• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    A lot of my buddy's still to this day don't understand why I love my stainless number one in 6.5x55 swede but they also don't understand how I out shoot there rem700s on a regular basis. Who else has one and thoughts. What caliber do you have?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    also not an owner, like ^^ above. BUT, if I wanted a single shot, my only 3 choices would be 1) Ruger no. 1, 2) T/C, and 3) E. Arthur Brown.
    The T/C might get the nod because of barrel swap capability and there are quite a few other sources of aftermarket barrels that make it very customizable.
    I have shot a Ruger no. 1 (in .270 I think) and it was a very nice gun.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had a .45/70 several years ago. It was an excellent shooter and very beautiful. Load it light with 300 gr bullets or nice and heavy and knock on the door of the .458 Win Mag (which I also had at the time). It was a wonderful gun but it got sold off to buy something more practical.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    A lot of my buddy's still to this day don't understand why I love my stainless number one in 6.5x55 swede but they also don't understand how I out shoot there rem700s on a regular basis. Who else has one and thoughts. What caliber do you have?

IMO, the #1 is a beautiful gun. I really like how strong the action is and how you could chamber it for about anything under the sun.

That being said, I am a Contender man. I know the action isn't as strong, but you can't beat how easy it is to change calibers. I have a Contender I use for squirrel hunting, and if I wanted to, I could get a barrel for deer hunting or for target shooting. If you wanted to do all of that with a Ruger #1, it could get expensive.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    IMO, the #1 is a beautiful gun. I really like how strong the action is and how you could chamber it for about anything under the sun.

That being said, I am a Contender man. I know the action isn't as strong, but you can't beat how easy it is to change calibers. I have a Contender I use for squirrel hunting, and if I wanted to, I could get a barrel for deer hunting or for target shooting. If you wanted to do all of that with a Ruger #1, it could get expensive.

Just owning own Ruger #1 isnt exactly cheep. That said, I have to agree with everyone else here, it is a super cool single shot, and if I ever won the lottery, I would likely have more than a few Ruger long guns in my vault..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I have one in .375H&H and it's loads of fun. I haven't had a chance to work with it lately but I'm looking forward to annoying my rangemates at Linden as the weather warms up! I know it's accurate but range time gets to be pricey pretty quick and I'm not ready to start hand loading it yet.

A friend of mine fired it right after shooting his .50 Muzzleloader. He figured the recoil wouldn't be too bad...the No.1 was quick to correct him. He now calls it the Devil Gun.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I too, am a big fan. I currently have a Ruger no.1 tropical, 375 H&H mag, as does my son. We took them to Zimbabwe, back in 2011 for our dangerous game hunt. Their performance was stellar. We each shot a cow cape buffalo, and my son shot a hippo, and I took a tuskless cow elephant with mine. I don't think the recoil is all that bad, especially if you outfit the rifle with a pachmyer decelerator recoil pad. My son used factory loads, and I used handloads that I developed, for the trip. Just for the heck of it, here's pics of the trophies taken.

My cow cape buff. Taken with 1 shot, at about 70 yds.

My son's cow cape buff.

My son's hippo. It was the only animal that required more than 1 shot, to put down.

My tuskless cow elephant. Not the biggest elephant in the world, but taken at 16 yds., among a group of 8 cows. We got charged by the herd matriarch, but bluffed her down.

If you have the confidence, you can hunt anything on the planet with a Ruger No. 1

Mad Dog

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got a Number 1 in 8th grade (B model, .243).
    Killed a lot of chucks with that thing over the next decade.
    Mine was a very good shooter (until the throat eroded).
    Not all #1's shoot well. so they can be an expensive gamble IMHO.

I hunt deer with a little TC carbine, neat rig.
    Eventually I'll have a #1 rebarreled for .35 Rem.
    Prefer the falling block over a break open.

And if it's a #1, for me it's gotta have a red pad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I too, am a big fan. I currently have a Ruger no.1 tropical, 375 H&H mag, as does my son. We took them to Zimbabwe, back in 2011 for our dangerous game hunt. Their performance was stellar. We each shot a cow cape buffalo, and my son shot a hippo, and I took a tuskless cow elephant with mine. I don't think the recoil is all that bad, especially if you outfit the rifle with a pachmyer decelerator recoil pad. My son used factory loads, and I used handloads that I developed, for the trip. Just for the heck of it, here's pics of the trophies taken

*snip*

If you have the confidence, you can hunt anything on the planet with a Ruger No. 1

Mad Dog

Mine was a gift from my grandfather. He'd had it for a good while before he gave it to me. I'm pretty sure mine is also a Tropical. Though I haven't done the legwork to know for sure. My recoil pad is probably the original and is pretty dry so it doesn't do much for the shooter. I don't mind it but in its current state wouldn't make an afternoon at the range out of it. Not that I could afford to feed it for an afternoon anyway... It sure is a lot of fun to shoot though. Too bad I'd have to do some traveling to really put it to use.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I used to be a huge Ruger fan back in the day. The first handgun I bought was a Ruger Red Hawk. But alas I will probably be flamed for this but I think Ruger has declined in quality. I also have little faith in their customer service. I had never needed to deal with their customer service until a few years ago when I bought a GP100. I haven't bought a Ruger product since. Doubt I will ever buy another Ruger the rest of my life.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I have a No. 1 in 45-70. Its a tropical and i load it for Indiana deer. Its a tack driver and is a very versatile cartridge. I absolutely love it!!!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like the Ruger number 1. I have shot a couple. I just couldn't get over the price. I went with the Contender and Encore. I have the Contender in 223 and it's a tack driver with the MGM barrel. I have the Encore in 243 and 358 Winchester barrels. I have no complaints with either. They are more accurate than I am.

For the money and performance I don't think you can beat them. For me and this is just me, spending that kind of money can get you a really good bolt gun and I would rather have that so that is where I have put my money.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have a Ruger Number Varmint in .25-06. It is a great rifle that is way more accurate than I can shoot. Had a Ruger No. 1 standard in .300 win mag. but traded it for a TC Contender with .44 mag - supper 14; .375 Winchester - super 14; .223 carbine barrel; and .375 Winchester carbine barrel; standard pistol grip and for arm; pacmeyer pistol grip and for arm; and carbine stock. back in the mid 90's.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I have 4,#1s--------------.223,257Roberts,.270,and 458 Win Mag
    223=1" at 100yds----257 Roberts= 1 1/2" at 100yds --------270=2" at 100 yds---------458Win Mag=3" at 50yds----these are all my handloads-"MAYBE"better with factory ammo..

tallend

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have a #1 in 22-250. I have not done much shooting with it yet because I need a set of extended rings to move the scope back a bit. Being left handed I really like single shots.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I have one in .375H&H and it's loads of fun. I haven't had a chance to work with it lately but I'm looking forward to annoying my rangemates at Linden as the weather warms up! I know it's accurate but range time gets to be pricey pretty quick and I'm not ready to start hand loading it yet.

A friend of mine fired it right after shooting his .50 Muzzleloader. He figured the recoil wouldn't be too bad...the No.1 was quick to correct him. He now calls it the Devil Gun.

I have a #1 Tropical in .416 Rigby. Best water jug blaster on the planet! I found a bunch, (over 100), rounds of brass on sale at Huntingtons a few years back. So it isn't that expensive to handload for. Forget factory ammo. It runs upward of $145.00 a box, unless you can find a sale on it. I can shoot my Bushmaster .50 BMG cheaper.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a No. 1 in 45-70. Its a tropical and i load it for Indiana deer. Its a tack driver and is a very versatile cartridge. I absolutely love it!!!

I know the 22" .45-70 is an S model.
    The tropicals are H.
    But some distributor did have a run of 26" .45-70's...................is that what you have?

Top Bottom