• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    The new Ruger LCR is a +P rated .38 cal revolver which sports a polymer frame and judicious use of steel to keep the weight at about 13.5 ounces empty. The Ruger features a double action only mechanism with a an enclosed hammer. Does anyone own one of these light revolvers or has fired one? I'm curious how well the quality of construction compares to the Smith model 442/642 or similar revolver. See pic and specs below.

Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver

Last edited:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They are nice guns. The trigger feels better than my 37-2. At 7 yards I shot it very well. It seemed well build and is a ruger so it should hold up very well.

Everyone that I have seen with them at the range loves them.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My friend owns one and I have shot it. It seems well constructed and has a nice trigger pull. I did not shoot +P ammo from it but I am sure it would be a bit snappy. Nice gun though.

MikeBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Brazil, IN
    I bought one a couple of months ago. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems to be a well made gun. I use it for my conceal Carry gun.

Joe in FWA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have one, didn't care for it the first time I shot it, but I now like it a lot. The trigger is outstanding. I've probably run about 150 rounds thru it and it's now my CC gun.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I love mine, have about 300 rounds through her. Well made and the thing that gets me most is its accuracy. This is no lie...

last weekend we were shooting our handguns at 50 yards due to others at the range and waiting turns etc. My XD9 and P95 were doing well shooting at milk jugs. The 22 Buckmark was also. Well I wanted the wife to shoot the LCR for the first time and she shot 5 rounds at about 25'. She did not like it so much as it has some bite due to the weight. After that my son and I decided to shoot some regular 38 rounds at 50 yards. I know what you are thinking but hey it was worth a shot as I had never shot it at that distance. All 5 of my shots were within 1.5' of the target, as were 4 of my sons. (1) HIT the milk jug! I was in awe of his luck. He said it was skill and I told him I would give him $100 if he could do it again but with one catch, $10 a shot.....

He did not accept the offer as he knew it was not probable to win the $100.

That being said, a 2" revolver getting that close at that range consistently was mind blowing. Heck it was almost as accurate as my 5" XD9!!

Great gun Ruger has....

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Looks like they have a winner over there at Ruger. I used to own an SP101 years ago and in my hands I found it to be not that accurate and the trigger pull was long and heavy.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    :hijack:

I bought one a couple of months ago. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems to be a well made gun. I use it for my conceal Carry gun.

Had a friend some years back that bought a used jennings 9mm the day he got his LTCH and carried it for months without testing it or even learning how to strip and clean it. Got him to bring it over to shoot it(and show him how to clean it) in the woods out back and long story short he had bought and been carrying a gun that did not even have a firing pin it. So you should REALLY shoot it if(before) you are going to carry it and possibly have to trust your life to it.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :hijack:

Had a friend some years back that bought a used jennings 9mm the day he got his LTCH and carried it for months without testing it or even learning how to strip and clean it. Got him to bring it over to shoot it(and show him how to clean it) in the woods out back and long story short he had bought and been carrying a gun that did not even have a firing pin it. So you should REALLY shoot it if(before) you are going to carry it and possibly have to trust your life to it.

That was a Jennings. They come standard with serious problems.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I pawed one up the other day. The LCR is very very lgiht. Even loaded, I doubt it would weight more than a steel J-frame would empty.

Even though I have litte love for revolvers, it managed to tempt me briefly. Its so small, light, and plastic; the novelty value is quite high.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Love mine but I regret spending the $$$ on the laser version. HATE the laser sight, to me it seems useless. Thought it would be neat but after going to the range and running 100rds through it, the laser was switched off quickly. For ccw I'm sure it may help but IMO don't bother.

Alot of people have told me the gun is snappy and painful to shoot. That wasn't my experience at all. The recoil is negligible. I wish it came chambered in .357.

It's very accurate and the trigger pull is great. However the gripe I had since the day I bought it was the transfer bar rattle. Drives me nuts. I hear it when I'm walking. It probably doesn't sound any different than a pen and keys in your pocket or change or whatever but I don't want my carry gun rattling. Because of this I'm seriously considering selling/trading it off.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    I have a Smith 642 and i really like it. I picked up the Ruger LCR at the shop the other day and did not really care for it.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    The LCR is made of plastic and it feels cheap. When I handled one, it felt like it will fall apart after couple of hundred shots of +P ammo. It rattles when you shake it.

It is priced about the same as S&W 442/642 and it is a bit larger than the same.

Having said that, the proven S&W revolvers are much better choice, priced the same, NOT made of plastic AND SMALLER. Don't buy the hype.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I shot one the range a few weeks back. I have similar concerns as Stoyan79 has.
    I will say that it did shoot very nicely. RRecoil was less than I expected and accuracy more than I expected. The feel did leave wondering about the longevity concerns

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The LCR is made of plastic and it feels cheap. When I handled one, it felt like it will fall apart after couple of hundred shots of +P ammo. It rattles when you shake it.

It is priced about the same as S&W 442/642 and it is a bit larger than the same.

Having said that, the proven S&W revolvers are much better choice, priced the same, NOT made of plastic AND SMALLER. Don't buy the hype.

I will say that it did shoot very nicely. RRecoil was less than I expected and accuracy more than I expected. The feel did leave wondering about the longevity concerns

You both sound just like the old timers did when LE departments were trying to switch to Glocks. We all know how those Glocks just fell apart!

Do your homework and you will find that in so many ways the LCR is built stronger than a S&W J-Frame. How much titanium will you find in a J-Frame?

The LCR utilizes a 7000 series MONOLITHIC aluminum frame, just like high-stress areas of the jet aircraft. (Just surf the web for all the S&W Scandium framed revovlers that have had catastrophic failures.) The cylinder is made of high-strength 400 series STAINLESS steel, which allows for the thinnest cylinder walls of any revolver. The barrel is made of 17-4 PH Aerospace Grade Stainless Steel. LCR utilizes titanium components in the cylinder’s latching system and is designed to provide accurate, life-long lockup geometry.

Many modern revolvers implement a transfer bar system for drop and slam-fire safety. The only reason that the sound is more pronounced in the LCR is because the sound more easily penetrates the polymer grip. This can bother some, but I never notice it myself.

I am 46 and the so-called "plastic guns" have been in mass production for over half of my life, and even the first generation plastic guns will be around long after I am gone. Get with the times... Glass-filled nylon framed handguns are here to stay.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

Longevity concerns from a Ruger? I am disappointed in reading these posts...not with the feedback, but with the LCR. I am a big Ruger fan, however honesty is always the best policy. I'll keep reading the feedback from the regular joes here before I plunk down big bucks on an LCR. (I don't have the money for one now anyways!)

Top Bottom