• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    On my way home from family Orlando vacation and stopped by my MECCA Glock inc to have a set of Glock Night Sights added to my EDC Glock-27. I have carried this BSA prefix baby .40 for years and years and years. My life insurance policy, it and bigger brother a G-23, never strayed far from my side. Today I stopped by Glock hqs in Smyrna Ga off I-75, signed in, met a service tech and anticipated a quick turn around on my baby, sad to say the Glock Armorer noticed a crack on the left side of my frame above the top pin hole.

Like taking your dog into the vet for something and being told it has to be put down. I dont know how many thousands of rounds through it, it broke its slide lock spring a month ago. I had the option to have the frame replaced free and the frame shipped to my Indy FFL.

I just couldnt do it. (Flame on if you want) but I carried that baby Glock through thick and thin, as either EDC or BUG since 1998. I have the original box, and into the safe it go's....................a worthless hunk of plastic some wil say, but we went back a long way, think of it as Glock Retirement. I'll get another, I have a G-26 for the near future, but sad day it was, Glock gave me a letter diagnosing its terminal value and standing offer to anytime replace the frame, Funny how you can get attached to some ol gun, I bet you Glock guys understand.

Oh well, in Dalton GA now, back home soon.

:dunno::patriot::ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like G23. Could even go as far as my being attached to it. But I would have taken them up on the new frame.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I still can have a new frame, I have a letter from them saying so, but again, its not dead, just unserviceable for carry or duty, for sentimental value like a WWII bring back, into the safe it go's and a new carry piece comes out. It means much to me as is, just not a daily carry or shooter anymore.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    The frame is the gun, a slide and internals are organs that can be used for a new Glock to be born. Get the new gun, give it life with the slide and internals of your old gun. Its what your 23 would want. Then get a nice box to keep your old frame in. Its part of the grieving process.

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Some might think it a strange sentiment, holding on to a 'useless' gun. I commend you for being in a place in your life where you can put a gun in your safe that is pretty much an heirloom. I have an old Ruger .22 revolver that was my Grandfathers, that pretty much all of his grandsons learned to shoot. A few years ago, a crack was noticed on the frame. More people than I care to think about told me to send it off to Ruger to be looked at, and they could either fix or replace it. It was then that the gun went into the safe, only to be taken out for conversations and cleaning. I could never imagine 'his' gun in any other condition than the way it is right now.
    Thank you for having principle.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Got back last night, took the frame apart and put it under the jewlers magnifying goggles I have, looks more like a stress fracture, does not extend into the top left side trigger pin hole. Does not flex open when I flex the frame, 3/4 across the frame top from the inside though. I understand Glocks concern, like the armorer said will probably get worse over time, So............I put it back on duty today, carried it all day, old friend worked fine last time I put 50 rds through it two weeks ago before I left on vacation. I think it will be just fine as a carry piece, I trust it, Think I will just get a LEO authorization number from Trijicon and send the slide in for N/S refurbish. I go to the Glock Armorers class again 9 July at the Hamilton County Sheriffs Department, I will take it with me and get a 2nd opinion. They say retire it, and I will.:dunno::ingo::patriot:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would hate to see that gun come apart in your hand when you go to fire it again, IMHO, a crack in the frame means its a dangerous time bomb waiting to happen. I would not carry it...

That's like saying you have a race horse with a slightly fractured leg, and you put it in another race...might survive this race, might not.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some might think it a strange sentiment, holding on to a 'useless' gun. I commend you for being in a place in your life where you can put a gun in your safe that is pretty much an heirloom. I have an old Ruger .22 revolver that was my Grandfathers, that pretty much all of his grandsons learned to shoot. A few years ago, a crack was noticed on the frame. More people than I care to think about told me to send it off to Ruger to be looked at, and they could either fix or replace it. It was then that the gun went into the safe, only to be taken out for conversations and cleaning. I could never imagine 'his' gun in any other condition than the way it is right now.
    Thank you for having principle.

Ok, I'm a Glock guy through and through, but I just can't get to the same place of Grandpa's old Ruger revolver to my EDC Glock. If it needs to be put down for the greater good, shoot it and give me a new one.

I'd have probably been on them more to provide me an all new gun with all the matching numbers myself, although these days that could cause you some trouble too as you could all of the sudden end of with some BTF issues, although I have not seen that out of my 40's.

Put that old tired dog out of its misery and holster up the new companion.

It's like breaking a hammer that you've used a lot and the tool company offering you a brand new one. Take it, deal done.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    You do have issues.:laugh:

They are built to work. Reliable. They are "almost" indestructible with parts a plenty, that's why we buy the ugly plastic guns. And they even said they would replace your frame at no charge...WTF ! With respect, Stop being such a drama queen and get the useless pile of plastic and damaged metal out of your safe and get it fixed so it may save your life or the life of someone you care for once again.

Once fixed, it can renew its place in your heart and possibly do some good. Look at it like a new set of boobs for your gun. Simple.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

They are built to work. Reliable. They are "almost" indestructible with parts a plenty, that's why we buy the ugly plastic guns. And they even said they would replace your frame at no charge...WTF ! With respect, Stop being such a drama queen and get the useless pile of plastic and damaged metal out of your safe and get it fixed so it may save your life or the life of someone you care for once again.

Once fixed, it can renew its place in your heart and possibly do some good. Look at it like a new set of boobs for your gun. Simple.

Yep, its kind of like crying over a piece of Tupperware hat melted in the dishwasher, but at the same time not wanting to send it back under the replacement warranty.

Send them that frame and get a new one. I'd have let the Glock guy keep it just top start the process of getting it back that much quicker.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I can't say I blame you at all. Like you said a gun you depend almost becomes part of your family. When I talk about getting my wife a new carry gun and put her glock on the safe, she won't even consider it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

:laugh: Wow I am impressed! You managed to mention boobs in a post about a cracked frame. Repped

Top Bottom