• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I bought this rifle a week or two ago and finally made it to the range today. I am very impressed with this rifle, it far exceeded my expectations. I had zero failures, including zero magazine failures (admittedly smoothed some of the mag inside edges with 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper prior to today for good measure). I am not an expert rifleman nor will I ever claim to be and I realize there is always room for improvement. But for an off the shelf $400 rifle, a $200 scope, $30 rings, and with absolutely nothing else done I think the results are pretty good using off the shelf ammo. Here is a quick rundown of the setup:

- Ruger American Predator .308 -
    18" Threaded Barrel - medium contour (definitely heavier than the standard American series)
    Adjustable trigger set to lightest pull weight
    Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 BDC Scope
    Warne Maxima Rings (low height)
    Shot off leather bags/rests on the front and the rear of the rifle.
    Distance was 100yds at Roush Lake range in Huntington today.

Ammo used and best 3-shot group notated:
    Federal 180gr Power Shok soft point ( 0.4845" )
    Fusion 165gr soft point ( 2.417" )
    Perfecta 150gr soft point ( 0.678" )
    Perfecta 147gr FMJ ( 2.432" )
    ZQI 147gr FMJ (7.62x51 M80) ( 4.062" )

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ammo used and best 3-shot group notated:
    Federal 180gr GameShok soft point ( 0.4845" )
    Fusion 165gr soft point ( 2.417" )
    Perfecta 150gr soft point ( 0.678" )
    Perfecta 147gr FMJ ( 2.432" )
    ZQI 147gr FMJ (7.62x51 M80) ( 4.062" )

I shoot about a 4" group, at 200 yards....

can't shoot 1/2" at all, even at 25 yards.... with a .22 rifle.....

IMHO, that is some pretty good shooting !!!!!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nice review! I have one of the Ruger ranch rifles in 5.56 and was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. Ruger is making some very nice rifles in their American series.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Nice review! I have one of the Ruger ranch rifles in 5.56 and was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. Ruger is making some very nice rifles in their American series.
    Thanks! Your reviews and youtube video are what helped motivate me to buy mine. I am not usually interested in bolt guns and I've had some in the past, but never in this caliber. I recently had an AR in .308 and the cost of off the shelf ammo made me realize that I needed to slow down if I was going to enjoy shooting this stuff and obtain acceptable accuracy ( I don't reload ammo yet ). One of the things that attracted me to the Ruger is that I also have an AR556 that was noticably more accurate for me than some of my other entry level AR's. I went back and forth between Ruger and Savage for an entry level high caliber rifle and honestly probably would have been just as happy with a Savage, but I'm not changing my mind, the Ruger will stay with me.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for watching I appreciate that and glad they helped! Believe me when I say I think you made a good choice in your American. If you want a rifle with a standard barrel, for the price point they shoot awesome! Ive shot a few of the different American series rifles and honestly haven't seen a bad one. Had you wanted a rifle with a heavy barrel and something you were trying to get every ounce of accuracy out of with aftermarket support then my vote would have defiantly went with the Savage. An I agree my Ruger Ranch rifle isn't going anywhere either! ;)

Top Bottom