• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Received a little fun money for Christmas early so I chose to pickup a dedicated .22 black evil rifle. Also bought a box of Federal 333 and now I just have to get to the range for a test run. I installed my Millett Red dot, broom handle & UTG rail covers for starters but I can just imagine where this is gonna lead on accessories. Next will be a fake suppressor of some sort but will probably wait till S&W offers one for it.

DSC_0167800x600.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Midwest Gun Exchange here in Mishawaka has these on sale for $399.00 till January 15th according to their mailing if anyone is interested.

I can't justify the cost of the stamp and the suppressor for this particular gun, especially with it only being a .22 but thought a *fake can or flash hider would make a nice look see addition. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    It appears i'm going to need a 3/4" high picatinny riser for the red dot. Problem is most all websites are showing these without height specs and only showing the length.

Does anyone have a link to a affordable picatinny riser that is 3/4" high ?

My goal is to mount this Millett red dot scope and still be able to have the iron sights mounted.

EDIT: I just found a Promag pm066 3/4" riser that should work.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I need a second .22 loaner for training and really am looking at these. They feel fine and are light enough for my kids (my 5 year old said it was fine :): ).

Accuracy appears to be there too:

DSC08444.jpg

Been doing the math and it looks just about doable..

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I held one of these and also the Colt version (.22), and the Colt seemed more like a real AR. Not saying the M&P isn't a good rifle, just that the Colt seemed more identical to the original.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I held one of these and also the Colt version (.22), and the Colt seemed more like a real AR.

The ONLY thing the Umarex/Colt has going for it is a more realistic weight due to its metal upper/lower receivers, and a threaded muzzle (requires a P22 thread adapter). In ALL other respects (parts compatibility, manual of arms), the S&W is more like a "real AR".

My :twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The ONLY thing the Umarex/Colt has going for it is a more realistic weight due to its metal upper/lower receivers, and a threaded muzzle (requires a P22 thread adapter). In ALL other respects (parts compatibility, manual of arms), the S&W is more like a "real AR".

Yeah, it's the trigger swap and 90 degree safety switch that I am interested in.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I just don't see investing several hundred in a dedicated AR.22 when the conversion kits that are out and available run and run. If you spent $700 on the conversion kit, mags and .22lr you've got quite a package and a trainer that it just like---perfectly the same as--- your AR.:twocents:

I am also kinda down on S&W, this rifle, as it is new and does not seem to have all the bugs worked out.

Right, wrong?

I guess I'd just rather shoot my AR w/ a kit and get the same time in than shoot a different operating rifle.

That being said: I am still hoping to get together with Paintball Addiction and shoot his GSG5 for the fun of it! We can have fun right?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

I didn't think the M&P had a forward assist either.

But what do I know...:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I didn't think the M&P had a forward assist either.

It doesn't. But to be fair, all my 5.56 ARs have that "feature," but I've never had the need to use it. The FA is also rendered non-functional when my Ciener .22 kit is installed. Perhaps "ALL" was a bit of an overstatement, but the use of the FA is not part of the AR manual of arms as I have learned it from several different instructors.

Finally, the Umarex/Colt appears to have a forward assist, but like the bolt catch lever, it is nonfunctional.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I received and installed some utg rail covers but couldn't wait for the rail scope riser. I headed to the range today and have a positive report. I fired 150 rounds of Federal bulk and not one FTE or FTF and surprisingly with this ammo, no duds. Everything went off without a hitch and so far a happy new S&W MP15-22 owner!

I would have fired more rounds but the weather was not too nice out there today.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Officially ready for range

I added some more goodies but the list includes a Millett SP-1 red dot, ProMag 3/4" riser, UTG rail covers, broom handle, and a hogue grip with a RRA grip plug. Last mod but not yet done is the barrel threading for a flash hider.

Yeah I know, I said last mod but I know better than that
    smile.gif

Nice thing with the ProMag riser, it sets the scope perfectly in alignment with the stock iron sights. The dot is right on top of the front post and can be easily seen through the rear sight. Just turn off the red dot for use of the irons.

:patriot:

SW1522800x600.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    CWood led me to a gentlemen in Minnesota that threads barrels so I sent the 15-22 barrel up to him and glad I did. Thanks CWood, rep to ya!

Threads800x600.jpg

Installed a RRA A2 flash hider

DSC_0199800x600.jpg

Top Bottom