• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I currently own the LCP, I was hoping my wife would like it and would want to carry it instead of her p22. Well that was not the case. It seems to be to snappy for her and she doesn't like the long trigger pull. That is fine because i carry it as a backup sometimes. I'm thinking on possible trading it for the PF9 to see if she likes it better and maybe carry it. So how does it compare in terms of reliability, quality, ect. compared to the LCP? The keltec is a bigger gun and she would be able to hold onto it better but with upgrading to the 9mm does it have about the same snappy recoil? Is it more managable with being able to get more of your hand on it? I'm trying to get her away from the p22 and onto something more powerful. Thoughts?

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I will also say that a Sig P239/P6/P225 would be about the same size as the P22 and has the DA/SA trigger she seems to like.

Regardless, the no-fail cure to snappy recoil is practice....though you may to take over the housework now and again to get her to shoot a larger caliber more often.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I've had a LCP and P11. The LCP is super easy to carry, and I though the LCP's recoil was easier to tame than the P11's, though a good amount of practice could put her at ease with either. I would never really take either to the range for a good time (I'd take a full-size pistol), but either would function just fine for those self-defense moments.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    If you're looking for less snappiness and a shorter trigger pull, I'll put in a vote for the SIG P238. I feel like the recoil on the P238 is pretty mild. That said, carrying a P238 requires familiarity and comfort with the 1911 type of operation, as it is SAO and should be carried cocked with the safety on.

For less recoil and easier handling, although in a bigger package, the SIG P232 is a good choice. This is probably one of my favorite pistols to shoot, and feels comfortingly solid in the hand, though it's still quite easy to conceal IWB, or for a woman, in a purse.

For way less recoil--kind of like shooting a .22--I like the Beretta Tomcat. It's a .32, but I think it's a better choice than a .22 for the most part. If you think about a Tomcat, don't be scared off by the stuff online about frame cracking issues, and check out this thread.

Both the P232 and the Tomcat have nice hand-filling grips, and feel a lot more substantial in the hand than the LCP/TCP/Kel-Tec type of pistols. They are a bit heavier, but depending on the mode of carry, that's not necessarily a problem. I suspect that any of the really small polymer pistols will be tough on recoil-sensitive shooters, and the added bulk and weight of a slightly larger weapon can be an advantage.

If she's thinking about carrying in a purse, it might be worth considering going up to a Glock 26 or 27. I really think they're too large to be used as pocket pistols, and I think that most women's clothing isn't probably very friendly to IWB carry, but these would easily conceal in a purse.

My apologies if you already know all this stuff... :)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have both and think the PF9's recoil is more manageable. But it is snappy, it's a small gun and that is going to be unavoidable. However, if she is like my wife, if she likes the P22 and actually carries it rather than leaving it in the safe, I'd leave her be. Better that she carries that 22 than to push her into something she doesn't really want and it turns her off of carrying. I don't buy all the talk about how this round vs that round is more effective, blah, blah, blah. I don't dispute that a bigger round will cause more damage, but if she were to unload 10 rounds of .22LR into someone, I'd think there will be enough damage done.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    If she's thinking about carrying in a purse, it might be worth considering going up to a Glock 26 or 27. I really think they're too large to be used as pocket pistols, and I think that most women's clothing isn't probably very friendly to IWB carry, but these would easily conceal in a purse.

This isn't a bad idea either.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I don't dispute that a bigger round will cause more damage, but if she were to unload 10 rounds of .22LR into someone, I'd think there will be enough damage done.
    Yes, a full magazine of Velocitors or Stingers would certainly ruin a BG's day. Honestly, my concern with .22 is just that it seems to feed a little less reliably in some pistols compared to centerfire rounds. But if her .22 has been reliable, it's certainly a HUGE step better than nothing, as has been discussed ad nauseam here and elsewhere. I can't get my wife to carry at all!

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to find something else for her to try that i could about trade straight up for my LCP. We just bought a new house and are still getting used to the big payments. We are trying to not spend any cash on toys right now.

Her p22 has always been reliable. You just have to keep it clean, after 2-300 rounds of cheap bulk pack it starts to not want to strip the next round off the mag, which i contribute to the slide getting gritty and not moving as easily due to how dirty .22 ammo is. Using stingers we'd never encountered a malfunction.

I would really like to pick up a sig, but i'm looking at more of a trade, with possible $50 to add to it.(wife may let me get away with that). Are there any other options available that i'm not aware of?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yes, I got my daughter a Bersa Thunder .380 CC.

Its not a full step up to the 9mm. But it is much less snappy than my PF-9, more accurate than the PF-9 and it is the same size as the PF-9. It fits all of my PF-9 holsters and such.

I bought it LIKE NEW at BGF for $225. It has been a GREAT gun for her.

New aftermarket grips made it even better.

Bersa.jpg

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Yes, I got my daughter a Bersa Thunder .380 CC.

Its not a full step up to the 9mm. But it is much less snappy than my PF-9 and it is the same size as the PF-9. If fits all of my PF-9 holsters and such.

I bought it LIKE NEW at BGF for $225. It has been a GREAT gun for her.

New aftermarket grips made it even better.

pics?:D

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The LCP and the PF-9 are very different guns... I think you might want to compare the LCP to the KT P3AT - the LCP's predecessor, OR the LC9 to the KT PF-9.

I carry the PF-9 and am looking to buy an LCP for a back-up gun or for when I need to deep conceal.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The LCP and the PF-9 are very different guns... I think you might want to compare the LCP to the KT P3AT - the LCP's predecessor, OR the LC9 to the KT PF-9.

I carry the PF-9 and am looking to trade for a LCP for a back-up gun or for when I need to deep conceal.

FIFY:D

So lets talk i'm sure we can make a deal:):

I wasn't really trying to compare them as if they were the same. I know they are very different guns and thats why i am interested in the pf9. My wife did not like the LCP so looking at the p3at would be pointless. I'm just looking for something that is a little bigger than that LCP that she can hold onto better and may help lessen recoil, with the same reliability and similar function, and around the same price tag.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    FIFY:D

So lets talk i'm sure we can make a deal:):

I wasn't really trying to compare them as if they were the same. I know they are very different guns and thats why i am interested in the pf9. My wife did not like the LCP so looking at the p3at would be pointless. I'm just looking for something that is a little bigger than that LCP that she can hold onto better and may help lessen recoil, with the same reliability and similar function, and around the same price tag.

Ahh - I see :)

I will never get rid of my PF-9... I've grown very fond of it. Even when I replace it, it will live in my safe until I can pass it on to my grandkids :)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I have had 2 LCP's and they have both been great...i just thought they were ugly so i trade for something else...functionally perfect though....PF9 from keltec...I have owned 3 ...first one had failure to fire issues about 25-30% of the the time due to weak primer hits....second one would have failuire to extract problems in every magazine and the third one worked just fine....If i had to pick one based on this i would go LCP

Top Bottom