• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Can't shoot it as I don't have enough ammo to feed it, but was in Rural King in Columbus yesterday and saw they still had them for 200 bucks. I asked the gal to look at the 'wood' one. She said yah, it also comes free with that 'mag'. A BX-25 Ruger extend magazine. I was pretty stoked. Not about the longer mag as I won't use it much...just the fact it was a good price and came with 25-30 bucks of free stuff with it.

It appears they're selling the 'carbine' models for 199. I didn't realize til I got it home it might be different from the normal ones...but took it out shooting right away(limited myself to 20 rounds) and thought it shot well. Had one failure to feed. Pull of the bolt and it slammed the bullet in and no more issues.

One of the things that caused me to want this one was it had the 50th Anniversary markings on it. Just thought it was neat.

So my plans are to plink around with it and maybe modify it. I've been wanting to do a M1 Carbine Clone of it. Was looking for a used one to modify...but everyone wants new prices for used 10/22s...so I bought a new one. Won't do any non-reversible stuff to it...but I do like it.

The action seems kind of grimey on it and the bolt catch isn't working right...so I need to tear it down and clean it good and see if I can get things smoothed out. Definitely not as smooth out of the box as my Henry 22 lever is.

Anyway, thought I'd share!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That is a really good price on a 10/22!!!

Just be careful as they can cause you to spend more on making one your own personal special than you spent on the original rifle! :D

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Gun $200
    Stock $100
    Barrel $150
    Trigger $200
    Scope $150
    Bolt buffer $10
    Extended Bolt Handle $40
    Extended Mag Release $30

$890 10/22
    What a deal!
    The add $500 for the supperssor and tax stamp.

Not making fun but that is probably where you will end up at. You can get all the parts cheaper or more expensive depending on quality. I'm about halfway there.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    First gun I ever owned....my wood 10/22..... was "loaned" out to my nephew years ago. When I asked for it back, it went from, "its at my moms house", to "I let such and such use it" (huh?), to finally, "Im pretty sure I gave that back to you"............DAMMIT!!!!!

Would love to pick up another one.... maybe a takedown model...but I'm waiting for the 22LR to return....but at that price.....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Most important.................Log onto Rimfire Central and start browsing. If you can't find the info you're looking for there, you don't need to know it!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First gun I ever owned....my wood 10/22..... was "loaned" out to my nephew years ago. When I asked for it back, it went from, "its at my moms house", to "I let such and such use it" (huh?), to finally, "Im pretty sure I gave that back to you"............DAMMIT!!!!!

Would love to pick up another one.... maybe a takedown model...but I'm waiting for the 22LR to return....but at that price.....
    If you wait, the price will go up. The gone doesn't have a "use by" date.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Do the bolt release yourself. Get a dremel ans find youtube video and do it in 15 min save yourself the $10 plus shipping.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Congrats! +1 on rimfire central info
    You can polish up the bolt and get rid of some of that overspray inside the receiver to make her run a little smoother.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the info guys!

I need to get it cleaned up and will look it over. Need to learn how to tear it down. Overspray in the receiver feels like probably the right thing for the grimey bolt. I'll tear in to it in a bit.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Excellent rifle at an even better cost!

Now, before you spend way too much modifying your 10/22, attend an Appleseed with it and really learn what it's capable of by just adding a GI web sling and some good sights (like Tech Sights). All the other stuff can easily be added / modified later.

If you want to attend what may be the best Appleseed being offered this year, I strongly suggest you go to the Seelyville event on 16-17 August. This is a sponsored event and (10) ... yes (10)! ... brand spanking new Vortex scopes will be given away as door prizes. The limit on the line is 40 shooters ... worst case is you have a 1:4 chance of winning a very nice brand new scope just for attending an Appleseed.

How about that for a nice new FREE add-on for your rifle?

You can read more about the event and scopes here: A&A Optics sponsored Appleseed #2 Seelyville IN August 16th, and 17th.

If you want to sign up, follow this link: Appleseed Schedule

DO NOT let your lack of ammo or other equipment get in the way of this event. Sign up and then contact the Shoot Boss, or just post in the Appleseed board located under the INGO Advertisers - Support our Sponsors section on this site. Extra equipment (even loaner rifles) is plentiful. Ammo is generally available at cost. Appleseed instructors won't resupply your inventory, but if you're truly ammo poor, they're more than willing to sell to you.

What are you waiting for? Sign up now!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Do your self a favor. Keep it away from other 10-22's the horny lil sob's tend to multiply. I am at 6+ or so. I had to have a wood, then poly, then a takedown, then a charger, then one with a bull barrel. then my son & daughter wanted their fair share of them.... ugh!!!

Congrats on the great score! Great price!

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I have had my Ruger 10/22 for well over 30 years and it has been a great 22 rifle for me. I have modified it several different times to look more like an AR style rifle using folding stocks and such. However, I always end up putting it back into the original walnut and blued steel configuration with only a few add-ons. I will have to +1 on the auto bolt release being the best $7 I ever spent on my 10/22. Especially if you intend to use the rifle at a range or during competitions where you are required to have an open bolt between strings of fire. A 20mm picatinny rail is also a good add-on if your 10/22 didn't come with a rail or came with the old style smaller dovetail rail.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Dang! I bought a 10/22 for that price from Rural King.... just a couple days before they added that free magazine to sweeten the deal.
    OH well! just the schafe luck, I guess. :dunno:

Top Bottom