Ruger 10/22 with Thumb Hole stock build or buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Question, my12 year old son wants a Ruger 10/22 with Thumb Hole stock and a sight mount rail, do you buy it complete or build one?

I see 10-22's on gunsamerica for $185 and up and the stocks starting at $115.00, but I know nothing about 10-22's, if one 10-22 is better than another etc.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Usually you will find that all factory 10/22s use the same receiver. You pay for different barrels and stocks. Personal experience has shown me that the standard "pencil" barrel is just as accurate as their heavy barrel.

If you find a factory version with the stock your son likes, and the price is the same or cheaper than getting the base rifle and adding a similar stock, go with factory.

Either way, I would check barrel clearance to make sure it truly free floats over the receiver. I don't like the versions with barrel bands, but many have found them to be very accurate as well.

Hope this helps, even if just a little.

Oh, and new 10/22s ship with a scope rail.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I have tinkered with a few 10/22s. easy to work on unless you pull the trigger group apart. tons of options. wally world has good prices on them new. 187 bucks last i saw littleover a month ago and here is a great place to find a stock for it. Richards Microfit Gunstocks

lots of colors. and spend the money on a good barrel. tactical solutions one are great. there are just countless options like an AR has.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    If you find a factory version with the stock your son likes, and the price is the same or cheaper than getting the base rifle and adding a similar stock, go with factory.

:+1: If you can't find a factory version your son likes and want a laminated stock keep an eye on Cray Deals section on the Boyds website. They sell off limited run and factory seconds on here and you can get a great deal. Also sign up for their newsletter, they send out e-mail on a regular basis with a 50% off code on their crazy deals. I picked up a unfinished thumbhole stock for my sons Savage 93 for $35. The stock was a factory second that had a small chip out next to the magwell, sanded right out, then I just finished it with Tru-oil. Check out link below.

Boyds Gunstocks CrAzY dEaLs

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Do like I did, find a guy who built up a great shooting 10/22. Wait for him to die and buy it from his widow.

You should start Pm'ing Pami now.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    , is the sight mount just a bolt on accessory?

If you are talking about the scope mount, yes it just bolts onto the top. Receiver is already drilled and tapped.

Another plus to building is its a great project to do with your son. My oldest son and I built his 10/22 and my other son worked with me on the 93 stock. We had a great time together

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    :+1: If you can't find a factory version your son likes and want a laminated stock keep an eye on Cray Deals section on the Boyds website. They sell off limited run and factory seconds on here and you can get a great deal. Also sign up for their newsletter, they send out e-mail on a regular basis with a 50% off code on their crazy deals. I picked up a unfinished thumbhole stock for my sons Savage 93 for $35. The stock was a factory second that had a small chip out next to the magwell, sanded right out, then I just finished it with Tru-oil. Check out link below.

Boyds Gunstocks CrAzY dEaLs

How often do they send out these emails? I signed up, but have yet to receive one and there is a stock that I am interested in that is part of their "crazy deals." Thanks.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    The last one I got was on 8/27. I think they come out about once a month. Just keep an eye out for it Make sure to check out the details on the stock your interested in. Some of these are factory rejects, most of them can be worked around and fixed with a little bit of work.. Some have off center barrel channels or inlets, I avoid these, not sure how bad they are. Sometimes you have to move fast if there is one you are interested in. When I bought the one for my son there was another one I wanted for myself, by the time I went complete my checkout the one I wanted had already sold.

dew409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Northeast, Dekalb Co.
    You have gotten some good advice. Look for an older walnut stocked version 175.00-200.00, or a plain beech stocked one for 150-175. Buy one in the best condition you can find for price. Boyd's gunstock have some good buys every couple of months. A couple of weeks ago the had the Boyds blaster for 79.00 + shipping. Takes less than a week.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have tinkered with a few 10/22s. easy to work on unless you pull the trigger group apart. tons of options. wally world has good prices on them new. 187 bucks last i saw little over a month ago and here is a great place to find a stock for it. Richards Microfit Gunstocks

lots of colors. and spend the money on a good barrel. tactical solutions one are great. there are just countless options like an AR has.

I have, a funny story about the trigger group. I was, having problems with my trigger, not reseting. Well, the trigger swivel pin, was working its way out. So I took it out to peen one side. Needless to say, good things did not happen. I had to reassemble the trigger group. Something, I have never done before. With the help of the exploded diagram and some patience. I got it back together and fixed the problem.

Top Bottom