• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I recently bought a ruger standard 22 from the 70's. I love the gun for carrying around the property for varmints. VERY accurate and easy to shoot. My question is that I get the occasional FTE. Usually The 2nd or 3rd round. Doesn't happen every time but seems to be worse with certain brands of ammo. Does this sound pretty normal for these guns? It doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't happen all the time.:dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not normal. Give it a thorough cleaning, and see if that helps. Sometimes the magazine or action can get gunked up and cause things to not run smoothly, especially in an older 22 semiauto.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt (have gunsmith do it).

I have found Singer sewing machine oil to be a great lube for Ruger .22 autos. It is very light, like a zero weight motor oil (I'd say a 50 to 60 vis.).

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned several of these and they are very reliable. 22 shells are very dirty. Clean it good and that will probably cure the problem.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not normal. Give it a thorough cleaning, and see if that helps. Sometimes the magazine or action can get gunked up and cause things to not run smoothly, especially in an older 22 semiauto.

^^^^This^^^ Also, clean the MAGAZINES. They can get gunked up too.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Thanks for all the replies. I cleaned it without taking completely apart. Removed grips and cleaned as well as i could. Still does it. It does feel "gunky" to me. Think i'll take it to a gunsmith. I really want this gun to work as i love the accuracy and like carrying it when out in the woods.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Still feels gunky.

Well firearms from back when pretty much have the same thing in common.

WD40 and Hoppes. Chances are someone, sometime, put either in it. Over the years, both go to hell

WD40 should never be put into a gun, and Hoppes....well it's what they had back then, but thankfully much better stuff today.

Just take the bolt out (it's not too hard) and give it a good wipe down and get a 12 gauge cleaning brush into the receiver and flush out the debris. It should remove the nastiness that's making it have issues

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Do you have, or know anyone who has, an ultrasonic cleaner. I've found that they will take gunk out of places you didn't know you had sometimes. Might do the trick. When done, rinse it VERY well in hot water. Use a heat gun or blow drier to get all of the water out, then use a high grade oil.
    Luck,
    Jim

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Gave it to a buddy(fellow ingo'r) to clean as he is pretty familiar with these guns. Said it "looked like it had never been cleaned". Gonna get it back tomorrow and run some rounds thru it. Thanks for all the input. I'll reply with rersults. :ingo:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    No ammo is more inconsistent than 22 and for that reason (IMHO) 22s are known for being ammo sensitive.. Find the ammo that is likes and have at it. :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[FONT=&quot][/FONT][/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Cleaned thoroghly. now problem is ejecting. stovepipe every 6 or 7 rounds. tried gripping different...didnt seem to change anything. tried 2 different brands of ammo. no change. i would try more brands of ammo but it's not you can just run out and pick and choose. ammo used was winchester and federal. guess i'll take it to a gunsmith.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The recoil spring, the little fork in the rear that the mainspring housing rests against, by chance is an ear broken off of that? I've seen a couple with FTE issues when that ear is busted off.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I feel your pain. My '58 Standard has problems ejecting as well. Been meaning to send it back to Ruger for their $80 or so rebuild package. Just haven't had the money to spend on it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you read the prepper threads on 22 pistols almost all state to have an extra ejector for ruger pistols. That would be a nice little project for you to install yourself and the part is available. Order two one for you and one for your grandson.

Do you have just one mag? If so it could be a mag issue but FTE is not the usual suspect.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I recently bought a ruger standard 22 from the 70's. I love the gun for carrying around the property for varmints. VERY accurate and easy to shoot. My question is that I get the occasional FTE. Usually The 2nd or 3rd round. Doesn't happen every time but seems to be worse with certain brands of ammo. Does this sound pretty normal for these guns? It doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't happen all the time.:dunno:

I think you already found the problem. A good cleaning followed by a proper oiling with better ammo and i would be willing to bet your problem goes away. Try something like mini mags after you have cleaned it. The wife just got a sig 1911-22 and it ran like crap with Winchester bulk stove pipes, fails to eject, fails to chamber etc... Handed her a box of mini mags out of the range bag ran like it should.

I'll shoot a brick at the range and i can feel the differences in the loads cheap bulk is cheap for a reason.

Top Bottom