• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am very close to getting a S&W M&P 40. Is there anything I should know that could change my mind?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Nothing should change your mind if that if the gun you have determined to be right for you. It's a solid gun and you should be happy with it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    To do it all over again I would have gotten the M&P 40 and then the conversion barrel. That way you have the ability to shoot both calibers without the hardware of 2 guns.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I ALMOST went that direction. But then I tried one with the smallest back strap and it was "OK"...but not quite as good a fit as the XDms with the smallest back piece.

Of course if you don't have crazy small hands like me then this is of no concern.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    The plan is to get a 9mm conversion barrel too. I like options, especially since the 9mm is a good round on its own.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    If you haven't fired the M&P I recommend you do so before you buy it. There seems to be a love hate thing with the trigger. Personally I like it much better than the Glock or XD triggers. I liked it better out of the box, and it improved dramatically with some aftermarket parts. It just feels better on my finger. I love all 3 of mine, and will be looking for the 45 in the near future.

Some people find it gritty and say it has an odd feel.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The plan is to get a 9mm conversion barrel too. I like options, especially since the 9mm is a good round on its own.

Which barrel are you going with? I have the .40 Pro and would like to get a barrel at some point.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Check the striker before you put down the cash.

The first round of MIM strikers did have some issues which is why S&W redesigned it to a completely stainless steel piece.

Other than that it's a little more sensitive than a Glock in the assembly/disassembly and oil needs. But it is a fine weapon if you like the balance grip and trigger it's worth taking the extra time and care with it, it may just save your life.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I am a M&P fan big time, but when making my choice I had traded into a XD in 40 and I went and borrowed a glock so at that one time I had all three.

I can't do glocks they just are like holding a 2x2 and just not my cup of tea, I was not accurate with it due to lack of positive grip.

The xd is a fine pistol and the guy I traded it off to actually can shoot the xd better than the M&P he owns (he has kind of sausage fingers)

I settled on the M&P and really get along with them I have 2 one for carry and one for matches the carry has just the apex sear the match one has the complete sear and spring kit

If I could find a 40 Pro I would buy it but for combat and UPSA the M&P is plenty accurate enough.

If I was really wanting to game up on upsa production class I would get a M&P in 9 and get light springs for it and shoot really really light 9's but thats not practical for self defense its just gaming.

In conclusion I can't think of a single reason to not buy the M&P 40 or the Pro

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Daily carrier of a .40c and I love it. Have plans of getting the 40L in the near future. If it feels comfortable to you, theres no reason you shouldn't.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I know that the front sight dot has a tendency to fall off. That can be cheaply and easily remedied though. That's all I can think of. I thought I was going to try to pick up a Ruger SR1911 but I've managed to pull a complete 180 and now I'm researching the M&P series as well. The best solution to my dilemma would be to buy both.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I cant think of a single thing i dont like about my M&P 40, i've shot over 1500 rounds through it flawlessly. My only recomendation would be to get the M&P 40 PRO if you can, it has a better trigger pull and a little longer barrel

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    If you buy an M&P and you shoot it and dont like the trigger give apex a call and get the DAEK and that will put the trigger problems to rest. The main thing i don't like on a stock M&P is the sights. The 3 white dots just aren't the best. As for the striker issue they have had in the past i will just say both of my M&P 9mm have the old type strikers in them. I called S&W and they sent me the new redesigned striker for no charge at all. I will not change the stock strikers until i have or notice a problem. I don't think you can go wrong with any M&P you choose to buy, I have a 9L and a full size 9. The 9L is my USPSA gun and my Full size is a nightstand gun. Hope this helps ya

Top Bottom