• S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    Looking for advise.

I have been eyeing a Rugar 22/45 for Steel Challenge and USPSA events. The model number is 10140, and it simulates the 1911 feel and shape.

Buds Gun Shop lists it for $291 with free shipping.

The question is, can this price be beat?

Is there a "better pistol" at this price range that is as flexible to modify later?

Also, I'll be needing some extra magazines, where's the best place to get them and at what cost?

I don't mind paying shipping if the offset is IN sales tax or vise versa. I have access to a FFL.

Thanks;

Tom

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The newer Rugers, the MKIII pistols, seem to be their most problematic ones. There are plenty of Ruger-philes who won't touch the MkIII due to the nanny features.

BUT, the LCI and the mag safety can, supposedly, be easily removed/defeated by almost anyone who can also field-strip and reassemble one of the Ruger pistols. I think I've heard that someone on Rimfire Central sells plugs for the gap if the LCI is removed; not sure though.

If you're going to shoot steel with one, you'd have to defeat the mag safety anyway as one of the rules is to dry-fire and make safe before you leave the shooting line...

I own a MkII 22/45 and I rather enjoy shooting it. It's not nearly as accurate (in my hands) as I'd hoped for, but that's another story. I also have a Tactical Solutions threaded upper on my pistol; perhaps that's the difference?

Anyhow: In general, the Ruger pistols are fantastic. They're, robust, end-user serviceable and upgradeable, and should outlast the owner even with thousands of rounds per year.

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Anyhow: In general, the Ruger pistols are fantastic. They're, robust, end-user serviceable and upgradeable, and should outlast the owner even with thousands of rounds per year.

-J-

I have a MarkI and I love to shoot it. It was my Dad's. Now, if they weren't a pain in the a$$ to field strip... :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Tom, between $250 and $300 for a MkIII 22/45 is the going rate.

I prefer the MkII 22/45s.

1255352399.jpg

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    i love my 22/45 and so does my grandson and that scares me,cause i know me i'll be lookin for a new one soon. he'll have old fathfull and i 'll be without !!!!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    T

If you're going to shoot steel with one, you'd have to defeat the mag safety anyway as one of the rules is to dry-fire and make safe before you leave the shooting line...

I

Use a Empty Chamber Indicator or just insert a empty mag and pull the trigger. I use a 22/45 MKIII (stock) for steel and haven't had one issue so far.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    The newer Rugers, the MKIII pistols, seem to be their most problematic ones. There are plenty of Ruger-philes who won't touch the MkIII due to the nanny features.

BUT, the LCI and the mag safety can, supposedly, be easily removed/defeated by almost anyone who can also field-strip and reassemble one of the Ruger pistols.

-J-

Personally I prefer the MkIII with the Luger style grip, just me though. I removed the mag safety/disconnect on my MkIII, and replaced it with 2 5mm, and one #10 SS flat washers. Simple to do, the hardest part was getting the receiver/barrel off the frame, and getting it realighned so the mainspring pin would fit the hole in the receiver. Nothing like beating on a new pistol with a deadblow mallet.:n00b:

FNS is the main reason I removed the mag safety. I didn't want to have to carry an empty mag to use to dry fire it. It's also much easier to disassemble for cleaning.

I know some don't like the LCI, but IMO it is no big deal. It dosen't interfear with the function of the pistol, so again IMO who cares.:dunno: It isn't something worth dogging the MkIII's over the MkI or the MkII's.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Use a Empty Chamber Indicator or just insert a empty mag and pull the trigger. I use a 22/45 MKIII (stock) for steel and haven't had one issue so far.

Thanks for the correction, singlesix. Not that I've ever participated in FNS, but I PRESUMED that the mag well had to be empty upon "dry fire" to show chamber clear and pin dropped.

-J-

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Thanks for the correction, singlesix. Not that I've ever participated in FNS, but I PRESUMED that the mag well had to be empty upon "dry fire" to show chamber clear and pin dropped.

-J-

Other clubs don't require you to drop the pin for rimfire due to possible damage. It is ECI or visual inspection by the RO.

You haven't done FNS .. come on and give it a try.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Other clubs don't require you to drop the pin for rimfire due to possible damage. It is ECI or visual inspection by the RO.

You haven't done FNS .. come on and give it a try.

I watched a match last fall, that count for anything? :n00b: :laugh:

Now it's too cold for me. I'm a fair-weather shooter type of guy. hehe

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    i have the 22/45 target and it shoots great no problems at all. seems like i gave around 245 or so at granger guns i didnt think that was bad.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    If you get a 22/45, I suggest you get the model with the removable grip panels. The standard 22/45 was wayyyy too narrow for me. I ended up selling it the first month I had it and got a Mark III competition target.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    If you get a 22/45, I suggest you get the model with the removable grip panels.

The standard 22/45 was wayyyy too narrow for me. I ended up selling it the first month I had it and got a Mark III competition target.

Yeah, the model #P512MKlllRP / 10140 is their newest model that has the replaceable grips. I think the thickness is the same across all Mark lll 22/45's but not a "big" concern because my two boy's will be using the gun as well.

Thanks

Top Bottom