• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    Anyone ever try a scout scope on the M92 Puma? I acquired one in 44 a couple years ago in a trade, and would like to scope it for deer. Can't seem to find a scope mount for the rear dovetail.
    This gun is stainless octagon. A tang is a consideration, but they are pretty pricey.

Maybe I should trade it for a turnbolt Ruger 77/44 or go back to the trusty 'ol 1964 Deerslayer.

thanks for the input :patriot:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    IIRC, Legacy sold a "scout mount" that you could put on their brand of the M92. I was pretty close to doing it until I was shamed by my dad :) You can get a gunsmith to drill and tap the side and put a decent peep sight on it, too. I went with a green fiber optic front and a Williams rear. I don't know if you have tried a good peep sight before, but it really is amazing how well they work. For the type of deer hunting I do, I certainly am not limited by the sighting system.
    IMG_4630.jpg

To be honest, if you want the easiest and least-labor intensive platform, consider the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag - very easy to put a scope on one of those.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am a firm believer it the scout scope concept.
    DSC03067.jpg

I used the leopold scout scope on a XS sight system scout mount. . Skinner low pro backup peep and fiber optic front sight. 1894 Marlin limited.

Get the puma scout mount and a good scout scope. The other one I have heard of for cheap is a nc-star version in 2-7 for like 50-70 dollars. I have not used that scope but have heard good reviews as a way to do it cheap.

A scout scope is not for everybody. It is a love it or hate it almost instantly. Both eyes open quick target acquired and fire, Very quick on moving deer. Not a target scope.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I'm a fan of the tang sight. I put a Marbles Improved tang sight on my Rossi 92 and love it.

Brownell's part numbers

Rossi 1892, 65
    Sight 579-000-167 Screw set 579-000-101

You'll also need a 10-32 tap set for the screws

Even with my tired old eyes they work great and besides that, they just look good on a lever. Never could bring myself to put a scope on one.

Top Bottom