• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you haven't read Heinlein, I encourage you to. At least look up some of his quotes, if nothing else. The man had a lot to say that I think many here would agree with..

The first one is already familiar to many gun owners I am sure:

On being armed:
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

On Gun Control:
    "Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat."

Predicting our current Political situation:
    "There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

On Political "tags":
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

On morality and personal responsibility:
    "I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

On love and jealousy:
    "Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own... Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy."

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    He's dead!

Was my favorite writer to read though in my younger days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mother was a science fiction reader so the books were always available. I read everything I could find that he authored. There was no I-phones/internet/cable in my time growing up. But, there was Robert Heinlein

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I started reading Heinlein when I was about 12, and have read everything he wrote, some of them many times. I only wish I had been smart enough to read deeper into what he was trying to say when I was younger..

Top Bottom