• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buy ammo when you find it just to sell it here for more that what you paid.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Its wrong. Don't peddle your ammo for profit here.

There is an outstanding group of people here that enjoy
    civil discussions without watching the bar being lowered to flea market tactics.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I speak with my wallet! Gunshop ammo is more expensive than Wal-Mart, but I can stop at the gun shop and buy some right now, and my local Wallyworld hasn't had any lately (nor has Sportsman's Warehouse) so I suck it up and spend a little more than I want.

Things of this world are only worth what you're willing to pay for them.

I've seen (and had) some killer deals on here, and I've also seen some stinkers. There are folks I've driven hours to meet, and some that I won't even bother PMing.

I'm not against others speaking with their wallets, though.. if you're willing to pay more for an item than I am, I'll get right out of your way :)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the only way to keep it from happening is to not buy it.

I think people should be able to list their items for what ever they want.......... and I vote with my wallet ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What does the 1st amendment have to do with capping profits?

Not to put words in anyones mouth, but to me, the first amendment has more to do with, in this case, speaking your mind about people ripping others off.

Some people just don't know what a fair price is and will pay whatever as their panic sets in. :twocents:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Follow the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. I firmly believe in capitalism. I believe that the guy at the grocery store owes me nothing. If I pick up a gallon of milk to feed my family I understand he's making a profit to feed his family, and I'm fine with that. If his price is higher that than the store across the street, guess what? He's NOT selling me his overpriced milk and his family will starve or he'll come down in price. That's called competition. (Which I also agree with.) Now if that same grocery store owner is my neighbor what should I reasonably be able to expect from him? If he has an old bicycle in his garage and he offers to sell it to me should he make a profit on it? It's a free country he could if he wants to, but I don't consider that neighborly. The difference is the milk is his business the bike is not. We all know people like this, they want to make money on every deal, no matter who they are selling to. That's fine, but for me it I might be friendly with them, but I don't like doing business with them. And that street goes both ways. If I have the bike for sale I'm not offering it to that neighbor.
    So the bottom line is how you view the others on this site. If this is just a business opportunity to you charge whatever price you want, but the majority here take a dim view of that attitude. I'm a relative newbie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but most like view to this site as friends and neighbors and where I'm from that's not how you treat friends.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    YEAH!!!!! BOO CAPITALISM! DOWN WITH THE FREE MARKET! PEOPLE SHOULD ONLY SELL THINGS FOR WHAT THEY HAVE IN THEM - NO MORE! FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS ABILITY, TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS!

;)

To be clear, I'm always willing to cut a friend a break. I've recently sold guns for exactly what I had in them, despite being able to get more for it in the current market. I've got a group buy going on INGO right now where I'm almost guaranteed to lose money because I'm just barely covering my cost even in a best-case scenario, but it is helping out some friends offline and folks here, so I'm doing it.

All the same, the apparent aversion to a free market here is a little bit disturbing to me. You guys do realize that the only reason the commercial gun and ammunition market exists at all is to manufacture, distribute, and sell at a profit, right? And you realize people couldn't hike prices if the demand wasn't there, right? This is pretty basic economic theory.

What I read from this post.
    ' I'll rip off who I want to, it's a free market and if they don't know any better, they deserve the screwin' '
    GO CAPITALISM!!! :n00b::rolleyes:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I believe in capitalism but I also believe if treating our INGO brethren like just that, "brothers". I joined this forum because I saw it as being part of like minded people who were looking out for each others interests and rights. Raiding all the ammo from a Walmart in the sticks and then jacking up the price to sell to other members who live in areas were the Walmarts are always out is just plain 'ol wrong!!! Kudos to Fenway for closing that dude down!!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Follow the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. I firmly believe in capitalism. I believe that the guy at the grocery store owes me nothing. If I pick up a gallon of milk to feed my family I understand he's making a profit to feed his family, and I'm fine with that. If his price is higher that than the store across the street, guess what? He's NOT selling me his overpriced milk and his family will starve or he'll come down in price. That's called competition. (Which I also agree with.) Now if that same grocery store owner is my neighbor what should I reasonably be able to expect from him? If he has an old bicycle in his garage and he offers to sell it to me should he make a profit on it? It's a free country he could if he wants to, but I don't consider that neighborly. The difference is the milk is his business the bike is not. We all know people like this, they want to make money on every deal, no matter who they are selling to. That's fine, but for me it I might be friendly with them, but I don't like doing business with them. And that street goes both ways. If I have the bike for sale I'm not offering it to that neighbor.
    So the bottom line is how you view the others on this site. If this is just a business opportunity to you charge whatever price you want, but the majority here take a dim view of that attitude. I'm a relative newbie, so correct me if I'm wrong, but most like view to this site as friends and neighbors and where I'm from that's not how you treat friends.

:+1:

' I'll rip off who I want to, it's a free market and if they don't know any better, they deserve the screwin' '
    Acts 2:38, the only way to begin again...

I believe in capitalism but I also believe if treating our INGO brethren like just that, "brothers". I joined this forum because I saw it as being part of like minded people who were looking out for each others interests and rights. Raiding all the ammo from a Walmart in the sticks and then jacking up the price to sell to other members who live in areas were the Walmarts are always out is just plain 'ol wrong!!! Kudos to Fenway for closing that dude down!!!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

BUT gotta love the gonads on the dUDE selling the 223 PMC for 450 or 500 for a 1000 rounds. It was overpriced at 350 but come on :xmad:

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Voted Right and proud of it!

GO CAPITALISM!!!

I must have missed the part where you were forced to buy the ammo. That is the only way it could be a rip off...or maybe after you bought the box of ammo you discover it is half gone?

I you go into the deal willing to pay the higher price (let's call it market price) then it cannot be a rip off, because both you and the seller are willing adults and came to those terms without being coerced.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I think the original intent in the creation of this site was for it to be a place where local Indiana guys and gals could find like minded people to share time and conversation in regards to shooting sports. There have been many threads about how to look at it. One idea is to think of it like going over to Fenway's house and hanging out in his garage or living room with a bunch of members and talking it up or trading stuff. I don't think it was ever an intent for anyone to be putting up storefronts. However we do have dealers here that pay their own way as site supporters, and even most of them seem to always have a special deal for members. So that is the way I choose to look at it and I think that is also what makes this such a great site. So if your looking to flip ammo or whatever just to turn a fast buck, (This is just my opinion) do it somewhere else there are plenty of other places to go.

I think this is a great site and I think as long as it is kept the way it was intended (IMHO) no matter how big it gets you will still be able to feel like family, or at least like you are among trusted friends. I just finished a CDNN group buy. I only purchased 1 magazine for a total savings of $2.50 before its all said and done I will probably have spent 10x that in time and gas to finish it, the reward is not in the savings or the profit, it is in meeting fellow gun enthusiasts and in making new friends, sharing camaraderie with like minded individuals. These benefits far outweigh any potential monetary gain. Just my :twocents:...

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Do you try to make a buck off your friend or do you help him out when you can? That's the nub of it.

At the same time, I don't really mind a small markup like a "finder's fee" or something. Say, buying 9mm at $9/box and reselling it here for $10/box. I still wouldn't do that to a friend, I'd help him out and get it at cost, for sure. But, I might to it for an acquaintance.

At the same time I'm all about a free market since that's what gets us good stuff at cheap prices. I guess most of us INGO users don't view the classifieds as a market, though, but more like a place for friends to swap stuff. As it gets bigger that feeling will get harder to maintain.

:twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe this would be a good time to revisit the idea of raising the required post count to participate in the classifieds?

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Do you try to make a buck off your friend or do you help him out when you can?
    Why can't I do both?

If I buy a box of 9mm for $9 and sell it for $13.50 or whatever to a friend who cannot find any 9mm to buy so he can go shooting this weekend haven't I done both?

I'm not going to have any friends on this site...am I;)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Why can't I do both?

If I buy a box of 9mm for $9 and sell it for $13.50 or whatever to a friend who cannot find any 9mm to buy so he can go shooting this weekend haven't I done both?

I'm not going to have any friends on this site...am I;)

Then YOU are NOT a Friend BUT an Acquaintance :rolleyes:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    On an unrelated note, did you pay anywhere close to $425 for those 5 South African 7.62 battlepacks you are selling? My buddy used to love those and routinely paid less than $30 apiece for those not too many years ago. That's about a 300% markup, if you bought for that price. Looks like you offered them earlier but closed the thread because you wanted to wait to get more money out of them. Don't feel too bad, though, you're not the only one on this thread complaining about gouging while simultaneously selling stuff at a tidy profit here on INGO. Are you more worried about people making money, or people competing with you?

Again, I don't think you're wrong in selling them for whatever you can get out of them, but don't you think it is a little silly to be complaining about capitalism so much when you are taking full advantage of it?

Also, if that's really what you got out of my post, I'm sorry for communicating so poorly. I tried to make it clear that in my dealings I've tried to be as fair as possible, and I have yet to make a dime's worth of profit here. In fact, I've mostly purchased from others who have no doubt made some money on the deal, and the only sales I'm making now are in the context of a group buy I'm facilitating at a substantial personal risk and cost, without the intent to make profit. I'm putting up almost $700 without accepting any money up front, despite a number of very kind offers, and I'm selling at a price that is simply my cost rounded off to a convenient number. On some of the products I'm actually losing a little bit, but it averages out. Moreover, once I started selling anything (no matter that I'm not making money on the deal) I signed up for a site membership, because I thought that was the right thing to do. Did you send Fenway your membership fees after your 33rd for sale or for trade post, or are you still waiting? Before you accuse me of ripping people off, why don't you figure out who is making the most profit here.

I have merely defended the notion of the free market, not any specific offers or dealings. If that makes me evil, so be it.

When it comes to what is appropriate to do on this site, that final decision is - of course - up to Fenway. That said, I believe I will personally get better deals if more freedom is given to both the sellers and the buyers, as opposed to less. But that opinion appears to be in the minority.

Kcustom45 said:
    I'm not going to have any friends on this site...am I
    Certainly not me, you evil corporate fatcat!

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is it just me or does this directly relate to the exact argument we are having with our government about over regulation of a free market. I joined this site because I'm an Indiana Gun Owner and enjoy sharing in conversations about guns, politics, and the economy. I also joined to buy, sell and trade firearms with local people.

Why do you have to regulate the prices of what you sell, and who decides what is a good price and whats not? I look at the price of 10/22's and AR parts and gasp, but I'm not into those, so I wouldn't know if it was a good price or not.

I speak with my wallet like several other people have stated. So if most of us are against people selling ammo for crazy prices on here don't buy it, leave it alone and they will leave us alone or drop their price. That's how you regulate these things We don't need more rules or laws in our lives, we have more than enough to go around.

The market should be regulated by the buyer and what they are willing to pay for goods and/or services. And if there is buying, selling or trading going on it's a market.:twocents:

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Then YOU are NOT a Friend BUT an Acquaintance
    Could be...but if I was an acquaintance I would probably just say "Man it sucks to be you" and have a smile in my heart when I looked at my pile of ammo.

Now I just need a pile of ammo.:D

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Part of a free market is people calling out what is obviously a rip off. This thread probably saved several people from flushing money down the toilet. This is partly how the market determines a price. Maybe we shouldn't talk so much smack about good ole Don's Guns. Because by warning people about his rip off high prices we are impeding the free market, right?

THE FREE MARKET IS AT WORK! :rockwoot:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Is it just me or does this directly relate to the exact argument we are having with our government about over regulation of a free market. I joined this site because I'm an Indiana Gun Owner and enjoy sharing in conversations about guns, politics, and the economy. I also joined to buy, sell and trade firearms with local people.

Why do you have to regulate the prices of what you sell, and who decides what is a good price and whats not? I look at the price of 10/22's and AR parts and gasp, but I'm not into those, so I wouldn't know if it was a good price or not.

I speak with my wallet like several other people have stated. So if most of us are against people selling ammo for crazy prices on here don't buy it, leave it alone and they will leave us alone or drop their price. That's how you regulate these things We don't need more rules or laws in our lives, we have more than enough to go around.

The market should be regulated by the buyer and what they are willing to pay for goods and/or services. And if there is buying, selling or trading going on it's a market.:twocents:

I agree no need for regulation. I still support raising the post count from 10 to 20 or so, but that is for unrelated reasons. Here on INGO we tend to not only speak with our wallets we also have been known for minor heckling or :bigballs: from time to time :D.. Don's guns is the biggest rip off in history and I would never buy anything from him, but unless he breaks the law he has every right to be in business... However the classified section here is not meant to be a business section (IMO) But more like a garage sale or swap meet...:D

Top Bottom