• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    just wondering... I recently shot 2 s&w revolvers (out of the box), one a snubby and the other a 686 with 6 inch barrel. I'm not a terrible shot, but I was shooting high off the page with both of these. To get on target I needed to hold a very "sub 6 o'clock" sight picture, ie. the bottom edge of the target sits on top of the sights. Someone told me this was a common preference for bullseye shooting and smith may have set them up that way intentionally. With my glock I cover the target and it shoots where I point. Anyone else notice this with smiths? Is this really a common sight setup? If the sights are fixed, what can you do without defacing the gun?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You say snubby and 686. Is the snubby a J frame with fixed sights or something else?

Are you shooting 38 special or 357 Magnum, and what bullet weight? What distance are you shooting, on what target?

Fixed sights are normally regulated for 158 bullets at about 15 yards. 110 and 125 bullets will print higher.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    yep, the snubby was a J-frame 637 fixed sights, but the 686 has adjustables. I was shooting 38 spl, 158 gr RN lead at about 35-40 feet. I was just surprised how I had to hold the sights to get on the paper. Maybe this is just an anomoly

Top Bottom