• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I just bought the Bodyguard 380 and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. I truly hated the trigger pull on that thing. I read it was a little heavy but never dreamed it would be that bad. Also being a newbie, I had no idea that shooting rounds of 380 ammo would hurt so much! I had about 10 FTF out of 100 rounds. I'm extremely disappointed as I was going to use this as my CC. Oh well, back to the drawing board! :xmad:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Try out the KelTec P32. The recoil is not as bad, and you can keep shots on target easier. The KelTec has also never had a malfunction for me. People will tell you that it is not enough "stopping power", but I suggest you ask anyone that has been shot by one before you listen to the nay sayers.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Try out the KelTec P32. The recoil is not as bad, and you can keep shots on target easier. The KelTec has also never had a malfunction for me. People will tell you that it is not enough "stopping power", but I suggest you ask anyone that has been shot by one before you listen to the nay sayers.

Thanks for the recommendation...I know I could look this up but I'm still groggy from last night...is that another 380?

DukeDelaware

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Avon
    Don't give up on the Bodyguard. The trigger will break in. The more you shoot the lighter and more consistant the trigger pull. I have over a thousand rounds through mine, without one FTF. Shoot mostly Winchester white box. Also, Hornady critical defense is flawless. Good luck, and happy shooting.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Don't give up on the Bodyguard. The trigger will break in. The more you shoot the lighter and more consistant the trigger pull. I have over a thousand rounds through mine, without one FTF. Shoot mostly Winchester white box. Also, Hornady critical defense is flawless. Good luck, and happy shooting.

Thanks Duke...perhaps different ammo will solve my FTF issues...just not sure my hand can take much more abuse! :rolleyes:

DukeDelaware

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Avon
    Try some gloves at the range. Those multiple rounds do hand out some abuse. I use mechanics gloves for outdoor winter shooting. The have gel pockets which greatly reduce felt recoil. Might be worth the investment, usually around $20.00/pr. Trust me , the trigger will lighten up. Mine feels at least 2 pounds lighter.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i like mine, however it is not something i look forward to shooting a lot. most range trips with it are generally about 50 rounds, then i shoot the other guns i brought. yes, it does have a bit of recoil, but it does serve its purpose. i have about 500 rounds through mine, only issue was when the screw for the laser system came loose and jammed the gun. i didnt check it from the factory and it messed up first range trip. after that i did a forum search, found this was somewhat common, fixed it and have not had a single issue since. wouldnt be the first gun i grabbed given a choice, but i would not hesitate if my m&p werent readily available.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I too own a BG380. It does have pretty harsh recoil as one would expect from a small, lightweight pistol. It is purely a defensive, deep concealment weapon and, as such, exhibits some harsher characteristics.

With that said, the FTF's are being caused by limp-wristing. You need to practice with a two-hand wrap, TIGHT. Believe me, you will not have a problem with holding the gun tight if/when you are in a fight for your life. The problem is 80% YOU and 20% normal wearing in of the pistol's mechanisms. Also, that long trigger pull is why you can carry this thing in your pocket! It is a gun and is not meant to be comfy. Put only the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger and slowly pull back.

Not trying to be a jerk here, promise. The gun is what it is; a tremendous POCKET pistol.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I certainly appreciate all the feedback. I think I will get some gloves, at least for the break in period. I've heard about the laser screw coming loose. Would a drop of blue lock tight fix that issue or is that a bad idea? As far as limp wristing, I truly felt I had a good two handed grip, but I will concentrate on that more next time. I'm going to try different ammo as well. Thanks again everyone...this is why I love this site so much!
    :ingo:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Um, doesn't limp wristing give FTEs rather than FTFs? Yes it does. You could have a batch of bad primers (unlikely) or a slightly short pin or a weak spring. Fiocchi won't go into battery on mine, so I save it for the Sig; ymmv. Yes, the .380 is kind of a pud load, but it's a very light gun. Physics says the recoil may become tiresome. I have it for deep conceal backup, should I feel the need, EDC something entirely else.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    yes, blue locktite is a viable fix. it is what i would have done to mine if i had not stripped the screw head out grabbing the wrong allen wrench from my kit. i removed my laser entirely as its just one more button to push before getting to the trigger.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    yes, blue locktite is a viable fix. it is what i would have done to mine if i had not stripped the screw head out grabbing the wrong allen wrench from my kit. i removed my laser entirely as its just one more button to push before getting to the trigger.

Cool...might just have the guys at my LGS do that for me (they offered).:)

Yeah the laser is kind of fun for plinking but not sure if I would actually ever use it in real life. Nevertheless, it stays.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Thanks Duke...perhaps different ammo will solve my FTF issues...just not sure my hand can take much more abuse! :rolleyes:

IndyGal, a Hogue Handall Jr. REALLY helps on that bite. The trick is to install it upside down. That worked wonders for me. Also, here is a BG380 Bible that 'Georgia Shooter' put together. http://tinyurl.com/BG380BIBLE

IMG-20111224-00436.jpg

Here is a pic with the Hogue Handall Jr. it is placed on top my my Sig P230 for comparison. I needed to do a little trimming with an exacto.

Use a snap cap and dry fire it while you are watching TV or something. It will break in and smooth out.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Ok, I sat down and gave my BG some love...I hate to admit this rookie mistake, but I didn't clean her before taking her to the range...that could have caused some of my problems. Now with what I'm hoping was good cleaning and proper lubrication, she rakes much better! :D. Next step is to buy different ammo...hopefully it will perform better...as well as myself!! :ar15:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    IndyGal, a Hogue Handall Jr. REALLY helps on that bite. The trick is to install it upside down. That worked wonders for me. Also, here is a BG380 Bible that 'Georgia Shooter' put together. http://tinyurl.com/BG380BIBLE

IMG-20111224-00436.jpg

Here is a pic with the Hogue Handall Jr. it is placed on top my my Sig P230 for comparison. I needed to do a little trimming with an exacto.

Use a snap cap and dry fire it while you are watching TV or something. It will break in and smooth out.

Just saw your post...thanks for the link and the info on the grip!! :rockwoot:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Getting that Hogue Handall Jr. on there WILL be a PIA. Take your time but it will be worth the $10.

Here is a OWB for the BG.

IMG-20111224-00438.jpg

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Um, doesn't limp wristing give FTEs rather than FTFs? Yes it does. .
    Condescending much?:rolleyes: FTF's and FTE's can both be caused by limp wristing. FTE's moreso are the case. I KNOW this because I was prone to limp wristing this pistol. Once I got control of it and truly wrapped my hands around it to control the recoil, the FTF's and FTE's stopped.

Top Bottom