• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Not sure what county it was hit in. So far I have heard Tippecanoe Montgomery and Parke.

Great deer!

deerZf.jpg

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    there's a deer farmer off st rd 63 north of covington that had a buck with a few drop tines like that....I'm not saying it's the same one, but I did have to take a 2nd and 3rd look.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    That deer is still alive. He has found the ability to survive by going under ground. That is a picture of him with just his head sticking out of the ground one day while he was looking for does. Shortly after this picture was taken he dropped back under ground. I can't believe all the crazy rumors I here about this picture. Now you all know the real truth.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The real story..

Huge Illinois Buck Found Dead

dead_buck_1.jpg
    John Grosboll of Petersburg, IL holds the head of a 24-point buck found on his Menard County property.

Years and years of hunting have produced 35 trophy deer mounts for Petersburg resident John Grosboll, but the 36th will be his biggest and Grosboll didn't even have to hunt to get it. In fact the 60-year old full-time farmer had never even seen the buck with 24 points that green-scored 246 inches.

Not until two quail hunters stumbled upon it Jan. 2 on his land.

"It's unbelievable," Grosboll said of what is thought to be the largest deer shot or found this season in Illinois. The only big deer Grosboll had seen on his land was a two drop tine buck hunted by one of his employees and his son, Nathan Grosboll.

"I knew fellas were hunting big deer down in the area, but I thought they were hunting the one I'd seen", John Grosboll said. "But it was the one we'd found ... with four drop tines."

One person attempting to track down the big buck was Petersburg hunter Mark Beck, who, according to Grosboll, has 89 pictures and even video of the massive deer. Beck had been hunting the prize for 26 consecutive days at one stretch of the season. But it was Grosboll's friends, Scott and Kyle Hackey, who finally found the buck.

Only after the Grosboll's were finished hunting the land were theHackey's given permission to quail hunt that Friday morning. "These bird hunters didn't really
    know what they'd found", Grosboll said.

"They're bird hunters, not deer hunters. Actually, I'm glad I didn't find the deer. I'm glad somebody else found it."

The bird hunters quickly notified Grosboll and the group went together to look at the deer. "It was pretty well eaten up by coyotes", Grosboll said of the deer.

"There wasn't anything left but hide. It could have been dead from two weeks to six weeks."

Grosboll was thankful for the honesty of the Hackey brothers."They're real trusting guys", Grosboll said.

"The're the only guys I let bird hunt on that farm. I just feel so fortunate they were honest guys and they told me about the deer. I'm a fourth generation Menard County and that deer now will always stay in Menard County . It will stay in my family."

Word got out quickly as Grosboll called friends and had several pictures taken. Grosboll called two game wardens who were unable to make it that night. Later in the evening, a pair of game wardens came to the house and said allegations of foul play had already been made.

"They were saying that the deer was moved", Grosboll said of those making the allegations.

"People have been telling me every time there's a big deer shot or found the stories just go wild. The two people that made the allegations have since apologized. They just hadn't heard all the facts first."

A game warden from Mendard County came out the next day and put an orange ?Dead Find Tag on the buck's antlers. "We tried to do everything by the book and the way it's turned out everything is fine", Grosboll said.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The real story..

Huge Illinois Buck Found Dead

dead_buck_1.jpg
    John Grosboll of Petersburg, IL holds the head of a 24-point buck found on his Menard County property.

Years and years of hunting have produced 35 trophy deer mounts for Petersburg resident John Grosboll, but the 36th will be his biggest and Grosboll didn't even have to hunt to get it. In fact the 60-year old full-time farmer had never even seen the buck with 24 points that green-scored 246 inches.

Not until two quail hunters stumbled upon it Jan. 2 on his land.

"It's unbelievable," Grosboll said of what is thought to be the largest deer shot or found this season in Illinois. The only big deer Grosboll had seen on his land was a two drop tine buck hunted by one of his employees and his son, Nathan Grosboll.

"I knew fellas were hunting big deer down in the area, but I thought they were hunting the one I'd seen", John Grosboll said. "But it was the one we'd found ... with four drop tines."

One person attempting to track down the big buck was Petersburg hunter Mark Beck, who, according to Grosboll, has 89 pictures and even video of the massive deer. Beck had been hunting the prize for 26 consecutive days at one stretch of the season. But it was Grosboll's friends, Scott and Kyle Hackey, who finally found the buck.

Only after the Grosboll's were finished hunting the land were theHackey's given permission to quail hunt that Friday morning. "These bird hunters didn't really
    know what they'd found", Grosboll said.

"They're bird hunters, not deer hunters. Actually, I'm glad I didn't find the deer. I'm glad somebody else found it."

The bird hunters quickly notified Grosboll and the group went together to look at the deer. "It was pretty well eaten up by coyotes", Grosboll said of the deer.

"There wasn't anything left but hide. It could have been dead from two weeks to six weeks."

Grosboll was thankful for the honesty of the Hackey brothers."They're real trusting guys", Grosboll said.

"The're the only guys I let bird hunt on that farm. I just feel so fortunate they were honest guys and they told me about the deer. I'm a fourth generation Menard County and that deer now will always stay in Menard County . It will stay in my family."

Word got out quickly as Grosboll called friends and had several pictures taken. Grosboll called two game wardens who were unable to make it that night. Later in the evening, a pair of game wardens came to the house and said allegations of foul play had already been made.

"They were saying that the deer was moved", Grosboll said of those making the allegations.

"People have been telling me every time there's a big deer shot or found the stories just go wild. The two people that made the allegations have since apologized. They just hadn't heard all the facts first."

A game warden from Mendard County came out the next day and put an orange ?Dead Find Tag on the buck's antlers. "We tried to do everything by the book and the way it's turned out everything is fine", Grosboll said.

Thanks for the story I knew something was wrong but couldn't find anything.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Not sure what county it was hit in. So far I have heard Tippecanoe Montgomery and Parke.

Great deer!

deerZf.jpg

Brother sent me this this picture in a text two weeks ago while I was home in Indiana. Said hit by car this morning in Lafeyette. My response, its been cloudy all day, no way thats today in Indiana. He didnt respond. HAHA

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Check out this roadkill buck we found on a drive last week in WI. Would've scored around 175 if the G2 was still there, which is almost unheard of in that area. It's a shame, but we had a lot of fun texting pictures around and messing with people.

IMG_1564.jpg

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hope both of these monster deer had a chance to pass on their monster rack genes haha give someone a real chance to shot one.

Top Bottom