• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Question...has anyone every converted their Ruger SP101 in .22lr to .22 WMR?

I have an older, 6-shot, 4" SP101 in .22lr and am considering having it converted to .22 WMR as the .22 WMR is just a fun little round to shoot?

Experience...thoughts...good...bad...ugly...etc.?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Is the LR cylinder long enough to accommodate the forcing cone profile that is needed? I don't know; I assume it could be, since the gun frame is used with .38 and .357.

Personally, you might want to figure out the long-term cost of WMR vs. LR, before deciding how much fun that extra little bit of bang is. 22WMR is a terrible plinking round, cost-wise, unless someone died and bequeathed you several cases of WMR you need to burn up.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think it would be better to sell your 22lr and purchase a 22 wmr.
    I'm just considering and was curious to know if anyone had done it and what the cost might be?
    I really enjoy shooting the SP101 and Ruger doesn't make a .22 wmr in the SP101 lineup.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Question...has anyone every converted their Ruger SP101 in .22lr to .22 WMR?

I have an older, 6-shot, 4" SP101 in .22lr and am considering having it converted to .22 WMR as the .22 WMR is just a fun little round to shoot?

Experience...thoughts...good...bad...ugly...etc.?
    I have not, but I have seen them. One was a bearcat that was redone to .22 mag. The other was a SP101 that was done and the guy actually used both Mag and LR in the same cylinder. Not sure of the details of that one, but he said the only issue he had was extraction. He said the ejector rod was long enough for LR, but not long enough to consistently remove the Mag rounds.

I would be worried about splitting LR cases with something like that. I would think a cylinder in LR and one in Mag if I was wanting to use both.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have not, but I have seen them. One was a bearcat that was redone to .22 mag. The other was a SP101 that was done and the guy actually used both Mag and LR in the same cylinder. Not sure of the details of that one, but he said the only issue he had was extraction. He said the ejector rod was long enough for LR, but not long enough to consistently remove the Mag rounds.

I would be worried about splitting LR cases with something like that. I would think a cylinder in LR and one in Mag if I was wanting to use both.
    I completely understand as if I do convert to .22 WMR, there will be no shooting of .22LR through it anymore...they are two (2) different casings and I wouldn't want to screw it up.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why not just add a .22wmr cylinder?
    The Heritage Rough Riders can swap cylinders.
    May be a bit more involved to swap, but easier than a conversion, and then you would still be able to shoot both calibers.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'd be more inclined to source a spare cylinder and crane from a parts gun and have it fitted as part of the conversion process. That way you can still shoot .22LR out of the gun, and have the option to use WMR when you want.

I agree with the others who said WMR is a lousy plinking round. It's expensive and in my experience less accurate out of a handgun than LR. I have a Single-Six convertible that has both cylinders, and while it has countless LR rounds through it, it has only seen about two boxes of WMR in the 12 years I've owned it.

I wish the designers of the WMR had based it off the .22LR rather than the .22 WRF. The ability to shoot .22LR out of the same chamber would have made it a far more versatile and desireable chambering. The more I think about that, the more I question why somebody hasn't done it...I'd definitely be interested in such a caliber, and would be more inclined to buy a gun chambered in it than any of the other recent developments such as .30 Super Carry or .224 Valkerie.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Why not just add a .22wmr cylinder?
    The Heritage Rough Riders can swap cylinders.
    May be a bit more involved to swap, but easier than a conversion, and then you would still be able to shoot both calibers.
    I'd be more inclined to source a WMR cylinder and crane from a parts gun and have it fitted as part of the conversion process. That way you can still shoot .22LR out of the gun, and have the option to use WMR when you want.

I agree with the others who said WMR is a lousy plinking round. It's expensive and in my experience less accurate out of a handgun than LR. I have a Single-Six convertible that has both cylinders, and while it has countless LR rounds through it, it has only seen about two boxes of WMR in the 12 years I've owned it.

I wish the designers of the WMR had based it off the .22LR rather than the .22 WRF. The ability to shoot .22LR out of the same chamber would have made it a far more versatile and desireable chambering. The more I think about that, the more I question why somebody hasn't done it...I'd definitely be interested in such a caliber, and would be more inclined to buy a gun chambered in it than any of the other recent developments such as .30 Super Carry or .224 Valkerie.
    They never made an SP101 in .22 mag, well technically they haven't.

So therefore there are no cylinders to source.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    They never made an SP101 in .22 mag, well technically they haven't.

So therefore there are no cylinders to source.
    Sorry, just realized I mis-typed and edited my post. I meant source a .22LR cylinder from a parts gun and have it fitted (and bored out) as part of the conversion.

But yeah, probably gonna be tough to find another six-shot LR cylinder as well since they don't make those anymore.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Sorry, just realized I mis-typed and edited my post. I meant source a .22LR cylinder from a parts gun and have it fitted (and bored out) as part of the conversion.

But yeah, probably gonna be tough to find another six-shot LR cylinder as well since they don't make those anymore.
    That and the bore diameter could be wrong especially since it's a 6 shot model.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Definitely going to be a lot of work and money to produce such a conversion. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy an S&W 351 if one really must have a WMR revolver. I like the ingenuity, though, and one-off projects are interesting.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Definitely going to be a lot of work and money to produce such a conversion. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just buy an S&W 351 if one really must have a WMR revolver. I like the ingenuity, though, and one-off projects are interesting.
    I had a S&W 351c but wanted one with a barrel longer than 2".
    I have a 6.5" Ruger Single-Six with both cylinders but wanted a swing-out cylinder instead of gate-fed, however, the .22 WMR is far more accurate through the Single-Six than .22lr is.
    Someone else mentioned getting a second cylinder and having it bored to .22 WMR, but then there's still the internal barrel diameter issue, the throat issues, etc.
    So often, what sounds good on paper, doesn't always translate into reality very well!
    Oh well...it was a nice idea while it lasted.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    22WMR is much much more expensive - but I too, love shooting that round.

22LR is also a blast to shoot.

If it were me - I'd get the KelTec WMR PMR30, get the reloader they say to get and keep the 22LR a 22LR.

You will have more fun shooting that 30 round PMR than any revolver will bring to the party.

Just my $.02

YMMV

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I had a S&W 351c but wanted one with a barrel longer than 2".
    I have a 6.5" Ruger Single-Six with both cylinders but wanted a swing-out cylinder instead of gate-fed, however, the .22 WMR is far more accurate through the Single-Six than .22lr is.
    Someone else mentioned getting a second cylinder and having it bored to .22 WMR, but then there's still the internal barrel diameter issue, the throat issues, etc.
    So often, what sounds good on paper, doesn't always translate into reality very well!
    Oh well...it was a nice idea while it lasted.
    The Ruger LCRx is available in a 3" .

I know it's not the same as SP101, but it is there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom