• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Looking at deer hunting for the 2011 season and would like to use a rifle instead of my 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. I haven't hunted Whitetail in Indiana since 2005 because of deployments and moving to Alaska, so this is the first I've heard of using rifles in Indiana. The problem is I can't seem to find any rifles chambered in the caliber allowed. Does anyone have any recommendations or info on where I could find a rifle chambered in the caliber allowed for deer hunting?

Seems pretty restrictive but better than nothing I guess.

Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

.357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I use a 44 mag rifle and won't go back to a slug gun. I have shot it at 115 yrds and can hit an 8" plate. I took 3 deer with it last year with 3 rounds. The farthest a deer went was about 50 yrds and left a huge blood trail. I really like the Winchester WB 240 gr JSP.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Lever actions are going to be your best bet, but other guns are available in these cartridges.

Henry
    Marlin
    Puma
    Winchester

These are some brands off the top of my head, but there are sure to be more.

Also, there are 458 Socom uppers for AR lowers. Those look fun.

antiwheeze

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    44 mag is cheap, common and good for most of Indiana deer hunting <100yds. single shot H&R handi rifle is a good starter

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Dont forget 445 super mag. At least worth a look if you like to reload and you have a very versatile gun. TC makes a barrel for the Encore and so does MGM

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've been wanting to build a .458 socom upper but all I can find for a barrel is a $400 dollar bull barrel! When you add up everything else you may as well buy a rra upper from fireball! Maybe somebody else can find a cheaper barrel that would make it more pratical.
    But then agin I seen some nice lever actions at the 1500 this weekend that made me think that might be better!

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Gander in Indy had 2 bolt action Ruger .44 mags. last week.
    Look hard .44 mag. ammo is reasonable in cost and is available almost any where.
    Winchester white box 240 grain soft point works well.
    Good Luck Duce<><

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Ditto

44 mag is cheap, common and good for most of Indiana deer hunting <100yds. single shot H&R handi rifle is a good starter

:+1:

I too have been looking at the .458 Socom but have a hard time spending the cash when my .44 will drop them every time.
    The other strange thing I noticed with my .44 Handi-Rifle is it doesn't seem to spook the deer. I can shoot one and the others in the group stand and look around. I have shot 2 in the same herd this way. :twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Contender frames and rifle barrels are an easy way to shoot a few of those pistol cartridges if you can't find a lever or bolt. Once you have a frame just buy a barrel.

custom barrels 300 or so. Frame and stock forearm makes a very light and accurate single shot rifle. More expensive than a handi rifle. Better trigger pull and accuracy.

those ruger bolts are accurate little suckers and the two at gander won;t last long.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    :+1:

I too have been looking at the .458 Socom but have a hard time spending the cash when my .44 will drop them every time.
    The other strange thing I noticed with my .44 Handi-Rifle is it doesn't seem to spook the deer. I can shoot one and the others in the group stand and look around. I have shot 2 in the same herd this way. :twocents:

Hard to beat the H&R .44 mag IMO. One shot One kill, no spraying lead all over the place.:yesway: I call the H&R the "poormans Encore". I have the .44 mag. barrel and a .243, and 20 ga. slug.

Funny you mention about not spooking deer. I hit a buck last November, and two other deer were within 15 yards of him. They never moved,:dunno: I had to sit and wait for them to wander off so they wouldn't see me come down out of my stand.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    If you're looking for inexpensive, you might try the rossi sets. I bought one for my Dad and one for me and it will keep 5 rounds under 2" @ 100 yrds (crazy)
    CamoRossi44Mag.gif

44mag5at100yrds.gif

44magSightin50yrds.gif

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I love it when an [STRIKE]excuse[/STRIKE] reason comes along to pick up a new gun. If I wasn't fat in PCR's already I think I'd pick up a SOCOM upper myself - a fine choice. :yesway:

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    My favorite is a T/C Encore rifle in 500 S&W cal. With 300gr Hornady Leverevolution ammo it gives 2300 fps over the chrony (20" barrel), and will shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Took two deer last year, farthest at about 70yds, no need to trail either one.

Top Bottom