• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I have a question about shooting IDPA with a Ruger sr9. It is my understanding that Ruger says not to dry fire the sr9 without the magazine in it. Yet IDP requires you to drop the hammer/strikes without a magazine in the gun at the end of a string. Is this bad for the gun? I understand that dry firing without the magazine will ruin the magazine dissconect? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Dryfiring it is hard on the mag dc and the striker. Having said that, I would think it would be much harder on the mag dc than the striker. I don't know the rules of IDPA or your personal preference, but the mag dc is incredibly easy to take out. I run my SRs without mag dc's.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    the mag safety is a steel blocker that will allow the striker to drop, but get hung up before protruding the firing pin hole. so it can damage the striker. the good news, the mag safety is easy to remove (and consequently replace should you want to keep the feature as your carry piece). as with any mechanical safety, it can fail, the best safety device is the one between your ears.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    A little more research and it appears that rmoving the magazine disconnect may be a violation of IDPA rules, and can result in a DQ. I'm hoping somebody out there has some more info.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a question about shooting IDPA with a Ruger sr9. It is my understanding that Ruger says not to dry fire the sr9 without the magazine in it. Yet IDP requires you to drop the hammer/strikes without a magazine in the gun at the end of a string. Is this bad for the gun? I understand that dry firing without the magazine will ruin the magazine dissconect? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I've used my SR9 for the past year in IDPA. I tear it down and clean after each match. I see no damage occuring at all. No mods have been made.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I may be confused, but the gun shouldn't fire without the mag disconnect. Are you asking about how to go "hammer down" in an IDPA match using a gun with the magazine disconnect?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    talk with your match director and group RSO, i often have shooters who use guns with mag disconnects.. I have them clear gun, show me an empty mag, insert that mag in gun , dry fire, then remove mag & holster..
    not a problem if RSO if familiar with such guns..

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    talk with your match director and group RSO, i often have shooters who use guns with mag disconnects.. I have them clear gun, show me an empty mag, insert that mag in gun , dry fire, then remove mag & holster..
    not a problem if RSO if familiar with such guns..

This.:yesway: If the gun in question was mine and I intended to use it in IDPA, I'd just keep an empty mag, explain to the SO what was up (they should know about mag disconnects- if not, find the MD or another SO). A large part of playing in IDPA is playing within the rules- regardless of how ridiculous it may seem. Robert Ray has weighed in on this very issue, and basically said the rule sticks. If you take the disconnect out, trust me, somebody, somewhere will make a fuss over it.:rolleyes: Empty mag and a talk with the SO will take care of what you need.

In other news, IPSC has said that disconnects can be taken out- shooter's choice.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Locks, Disconnectors & Safeties in Rules Clarifications 2012 Forum

From the IDPA Forum this has been addressed and the mag disconnect is not considered a "safety." I sometimes shoot CDP using a S&W4506 which has a mag disconnect and just carry a dedicated "Barney and hammer drop" mag. I normally inform the SO at the start of the match and never had a problem. Actually as an SO I would have a problem with someone shooting a gun with a mag disconnect and merly dropping the hammer without a mag present. The idea is in case the shooter and SO missed a live round in the chamber it will be fired then in a safe manner. Knowing your firearm will not fire without the mag in place if you just drop the hammer would be a safety violation and very well get you a DQ.
    I also have a Ruger P345 and have removed the disconnect. I bought the gun used and have no idea how many times it was dry fired with out the mag. The Ruger problem is when the hammer drops on the blocking pin it can peen the pin which causes it to not move freely. Eventually this can cause a "click-no bang" and that is not a good thing. S&W disconnect disables the trigger so the hammer does not fall and does no harm to the firing mechanism. Jim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom