Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    If the 'backlash' is enough to get his suspension overturned you might as toss out the idea of drug testing NFL athletes. Not that they take it seriously anyway, but allowing made up cover stories as alibis makes the whole effort a waste.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Honestly, there is something not being stated. I've known a couple of NFL players personally. They won't take anything without clearing it with the team DRs first.... The deal with the starcaps made players scared to take anything at all unless the team Dr prescribed it.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    If the 'backlash' is enough to get his suspension overturned you might as toss out the idea of drug testing NFL athletes. Not that they take it seriously anyway, but allowing made up cover stories as alibis makes the whole effort a waste.
    I would typically agree with you, but this guy was taking a fertility drug, not truly perfermance enhancing on the field, unless he celebrates with a....... Well that's not family friendly, so I will stop.

He didn't do anything wrong in my eyes since this was a family thing, steroids are a totally different subject!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I would typically agree with you, but this guy was taking a fertility drug, not truly perfermance enhancing on the field, unless he celebrates with a....... Well that's not family friendly, so I will stop.

He didn't do anything wrong in my eyes since this was a family thing, steroids are a totally different subject!

Clomid is used as post cycle therapy for steroids. Some even use strength gains.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Take it to court. If he can prove he has a low sperm count or whatever, then he shouldn't be suspended for wanting a family.

Otherwise, he was more than likely cheating.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    He got caught.
    Does not name what he was taking.
    What fertility drugs would cause a failed **** test.
    The NFL policy is policy and it is posted, has exceptions, and could have been avoided within the policy if it was a needed to bring a child into the world. The nfl has a driver policy where any player can call for a driver 24-7-365 no questions asked for free without even the team knowing anything and they still get several DUI's a year.

1: he should have called the team doc.
    2: he should have had his dr. Call the team doc/nfl docs.
    3: he should have brought a note from "Roberts mother" (welcome back Kotter fans)
    4: he should have had the union rep call a press-conference

normally a player gets less sacks as they age. NFL d player of the year. ECT. At least he gets to play 12 games this year.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Michael Sam is going to be the exception. That 7th round draft pick that everyone won't shut up about is going to be so good that he's going to keep getting sacks even after he retires.

I think Michael Sam will be happy to chase 1 sack after he retires. But, he will be a solid football player.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

The drug he was taking increases testosterone production in men. And has been per the article prohibited for years as a performance enhancing drug. While it is not a steroid in itself, it causes the brain to produce the hormone that signals the body to produce testosterone (steroid) beyond what it naturally would, by blocking what tells the brain to stop production.

He got caught.
    Does not name what he was taking.
    What fertility drugs would cause a failed **** test.
    Clomid from the article linked.
    See above.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Meanwhile, we're still waiting to hear what's going to happen to the jackwagon pill-popping Jim Irsay. The NBA bans a guy for like after amounted to sometihng like a 72 hour investigation, but the NFL hasn't done anything to Irsay after months. Par for the course.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Well I am no doctor but does testosterone levels rise as sperm count goes down. Maybe not.

We will have to deal with the issues of missing a sack leader. He has to deal with 4 lost pay checks.

Not it unusual for players in top levels of sport to get hit at some point. Look at last years Super Bowl champion team they had a couple of issues.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mathis made a choice based on his desire to have another child. He may or may have not known that the drug was banned. If he knew that it was banned, his desire to have another child may have overridden his fear of getting caught. Either way, he has admitted his mistake and apologized. Sometimes life trumps playing a game. I still think that he is a stand-up guy. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Top Bottom