• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I too would have used the horn as a warning device to let the other driver know that I could have/might have hit him since he pulled out in front of me.

The very moment the other driver puts his car in park and approaches my vehicle, I would have assessed to see if he had any visible weapons. I would have put my vehicle in reverse and slowly backed away - if possible based on traffic patterns. While backing up and putting some distance between him and me, I would have dialed 911 and told them what was happening (a driver has stopped on the roadway and gotten out of his car and was being extremely abusive verbally) and gave them a description of the vehicle, driver and any plate information visible.

If not able to reverse, I would have made sure my doors were locked and kept all of my windows up. And I would have sat there on the phone with 911 dispatch.

I would have stayed on the line with them until an officer showed up if the other driver stayed out of his car.

Under no circumstances would I have rolled down my window nor had any conversation with this other driver.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) the holster belongs on your person, not in the glove box
    2) the biggest weapon you have is your vehicle
    3) no use in saying a single word to the instigator.
    4) Leave. Just leave. If they follow, dial 911 and head for the nearest police station.

I've had similar to the OP happen to me on many an occasion. I just leave. Go around, drive over curbs, whatever. By the time they are back in their car, I am simply gone.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You didn't do anything wrong. This ended without incident so I would say you did things right. Just lock the doors and stay in the car/truck and smile. He's the fool let him go ahead and prove it to everyone around. I think people do this just for the attention. My dad wrote the book on road rage and thinks he's a 90yr old prizefighter. For that reason I always make a point to be carrying when with him. Somewhere, someday something bad is going to happen to him if he continues on his path.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OP, in a case like this where somebody could've wrecked you or even injured you, "Road Rage" isn't the accurate term.
    You had every right to honk your horn and be angry.

"Road Provocation" is the term I use, in the sense that ANYBODY would've been angered and outraged by what that idiot who almost wrecked you did

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Welcome to INGO! :ingo:
    Please use your paragraphs in the future as huge gobs of words piled together are difficult to read. Thanks. :)

As to your problem;

As mentioned the gun holstered on body would have been best. Dairy Queen rest room might have been a place to do this? You would have had more options this way.

Your best bet would have been to drive away. A call to 911, reporting erratic driving and threatening behavior, with the trucks license number might have been in order. It would have also covered your tail from the other guy doing the same after seeing you reach for your gun.

Being shook up is understandable, but the mentality of explaining you were afraid you "might have to take a human life," is problematic for a few reasons.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    BWframe, you are correct in saying that taking human life would be problematic. Most people survive gunshot wounds and I've never fired my gun against a human but if I did it would be to stop the threat, not to kill them...

Sounds like you are on to it friend. Some argue semantics, but words are words and they can be twisted to your disadvantage. Words documented online are difficult to remove, if possible at all.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think you did okay in that situation, but it seems to me like you may have been way too quick to go for your gun.

Locking your doors, putting your truck in reverse (if no cars behind you) would have been a better option.

The guy getting out of the car is not enough to qualify as posing a threat of injury or grave bodily harm. An agressive move by him, but not enough to justify drawing on him. You were nowhere near the threshold for using justified lethal force.

That fact that you both made it out of the situation in one piece is a win. But you may want to rethink how you might handle future situations. Pepper spray comes to mind.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first posting. Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed. I just wanted to get everyone opinion about an incident that happened to me yesterday on my way home from work. Like so many companies these days, I am not allowed to have my gun inside the building, so I leave it in my glove box in my locked truck while at work. Yesterday after work, I stoped off at Dairy Queen to get something to eat (I love those chicken strip baskets). After pulling out of the Dairy Queen, a kid maybe 19 or 20 pulled out in front of me. When I say pulled out in front of me, I mean he missed me by maybe a foot. I slammed on the brakes and laid on my horn and as soon asI hit the horn, he slams on his brakes and puts his truck in park. As soon as I saw him putting his truck in park, I threw open my glove box and grabbed m gun. I didn't grab my gun because I was looking for a fight, but because I didn't know if he was going to come out with a weapon of his own. When he got out of his truck, he starting mouthing off saying stuff like "f**K you" and "whats your problem" I remained in my truck and said "your the one who pulled in front of me". My gun was always below the dash, he never saw it and I never pointed it at him. Not sure if he saw me retrieve it or not. I didn't get out of the truck, not because I was scared, but because I didn't want to escalate the situation any and I never pointed it at him because when he got out, his hands were empty. He mouthed off a couple more things and then got in his truck and pulled away. I did not pursue him because I just wanted to let it go. I will admit, the whole situation got my heart rate up a little, again not because I was scared, but because I thought I might have to take a Human life. Like i said his hands were empty, But had he approached my truck, I would've pointed it at him to show him that I'm willing to defend myself. I believe that if you carry your gun and get into a situation like that, then you have a responsibility to be more mature and level headed than the other person and to deescalate the situation rather than escalating it. Anyways, that's my story. Just wanted to see what you guys thought and maybe what you would've done differently. Thanks to all my 2A brethren and Stay safe.

:popcorn:......
    CAREful......o' who.....an' whut'cha 'Ef with........

Friends mourn, bury man fatally shot on I-71 Wednesday - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Attorney identifies driver shot, killed on I-71 - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

I-71 shooting suspect has long criminal history - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

:popcorn:

They's some .....truly pizz'd off, an' angry SOB's.....run'n up/down the roads.......:whistle:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL

Truth. Something you may consider not a big deal may be a big deal to someone else on the road. Consider this both ways. Choose your battles wisely and always be prepared.

OP I don't think you did anything wrong, but consider that you could have done something that would have stopped the other driver from getting out of his vehicle. You could have not hit your horn. I understand why you did it, but was it absolutely necessary? Sounds like it wasn't.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    BWframe, you are correct in saying that taking human life would be problematic. Most people survive gunshot wounds and I've never fired my gun against a human but if I did it would be to stop the threat, not to kill them. I apologize for not using paragraphs.

If I felt the situation warranted pulling my gun on someone, the last thing I would be thinking about is hurting the guy. It's going to be stopping the guy, Period. If he lives, it's by chance and his luck & my poor skills. Never shoot to wound. That's hollywood stuff. If you ain't willing to kill it with a gun why even draw down on it :dunno:

A couple sumers ago a buddy of mine was robbed at gun point. When he had nothing (the guy wanted the keys to his moped) to give the guy the idiot took a shot at him. He missed. Then my buddy fired on the guy(Pulling his own pocket pistol). He hit the guy in the leg and the guy fled. He told the cop he didn't want to kill the guy. Just stop the threat. The cop gave him hell. Said great! We now have a wounded & armed man running around. No telling what the wounded guy would or could do now. That hit home with me. Never shoot to wound. It's just flat out stupid.

On another note, OP I am glad you are ok!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Car horns are a Pavlovian device that trigger jerks into action.

For some reason just the sound of a car horn turns some people from normal to angry jerk in a heartbeat. Maybe it is a defensive response to a perceived public accusation of doing something wrong or stupid.

The car horn is good for warning "Hey, you are about to hit another vehicle" but they sometimes produce a bad reaction when used afterwards as a rebuke for "Hey, you almost hit another vehicle".

Top Bottom