• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My fiance bought me a box(50rd) of S&B 124gr "LE TRAINING" ammo for xmas. Is that some marketing thing? My main question is that online they have it for 11.99 at Cabelas, the store has it for 15.99. Do they have to price match? I'd like to pick up a couple more boxes. Also, do you think it'd be a good carry round?

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Is this ammo hollow points? You don't want to carry anything that is full metal jackets unless you anticipate having to shoot through walls or something to get to your target. I also prefer the 147 Gr. variant of the 9mm bullet. The more weight will help the bullet keep energy as well as 147 Gr. bullets seem to expand the widest and nicest vs. other weights of 9mm bullets. For plinking purposes this ammo will be just fine. For self defense I recommend: Winchester PDX1, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal Hydra-shock are some of the brands off the top of my head that are acceptable. I hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The LE Training designation is probably because they have/had a hollowpoint offering with identical ballistics.

This is not a carry round. It'll zip right through your bad guy unless it hits bone - and even then, it might still leave. 9mm NATO is a horrible "man-stopper". For self defense, you need to carry a reliable expanding hollowpoint.

Nothing wrong with the ammo - but it is a training round intended to match up to a 124gr HP. Pick your carry rounds from a reliable US manufacturer. I prefer the 147gr Federal HydraShoks, but that's my personal preference.. There are many good reliable HP rounds available in all weights.

friedmarlin5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    The LE Training designation is probably because they have/had a hollowpoint offering with identical ballistics.

This is not a carry round. It'll zip right through your bad guy unless it hits bone - and even then, it might still leave. 9mm NATO is a horrible "man-stopper". For self defense, you need to carry a reliable expanding hollowpoint.

Nothing wrong with the ammo - but it is a training round intended to match up to a 124gr HP. Pick your carry rounds from a reliable US manufacturer. I prefer the 147gr Federal HydraShoks, but that's my personal preference.. There are many good reliable HP rounds available in all weights.
    Do you have a good source for the "147gr Federal HydraShoks" ?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Hydra-shoks are old technology. Go with a more modern bonded bullet such as Gold Dot, Golden saber bonded, Federal HST, Federal tactical, rander t's, even cor-bon dpx. There is a reason why most PD's have gotten away fron the hydra-shock and moved to a modern bullet design such as gold dots or hts's. Btw, gold dots are priced about the same as the old hydra shoks. INDYGUNWORKS has a thread on here with pics where different ammo was tested. It was amazing to see how poor some of the popular bullet designs performed. The Federal HST took the top prize of being the best performer that day.

Top Bottom