• ...and so much more!
  • MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Greetings--

I'm seriously considering the SR9 for a good combo home defense / CC / OC / range gun. It will be my only gun for now. Here are my reasons:

1) size/weight: seems like a nice balance between not too big / not too small for all my needs. The thinness makes it unique.

2) price: I want to spend around $400, but also want something well made that will last. Ludco quote me a price of $450. I'm planning to call and/or make a trip to the Plainfield shop to see what they can do.

3) American made.

4) 9mm ammo is relatively easy to find and not too expensive.

So, after doing a fair bit of research, it seems like a nice fit for all my needs, but am interested in further feedback, especially from actual owners especially because I haven't gotten to actually shoot one (no one I know has one, no shop w/ range nearby). Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions for other guns that satisfy the above criteria?

Best,
    -M

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    used GLOCK 19 4 mags Fiber Optic Sights for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $449.00

Just a little something else in that price range, I have irrational hate for ruger products, based of constant bad experiences, both in poor machining and relaiblity issues as well as a few overhyped and then disapointing products, I avoid them like the plague, but trry not to bad mouth them. I hope someone can provide a review for you I however sugest avoiding them

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Greetings--

I'm seriously considering the SR9 for a good combo home defense / CC / OC / range gun. It will be my only gun for now. Here are my reasons:

1) size/weight: seems like a nice balance between not too big / not too small for all my needs. The thinness makes it unique.

2) price: I want to spend around $400, but also want something well made that will last. Ludco quote me a price of $450. I'm planning to call and/or make a trip to the Plainfield shop to see what they can do.

3) American made.

4) 9mm ammo is relatively easy to find and not too expensive.

So, after doing a fair bit of research, it seems like a nice fit for all my needs, but am interested in further feedback, especially from actual owners especially because I haven't gotten to actually shoot one (no one I know has one, no shop w/ range nearby). Alternatively, does anyone have suggestions for other guns that satisfy the above criteria?

Best,
    -M

American made, but NOT American owned... someone else outside the country is still getting the final check.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, who currently owns the controlling share or Ruger stock then? The family of the late founder still owned about 20% of the stock last I heard.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    As I was doing my kid in a candy store thing at Gander Mtn. the other day I happened upon an SR9 and just had to pick it up. I'm a Ruger fan from way back, my first full sized autoloader was a P90. Great gun. Anyhoo, the SR9 is impressively slim, and light. I was astonished at the magazine capacity of 17. Wow. Not a Double action only fan myself, but this was a nice light gun, and could certainly get the job done for self/home defense, and looked like it'd be fun to target shoot with, too.
    PS +1 for Plainfield. They've already sold me a gun, and just don't know it yet. Good guys.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    American made, but NOT American owned... someone else outside the country is still getting the final check.

I'm not believing that until I see proof.

I've got a very rational love for Ruger products. I've never had any kind of a problem with one, including my SR9 or LCP. The SR9 is a great shooter and is all stainless and polymer. You could shoot it, not clean it, drag it through the mud, and put it away for a long time, then pull it out and shoot it again. The thing is rugged and reliable. I've got 7 or 800 rounds of a WIDE variety of ammo with not a single ftf.

Plainfield has the SR9 for $399. That's new, and not someone else's discarded Glock. And, it is indeed American designed and made. :patriot:

Lots of good 9mm guns on the market. This one is certainly one of them.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I am also an SR9 owner and lover. I've got around 1000 rounds through mine without a hiccup of any sort. It has very little muzzle flip. I can get quicker follow-up shots with this pistol than I've been able to with any other. You should be able to get one under 420. Also I really like the blackened (not blued) slide. It's some kind of hardened blackening on stainless steel. Seems to be very rugged. Mine shows no holster wear, but I've only had it for about 11 months. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to you. My favorite pistol hands down right now.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am close to 1,000 rounds through my SR9. I carry it daily either IWB M-TAC holster or OC Blackhawk holster. I love the pistol, It has eaten all rounds I have shot through it without a hiccup.

Second week I owned it I ran 200 rounds through it without cleaning or waiting for it to cool down, I shot as fast as I could reload. I run 124grain Speer Gold Dot's through it for self defense, ran a box of 30 through the firearm just fine. With all the misc rounds I have put through it, not FTF or FTE.

It is slime enough to carry IWB, trigger is good and crisp, very little take up. My only complaint is manual safety, I don't like have them on any of my pistols. But other than that, I love this pistol and for all of the firearms I own under $500 I will never ever sell it. Let me know if you have any questions, just shoot me a PM. I am willing to meet up with you at a range if you would like as long as you are willing to buy the ammo and range time.

IMG_2183.jpg

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    thanks for all the feedback

Thanks to all for the good info....thus far most have confirmed that it is a worthy gun for consideration. And altho some disagree, most seem to really like Ruger for their quality and customer support.

Skoty- thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it soon. What range do you prefer to go to? I'm a relative newbie so if you can tolerate some questions I'd appreciate it. Cool picture also...I'm a thin guy so it seems to confirm my hopes that it will be a decent CC piece.

-Mike

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've owned a lot of Rugers over the years. Every single one of them has been rock solid reliable and accurate. I've not shot the SR9, but now that they've been out for a bit and Ruger has had a chance to get the bugs ironed out that any new design has, I'd not hesitate to try one out.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya

Just a little something else in that price range, I have irrational hate for ruger products, based of constant bad experiences, both in poor machining and relaiblity issues as well as a few overhyped and then disapointing products, I avoid them like the plague, but trry not to bad mouth them. I hope someone can provide a review for you I however sugest avoiding them

i would hate to see you talk about something youre intentionally setting out to badmouth then.

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I have an SR9 and would recommend the gun if it points well for you. Personally I like the slim grips and it points very naturally for me. I've run about 300 rounds through mine with no failures. The trigger was better than I expected. I purchased mine at Bradis (Blue w/ nickel slide) for about $430 as I remember.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I can only say that a very good friend (got my Bisley and one of my Mosins from him) has an SR9 and loves it. Shoots Cor-Bon very well. We both love Rugers, haven't been without one for 40 years.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Just curious as to what models gave you such disgust? Sure they were Rugers?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Something to consider:

"Like the Ruger P345, the SR9 has a magazine disconnector safety whose design seems all Ruger. With the magazine removed, the gun will not fire, however, it will go click, as if the gun misfired or the firing pin landed on an empty chambe"

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Something to consider:

"Like the Ruger P345, the SR9 has a magazine disconnector safety whose design seems all Ruger. With the magazine removed, the gun will not fire, however, it will go click, as if the gun misfired or the firing pin landed on an empty chambe"

My understanding is that "click" is the sound of the striker hitting the magazine safety. It's a safety in case there is still a round in the chamber. Some like this, some don't, but it is precisely why Ruger specifically instructs not to dry fire with the magazine removed. Repeated striker contact with the magazine safety will cause some wear, apparently, and degrade the trigger pull.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? It doesn't seem that big of a deal to me.
    :dunno:
    -Mike

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    There is a lot of talk on this at rugerforum.com in the semiauto section. (well, used to be when it first was gaining popularity), and for those of you that do not want it, it is VERY easily removed. This also brought up some questions on whether removing a "safety" (cringe) would cause a problem if you were in a SD situation. I don't believe it would, but some people could argue that it may have some merit to it. The way I see it is there are handguns without them currently made so why do I need it. I have removed mine as well as many other Rugerforum.com members.

It indeed can cause problems if dry-fired multiple times with magazine out (assuming the disconnect has not been removed). IIRC it actually damages the disconnect though, but can also contribute to a "gritty" trigger pull. I personally have removed mine, mainly for the dryfire issue, but also as a tactical issue if for some reason the mag would accidentally drop, I want to be able to fire at least one round to buy me time to recover the mag. Safety between the ears trumps the mag disconnect IMHO.

By the way, if any of you would like to look into removing the disconnect or polishing up some places to improve the trigger, Josh (jhearne) has a write up on all of it as a "sticky" in the Semiauto pistols section at Rugerforum.com.

Feelfree to PM me for any questions or post here as I'll try to follow this thread.

Top Bottom