• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm not going back after today (and past experience).

The place was packed, and the range master didn't know what muzzling was when I brought it up to him.

Time to pay up and join hillside I think.

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Hey guys, quick question. I am thinking of heading over to the Roush Lake shooting range since it is the closest public range I can find near Fort Wayne. Anyways, this will be my first time at the range. I have only shot in my backyard (and the Marine Corps...) since I live out in the country. Would this be a good "starter" range? Any tips on what to do, and not to do?

Also, I have a XDM .45 and a .556 AR-15 - will I be able to shoot both of these at the range?

Thanks,
    Jordan

You could also go to Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke, it is a little more expensive but in my opinion a better range, they have pistol range, steel target range, and a rifle range out to 1000 yds. Google it and you will find the website, it is a well run range.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You cant carry there as its on federal property. Also, check out Izaak Walton. It is members only ($5 guest fee with a member). It is kind of expensive for a year, but they have a large very nice range out to 100 yards and as close as 7 yards. Fishing, camping, hiking, skeet/trap shooting, archery, etc. If you want an outdoors experience this is the place. If you want an occasional shooting range, I wouldnt suggest it ($150ish I think).

17100 Griffin Road Huntertown, IN 46748
    (260) 637-6735

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not going back after today (and past experience).

The place was packed, and the range master didn't know what muzzling was when I brought it up to him.

Time to pay up and join hillside I think.

Muzzling? What, like for a dog?

EDIT:Which one was there? Bob's the guy with glasses that hitting on all the girls and Fred's the grizzled fellow who complains about morons who shoot up his target stands.

Do you have to buy or bring clays to use the thrower there?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can't carry there as its on federal property. Also, check out Izaak Walton. It is members only ($5 guest fee with a member). It is kind of expensive for a year, but they have a large very nice range out to 100 yards and as close as 7 yards. Fishing, camping, hiking, skeet/trap shooting, archery, etc. If you want an outdoors experience this is the place. If you want an occasional shooting range, I wouldnt suggest it ($150ish I think).

17100 Griffin Road Huntertown, IN 46748
    (260) 637-6735

Carry? Federal property? As far as I know the range and all(?) of Roush lake is State property. The Corp of Engineers runs the dam. Regardless, carry is legal in state parks, so you're good to go.

But, range rules are no carry.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You could also go to Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke, it is a little more expensive but in my opinion a better range, they have pistol range, steel target range, and a rifle range out to 1000 yds. Google it and you will find the website, it is a well run range.

I did have a good time there. But, It would be more intimidating for beginners and my wife. Plus, I don't think they have the capacity.

Also, do they allow rifles at the paper pistol bay? Shooting my AK at 100 yds. isn't that fun. :(

I did manage to hit the prairie dog silhouette at 200 yds. there. :rockwoot:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Folks shoot rifles (edit:small caliber carbines or 22) down on the pistol stations quite a bit. I've had nothing but good experiences there. Not to mention acquiring a TON of free 45 brass.

Bob is a trip - I had to straighten him out after hearing him hit on my wife while I was coming back from the bathroom. I think he's harmless, but he does have an issue with the brain\mouth check valve from time to time.

In my experience, it has been a safe, well organized range every time I go. I try to get over there at least once a week - usually twice. If possible, I like to grab the bay furthest to the right so I don't have to chase down my brass as much...

Last edited:

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Heading out to Roush first thing in the morning. 4/28/15. Hope to be there when they open. Got a new G 30s that's never been fired, I have to fix that.

Top Bottom