• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calsheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of the new Ruger SR-556 when they are shipped (sometime this month from what I understand.) If anyone has any info they can share or anyone can help point me in the right direction please let me know.

Thanks
    Joshua

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find one of the new Ruger SR-556 when they are shipped

I am told by a reliable source that Elmore's in Greenwood has had one in already. Sticker was $1999.99, and it sold. Once they are available in numbers and the newness has worn off some, a realistic street price would be $1499 (available for preorder at Impact Guns) to $1599.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    That thing is sweet! Im a total AK47 addict But that thing could convert me once the price comes down...... I cant stop looking at it.

bignlittle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    West Harrison
    I still find myself thinking "ruger put out an ar?" This might just be on my list if the reviews are good after a year or so. Always been a fan of ruger for the most part:D.

retgarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    They've certainly won back my respect, just wonder why the 1-9 twist barrel. Never thought I'd say it but I might be giving a ruger a look in the future. uess my reply was useless, by the time I buy they'll be around.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When I was trading my Sig for the M&P15T, I was looking at the Ruger too. But when I picked up the Ruger, it noticeable to heavier than the M&P15T. Both guns look very similar except the Ruger has a gas valve on top of the barrel. It is also piston gas system I believe. Very nice gun but I like the weight on the M&P15T better and it's cheaper too. Easier for my budget.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I've been reading about how front heavy it is. I'd like to give one a try too. But, I'm going to wait a bit. They were having problems with carrier tilt when they first came out.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    You would have to be careful when you take down the top part the first time since it's top heavy. It would slam down hard if you let it just fall.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I've been reading about how front heavy it is. I'd like to give one a try too. But, I'm going to wait a bit. They were having problems with carrier tilt when they first came out.

Oh yeah, I saw pictures of that carrier tilt thing. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the buffer tube on any M-16 I've seen. Not sure why it's been identified as a problem.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Oh yeah, I saw pictures of that carrier tilt thing. I couldn't tell the difference between that and the buffer tube on any M-16 I've seen. Not sure why it's been identified as a problem.

Ah, but some of them were pretty bad and continued to get worse. Check out Ruger's forum to see. It's hit and miss, I guess, but has seem to have gotten better as of the past 3 months... buffer tube wear is common, but it usually stops at a point, the ruger's were having it continually cause damage only after 200 rounds.

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Saw a number of the yesterday (26th) at Valpo Gun Show. $1599 was the common price. Have never fired one. Slick looking rifle. As much as I know about them, I read in NRA American Rifleman Magazine.

Last edited:

Deputy527

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    Do you have any links to information reference the carrier tilt? I'd like to read up on the issue so I can watch for it.

Bradis was cheaper than PSS in this instance. I try to support both places as much as I can afford.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I'll get them for you, deputy. It's a common problem with piston-ARs. But, supposedly Ruger has solved it for the most part. The earlier SR-556s were still having issues, but Ruger issued a statement on their forum that they'd work on it and it has gotten much better...

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    AR-15.com older thread--- Ruger SR-556 Carrier Tilt Pictures - AR15.COM

A more recent thread showing no problems as of August---- RugerForum.com :: View topic - No SR-556 Ruger Tilt Issue So Far

Another more recent one showing no wear as of about 500 rounds---- RugerForum.com :: View topic - SR-556 Update to the Update

Just google SR556 carrier tilt and read up. Ruger has done a good job with the rifle. I'd like to try one, but if I was going to get a piston rifle, I'd go for something different like a Sig 556 classic or something.... I like to have different toys. :)

Deputy527

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    Here is my setup.

picture.php

picture.php

Ruger SR-556
    EO-Tech 512
    UTG Deluxe Vertical Grip w/pressure pad inserts
    M3 Illuminator
    Promag PM140B Single point sling attachment
    Command Arms OPS1 single point sling
    SKD Eagle LE Active Shooter Chest Rig
    8-30rd mags
    4 G21 mags

I'm going to switch out lights to a Fenix TK12 with pressure pad/end-cap. Probably use a Mako Defense MD-FSM offset for the light.

Top Bottom