Not open for further replies.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Except she did have opportunity to retire under Obama. She could have enjoyed her last few years with her family.

Can 2020 get any crazier? I'm almost afraid of the answer. I will say one thing, if I were a Republican Senator, I'd make sure to have plenty of security.

I'll see your hypothetical and raise you 2014 and 2015, when she was encouraged to step down, and chose not to, because she did not believe any candidate was a suitable replacement for her, even if nominated by Obama.

As I recall, the context for that was that she had a chance to retire during Obama's last term, but wanted a couple more years on the bench, being sure that Clinton would win in 2016. She chose poorly because Clinton lost and she did not survive the next 4 years. So now Trump gets to put someone she would disapprove of on the bench.

I admit error and stand corrected.

Regards,

Doug

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If you're talking political strategery with the nomination, as much as I love ACB, Lagoa is the pick. She is Cuban, and guarantees FL and AZ (plus McSally in the Senate), by driving up Hispanic support.

I don't see demonizing of a Catholic to generate that much electoral play - at least, not the kind of play that would shift election outcomes.

My thoughts exactly. Lagoa is the best strategy pick. Trump nominates her, wins Florida, wins the election, and then there will be more SCOTUS selections for Trump in the next 4 years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was responding to a post that suggested appointing judges based upon "merit" and not politics....and ridiculing the idea. Nearly every judge I have ever met or encountered or heard about is a basically responsible adult.

That doesn't mean I want them making the big decisions. Conservative vs. Liberal isn't (or shouldn't be) a matter of having a team. To be succinct and blunt, on the controversial issues, generally liberals on the court make up their minds as to what they think the proper result is and find a way to justify it. Hopefully, conservatives care more about following the words and intent of Constitution as written including the separation of powers...hopefully.
    I guess “nearly all” covers the three idiots involved in the shooting because the strip club was closed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess “nearly all” covers the three idiots involved in the shooting because the strip club was closed.

I had them in mind. However, a trial court in west bum.....y’know, IN is still pretty far from any appellate court, let alone SCOTUS.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Alternate view: confirming a conservative RBG replacement before the election will utterly and completely demoralize the left, leading to an even bigger landslide, possibly even expanding the Senate and flipping the House.

I don’t think that at all. I think the more probable outcome is a pissed off democrat electorate will turn out hoping to gain the supermajorities (Or near to) in both houses, allowing for an expansion of the court, and general changing of house and senate rules. I’ve heard more than a few people say this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Lagoa is the best strategy pick. Trump nominates her, wins Florida, wins the election, and then there will be more SCOTUS selections for Trump in the next 4 years.

I think she’s the best pick too, but I’m having a hard time imagining him following through with it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    If you're talking political strategery with the nomination, as much as I love ACB, Lagoa is the pick. She is Cuban, and guarantees FL and AZ (plus McSally in the Senate), by driving up Hispanic support.

I don't see demonizing of a Catholic to generate that much electoral play - at least, not the kind of play that would shift election outcomes.

Interesting...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

I watched a stream with Robert Barnes, and he advocated for Lagoa too. His arguments were persuasive, and similar to yours. He was also of the opinion that nominating Lagoa is a smart political play because it uses intersectionality (female, Latina, Cuban descent, daughter of immigrants) against any Democrats who oppose her nomination.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    But the left will say "that's the only reason Trump nominated her" and then say she's not fit for the role because she Sharted in the 5th grade (or insert any other crazy, half assed reason why she's unfit)

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    In another thread, a couple days ago, I opined and lamented about about the partisanship of the appointed jurists. Unfortunately, it's reality of the situation.

Having said that, now is the time for Trump to appoint a hardcore Second Amendment proponent. This is the time for idealism to get punched in the nose by realism. 2A above all other considerations.
    ^^^THIS^^^

In spite of being an activist ideologue, Ginsburg was confirmed 96-4. Then when the tables turned, the dems brought us:

"Borking"

simple majority for confirmation

"biden rule" that a prez can't make appointments in an election year (unless he's named Merrick Garland).

The 2A isn't the only part of the Constitution they don't respect. Like eric holder said: "kick 'em when they're down"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After she/it checks in with Satan I hope she/it says Hi to the Kennedy's, Spec, Manson etc. In any event she/it will not be lacking for the company of her fellow far left Marxists and mass murderers while in He!!.

OK people. I have shut this down once but some folks just do not get it.
    Keep it on the rails please.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    But the left will say "that's the only reason Trump nominated her" and then say she's not fit for the role because she Sharted in the 5th grade (or insert any other crazy, half assed reason why she's unfit)
    They won't accept the nominee anyway. Why make it easy for them?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

I enjoy your optimism, and agree with Lagoa for the pick for reasons stated up-thread (most especially her recent approval w/ 80 votes), but Cubans don't make up that much of FL's population, and I'm not convinced a Cuban nominee necessarily gives the broad-based Hispanic boost you anticipate, especially in AZ. Hialeah, however, would be a shoo in ;)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    :laugh::rofl::lmfao::lol2: There is no person in the world Trump could nominate they would not vilify.

This 1000%. He could nominate Obama and the left would call him a racist for pandering. There is literally nothing he could do that they would approve of. Nothing.

That seems to be the main difference in my opinion between leftists and conservatives. If Obama had pushed some pro 2A legislation, he would’ve been given credit by conservatives. There is nothing that the leftist media would ever give Trump credit for. Ever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm still rooting for ACB. I hope Trump picks her despite all of this "wise political move" talk.

I have nothing against Lagoa, but I hope the pres picks the best for the job rather than the best political move. Lagoa can be next, the same as ACB was for getting Kavanaugh in. As young as she is, she could be actually Trump's 5th appointment to the court.

Pretty sure Obama gained NO additional latino support from appointing the "wise latino woman" to the court?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom