• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have one...like it. My brother has one just like it and he didn't like the trigger and got an Apex for his...

I have really big hands...and it feels just fine in my hand with the pinky extension on the magazine.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I had one a few years ago. Just loved the way it felt in my hands, the ergonomics and grip angle were excellent for me. But the trigger... oy. Felt like pulling a stick through gritty sand, I didn't like it at all. My understanding is that more recent models have a trigger more in line with the Shield, but I don't know if that's true, or if it is, when Smith started doing it.

With the relationship Smith used to have with Walther, it would have been great if the Walther trigger designs/smoothness would have made their way into the M&P line.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Have had my 9c for a few years. The trigger was awful (false reset, among other things), so I put the Apex duty kit in it. It's great, now, and my regular carry gun when I can carry a double stack. I like the size (little bigger than a G26, little smaller than a G19), and with the flush magazine, it can fit in the pocket of my winter coat.

They may have improved the trigger since I bought mine. However, with the exception of the Pro, I haven't seen an M&P that couldn't be improved with an Apex kit. I have a new Shield, no safety. Trigger was much better out of the box than my compact, but the Apex trigger kit made it a lot better.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My brother I 'think' thought my trigger was better than his. I think we bought them about a year apart. Not sure if mine has an 'improved trigger' or I just suck bad enough at shooting I'm not smart enough to know there's a difference.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have boht the full size 9 and the compact 9. I love them both. For now, only the compact has the Apex trigger set, and the difference is very noticable. I carry the compact 85% of the time, and when I choose to conceal it does so very nicely. I love how it fits my hand, and it points very naturally. If you ever in central Indy I'd be glad to let you try it out.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If you already own the shield, getting a compact is kinda moot, and vice versa. Just an opinion.

I bought my M&P's out of order. First the compact, then the 5" Pro, then the full size, then the Shield.

Seriously, I see your point. I carry a single stack 9 when I'm in dress clothes (every day) where a gun belt isn't practical. A small single stack 9 does well without a proper gun belt (for me, anyway). I've found that the double stack compact is too heavy for a regular belt, but with casual clothes and proper gun belt, I like the 12+1 rounds.

However, I've been trying the Shield out with my casual clothes, proper gun belt, and it is very, very comfortable. Especially with the spare mag being single stack as well. 7+1 rounds in a defense pistol isn't too shabby.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I looked at the 9c and the Shield for something smaller than a Glock. The Shield fit my hand better and actually seemed longer in the grip. Carry the Shield everyday and will, till Glock comes out with the single stack 9.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I had and carried a 9 compact for about 6 months before I sold it to buy a shield 9. I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I needed in a carry gun. I sold it because I needed a slimmer gun to carry.I will say that the 9c is a accurate full-bodied handgun with the pinky extension. Without the pinky extension I could never get a full grip.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My wife's go to pistol. I shot it some and liked it but prefer a G-19. Now it serves her purposes very well and it as accurate as anything in the lineup. Apex trigger setup makes a big difference in "shootability" .

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I EDC my compact. I hit better with it than my FS or 5" pro (Likely because I practice with the compact more than the other two)
    I like being able to carry a 17 round backup mag to go with it.
    My fingers are a bit long, and I prefer the 'beefier' grip when compared to the shield. Though my pinky doesn't make contact (without a pinky extension mag) it doesn't seem to affect my shooting. Recoil seems a little less snappy than the shield. ymmv

ETA: I gather the triggers are better now, based on comments I have heard here and from people who have shot mine.
    I have an apex kit in the 5" pro. The trigger is much more sensitive yes, but I have not felt the need to do any trigger mod to my compact, and I shoot just fine with the stock trigger. A little grit was felt in the beginning, but that smooths out over time.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have carried SIG's, S&W Revolvers (near and dear to me) Beretta's both DA/SA and DAO. Rugers, Glocks and a few othes over the years for work. I bought my first S&W M&P around 2007 and love them. They are very well made and great quality and work and work and work.

I have a M&P compact 9mm that I carry about everyday. If it isin't that it is my fullsize M&P 9. I bought the M&P 45 full size in 2007. I liked the 45 so much I got the full size M&P 9mm. I then finding myself not using the 45 sold it and bought my Daughter a M&P 9 compact. Then a couple years later got rid of a Glock 27 for my own M&P compact. My Son in Law also bought his own full size M&P 9mm.

The one thing is I have have had or fired several M&P's from 2007 until my new one I purchased in 2012 and none of the triggers on any of them or any of the several others I have fired were bad so to hear the amount of complaints on them not really sure what thats about. Not saying there hasn't been an issue but I have fired enough variety of them over several years of manufacture I couldn't find an issue on one.

The main thing as with any concealed EDC pistol is practice and also invest in a good quality holster and you will be fine. the M&P compact will be slightly bulkier and longer and will be wider because of the wider grip and 12 round mag vs the shield but other than that No real negative issues.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I carry my S&W 40c every day really like it. My trigger is not bad it shoots great and hides almost as well as the shield spare mag is the full size with X-grip extender.

Top Bottom