assoc., a Career Military Officer and most recently served with the 310th ESC unit at Camp Atterberry. He was a Life/Benefactor member of the NRA, and a member of the ISRPA, and the NMLRA. John was an avid hunter and shooting sports competitor. In John’s position with the NRA he raised funds to support youth shooting programs and gun safety programs. He will be missed by all that served and worked with him. Survivors include his wife Dawn Crone; daughters Carolina Crone and Sarah Crone; parents Robert and Joyce Crone; brother Robert F. Crone III. Visitation will be from 9-11am Mon. April 15 at Matthews Mortuary, Brownsburg, with memorial services at 11am. Military graveside honors will be at 12:30pm Mon. April 15 at Crown Hill Cemetery. A celebration of life service will be held at 2pm Mon. April 15 at the Kingsway Christian Church fellowship center. Online guestbook at Matthews Mortuary : BROWNSBURG, Indiana (IN)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have worked with John for years with the FNRA, since he has been a rep. He was a dedicated supporter of our cause and a true patriot, giving many years of service to our Country.

ETA. The OP's above obituary was a draft, the attorney for the Crone family provided me the following:

TO: Indianapolis Star
    Ph. 317-852-4296 Fax 317-852-8503

John A. Crone, Maj. USAR

Age 44, Avon, passed away April 8, 2013. He was the Indiana Field Representative forthe National Rifle Assoc., a Career Military Officer and most recently servedwith the 310th ESC unit at Camp Atterbury. He was a Life/Benefactor member of the NRA,and a member of the ISRPA, the NMLRA, and American Legion Post 118Danville. John was an avid hunter andshooting sports competitor. In John’sposition with the NRA he raised funds to support youth shooting programs andgun safety programs. He will be missedby all that served and worked with him. Survivors include his wife Dawn Crone; daughters Carolina Crone andSarah Crone; parents Robert and Joyce Crone; brother Robert F. Crone III. Visitation will be from 9-11am Mon. April 15at Matthews Mortuary, Brownsburg,with memorial services at 11am. Militarygraveside honors will be at 12:30pm Mon. April 15 at Crown Hill Cemetery. A celebration of life service will be held at2pm Mon. April 15 at the Hendricks County 4-H Complex. Inlieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made out to the:

Kightlinger &Gray Trust Account: Memo Crone Family Fund, and mailed to Kightlinger &Gray, LLP, 7311 Eagle Crest Blvd., Evansville, IN 47715. Online guestbook at www.matthewsmortuary.com

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Sad indeed. I got the email a couple nights ago. He was in Avon and a member of our club, an Afghanistan veteran and with more than one tour.

He was so proud of his daughter Carolina and what she's been able to accomplish in the shooting sports - her picture (from the back) was in last months American Rifleman.

Rest in Peace, John.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    John's enthusiasm, dedication, and skills were a HUGE asset to the entire shooting community. He will be sorely missed. We are diminished.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I met John a few years ago because of his involvement with the FNRA banquets. I'm on my local committee, and he was a regional guy.

One of the nicest guys you'd ever hope to meet.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I had the opportunity to spend a day at the range with John and Carolina and I can't say enough good things about them both. My prayers go out for the family.

rifeg2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    I met John in 2007 at our reserve unit. We did several short missions together, shot a few times then most recently took a year long trip to the sand box together. On the evenings where motar fire was absent, we sat outside the housing area of H6 J block in Balad and smoked Chibas, drank nearbeer and told lies about the old days when Soldiers were worth a ****. Like many of us John had some demons he struggled with but none of us knew it. Those that know John know he was a very confident, always positive guy. Johns demons got the better of him and he lost his internal battle on 8 April, 2013. I will dig out blues straighten my ribbon rack and help carry John to his final resting place on Monday. I will salute him for one last time, aman..a Leader and Soldier who had led thousands over the course of time. God speed John.

50BMG Steve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Richmond Area
    Missing a good Man

John did a great job defending our Country overseas and our Rights here at home. A great loss to his family, his friends and fellow NRA members.
    You can help his Family.

Memorial contributions may be made out to the:

Kightlinger &Gray Trust Account: Memo Crone Family Fund, and mailed to Kightlinger &Gray, LLP, 7311 Eagle Crest Blvd., Evansville, IN 47715. Online guestbook at
    HTML:
    www.matthewsmortuary.com

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I just saw John a few weeks ago. He was a great supporter of our liberties and freedoms. Because of his friendly demeanor, I really enjoyed working the Friends of NRA banquets. The news of his passing was a shock. He will truly be missed.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I met John in 2007 at our reserve unit. We did several short missions together, shot a few times then most recently took a year long trip to the sand box together. On the evenings where motar fire was absent, we sat outside the housing area of H6 J block in Balad and smoked Chibas, drank nearbeer and told lies about the old days when Soldiers were worth a ****. Like many of us John had some demons he struggled with but none of us knew it. Those that know John know he was a very confident, always positive guy. Johns demons got the better of him and he lost his internal battle on 8 April, 2013. I will dig out blues straighten my ribbon rack and help carry John to his final resting place on Monday. I will salute him for one last time, aman..a Leader and Soldier who had led thousands over the course of time. God speed John.

One never knows what kind of internal demons a person struggles with. Many people, especially warriors, are often successful at keeping them from others. But they can be very real just the same.

Hate to hear this. I don't recall ever having met Jon. But it sounds like he was a heck of a guy. Sad to hear.

Top Bottom