• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    I'm getting ready to sell a S&W model 17-4 and I'm not sure if it is a "pinned" model or not. I want to describe it accurately when I list it so I'm trying to determine what exactly they are referring to by the term "pinned" on S&W revolvers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    66-1Mag.jpg

It refers to the barrel being pinned to the frame. If your revolver is pinned, you'll be able to see a pin on the frame, just behind where it meets the barrel. You can see it in this pic, but it is in the out-of-focus part in the top of the image, just in front of the cylinder.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I see that mentioned a lot of times for S&W's, but why does it matter? Is one more desireable if it is pinned, or not?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I see that mentioned a lot of times for S&W's, but why does it matter? Is one more desireable if it is pinned, or not?

Many S&W aficionados prefer the older guns with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder face. Whether or not these features provide any demonstrable benefit compared to the current production style, I don't know.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The theory is that a pinned barrel is less likely to come loose. S&W obviously feels that this is not true, S&W owners tend to value the pinned barrels. The recessed cylinders really don't do anything except make the gun more attractive, but then, that's part of what makes something desirable.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Thank you for the explanation. I'm looking for 2 older S&W's and have seen the pinned barrel mentioned, but as they say, I didn't know what I didn't know. Now I know!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    The recessed Cyls only apply to 22cal.and 44 . none of the other calibers were recessed . IT is a way to identify some models in the Smith &Wesson lines and to collectors that believe that the older Smiths were better fitted . you will also see the 3 T 's , target trigger, target hammer and target stocks applied to Smith & Wesson's

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The recessed Cyls only apply to 22cal.and 44 . none of the other calibers were recessed . IT is a way to identify some models in the Smith &Wesson lines and to collectors that believe that the older Smiths were better fitted . you will also see the 3 T 's , target trigger, target hammer and target stocks applied to Smith & Wesson's

False. S&W recessed most of the cylinders on their guns at one time or other. The 66-1 pictured in my avatar is pinned and recessed...

Top Bottom