• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I am trying to find time to make it to a full 'Seed (been to one Mini) and I figured this would be a good motivator. What I want is to show people how great these events are and how proud you'll feel when you score "Rifleman." So...post here if you've scored Rifleman, as well as when and where you "patched." If you haven't quite gotten there, what's your best score?

I'll start:

I scored a 216 back in September of last year at a Cloverdale Mini-Appleseed.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/St-Michael/Appleseed/100_0353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    On a Cold and rainy weekend in November, 2009 I attended my first Appleseed at Riley. Because of the high Instructor to student radio (nearly 1:1), and the Magical Properties of Techres' Thomas The Tank shooting mat, I scored a 211 on day two.

4146562117_70a868026f.jpg

I was terribly surprised! When I arrived I was a terrible shot, as seen by my Red [strike]hat[/strike] Coat Target

appleseed-before.jpg

Below you can see what an improvement two days of hands on instruction on the line with some of the greatest Americans I've meet can make if you have an open mind. A willingness to learn. And an indomitable spirit.

appleseed-after.jpg

I've taken the lessons taught by those patriots and am now wearing the orange hat of an Instructor in Training, helping to share those feelings I had with others. And used it as motivation to run for office.

Thank you Appleseed!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    April 18th, 2009 at my first Appleseed in Lafayette, IN.

I gave it away to a new Rifleman the next day because we had so many at that shoot, they ran out of patches.

Luckily, they still had an orange hat for me and they mailed me a new patch. ;)

Get out there and join us! :patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    I made Rifleman 4/18/10 at my first Appleseed in Nashville. I was ambivalent about going, but afterward I apparently couldn't shut up about the experience for five minutes. So much so that I think Spasmo is now seriously thinking of going to one as well.

Out of 5 AQT's, I qualified on three, averaging 217. I'd like to average 225 on my next one. While it was fun to score so well, especially on my first go, it's such an insignificant part of the weekend. I really must insist that you experience it for yourself if you haven't been.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I went first to an Appleseed on April 19th 2009. I wanted to see what it was all about before I got involved, so I only watched. Yes, I had "images" in my head of the darker side of patriotism. I wrote to hawkhavn and he assured me the topic of the day would not be the best places to bury MREs in Brown county. Once I spent the weekend with Hawkhavn, DaveD, Techres, and Bill, watching and listening. I was flabergasted, shocked, impressed, and eager to return. I rambled on to my wife and sons about it for days on end afterward.

I was able to return in June and did, well, poorly. Bill3 would not stop kicking my trigger foot and Mudcat must have yelled "dragging wood!" at me a hundred times. My standing scores were great, owing to years of muzzleloading and offhand competition, but when your stage four scores are worse than your stage 1 scores there is nothing to blame but yourself. My son shot rifleman with a borrowed rifle on Sunday, I struggled to stay on paper with my favorite 22.

I dry fired for weeks after that, every day, with the guides they sent home with us on the floor next to me. Eventually my old habits passed by and new habits took over. I tried a few groups in the backyard and while not small, were round, and in the same place on the target everyday. I read my Fischer book twice, and bought two others as well. I found myself, a fan of history, amazed that so much of the story of April 19th 1775 was available, yet forgotten. I continued to dry fire, nearly every day.

When July came around I went to a Mini in Cloverdale. Excited at the first Red Coat target, I had to force myself to calm down and shoot "by the numbers", I nearly cleaned it. I shot my first AQT of the day and scored a 216. I have since reshot my AQT with irons, taken an Orange hat, then a Red hat, and now hoping to make Auburn in June to get a Green hat.

All so I can spread the word that at one time men and women believed so deeply, so fervently, that everyone should be free to choose their own destiny. They literally kicked down the door to a great unknown and offered up their lives to give us a country where Freedom and personal Liberty were guaranteed. It is a black mark on our culture that they have nearly passed into obscurity. I want to change that.

So there is my story of becoming a rifleman, the score I barely remember, the journey is burned into who I am.

Yellowhousejake

Farmritch

Expert
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    feb053.jpg

I was one of the first appleseeders before it was called appleseed
    I proved I was a Rifleman and not a cook!
    Went to Ramsuer NC for the first one, shot a 218 with my M1A
    Got my Red Hat in Wisconsin in 2006
    Have since been to Morehead KY, Evansville IN (twice), West Bend WI and a few others that I can not recall exactly now.
    Have helped at my local club and with friends also ( of course ).
    2007 was rough for me loosing my Dad while tearing down & rebuilding a 36X60 barn.
    2008 was tough taking care of my step mom after loosing my Dad
    Then I lost my Step mom and father in law within 2 months of each other in 2009 and now we are taking care of mother in law
    I've not been hitting the trail as I'd have liked and for some reason, because I was one of the first red hats it seems as if they have also lost me.
    I'm hoping to show up on someones line in the near future to get a little practice and hopefully will hit the trail again soon.
    I really do miss it I had a wonderful time.

Last edited:

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    after an embarrasing debut at riley in august of 08,with a mini and lots of dry fire under my belt, I scored 211 at a cloverdale mini in oct of 08.
    My highest score is 234 scoped and 220 with irons. I've tried to make every "mini" just to keep from getting rusty. I'll be moving to ohio soon, I hope someone will be doing "mini's" over there.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    First Appleseed was 4-17 and 18th of this year in Fort Wayne. Great weekend, scored a 226 to patch on the second day. The .22 I brought was a joke so I didn't have a chance until I was able to get my AR out. I have been talking about the Appleseed Project to pretty much everyone I come across since then. I'll be back at least a couple of more times.
    rifleman_5.jpg

Last edited:

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    First Appleseed was the big 156 shooter one in Evansville, April 2007:
    Here's 'part' of the line:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4546566239_cb1a078141_o.jpg

Here's one portion of the rifle line:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4546566259_866a995e5d_o.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/49577948@N06/4546566259/in/photostream/

I had a ton of bad habits to overcome, took another E'ville shoot and a Boot Camp at Red Brush before I picked up a patch, The Guy got me over the hump. High score so far was a 228, we'll see how I do this weekend.

Don't know how many I've done since (TN-2, FL-2, GA-1, WY-2, ID-2) and too many here to easily recall. Met the absolute best people you can imagine everywhere I've been. Had a colonel tell me he was bringing men home from overseas because of the skills we were able to pass on.

Broke bread with Oleg Volk and shaken the hands Jeff and Chris Knox.

What a ride, and it is only beginning!

HH

Last edited:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I have been unable to attend a full seed but I did attend a mini in January and was a walk on for the second day of one. during the mini I realized I didnt know near as much as I thought I did. I was effective to 300yrds on my first redcoat target but I lacked grouping/consistency. as the day wore on my groups tightened up but I learned I was the least effective when in the standing position..my shots where everywhere! I took what I learned home and worked on my standing position and can now get all rounds on target consistently..now I just need to work on my grouping,if I can train my finger to stay on the trigger after each shot I will be able to do it:rolleyes:
    on 3/28 of this year at redbrush rifle range I was able to shoot a 215 on my first AQT which I was I mighty proud of considering the fact that I shot with a busted ankle and fractured wrist and not to mention the crappy weather.
    Im looking forward to being able to attend both days...judging by the schedule I have a couple months to wait.
    the shooting part of an appleseed event is great but I really enjoy the history I've learned....as you all know,you'll hear stories that will make your spine tingle and remind you how great it truly is to be an American.:patriot:

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Took me three Appleseed weekend shoots and a boot camp at Red Brush Rifle Range to earn my patch. It was a 218. Master Instructor The Guy had to pound into my head to follow through. I still wake up in the middle of the night with his words "And you will follow through!" ringing in my head. :) I had a major pre-shot blinking issue that needed correction.

High so far is a 231 with a perfect standing and slow prone stage.

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I earned my patch July 2009 at Riley. I too had many bad habits and a rather thick skull. DaveD, Bill of Rights, ATM, and Brokensling had their work cut out for them. I attended one mini, and two full seeds before breaking those bad habits and putting my proper training together to score a 218. Thanks to their kindness and paitence.

Early on I knew that being an instructor was my goal, and on the eve of my second seed, Tecres offered me an orange hat and I proudly accepted.

I have had the honor of seeing many attendees at shoots come from cooks to rifleman, a privlage I hope to carry on for quite some time.

Thanks to all who come before and after. :patriot: Don

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Rifleman score at Freedom in 2008. Last AQT Sunday afternoon and I can't even tell you my score except it was over 210. (I didn't get wet) Tracerfire gets the credit for this with his encouragement and instruction all afternoon.
    My high score so far is a 229.

I knew I wanted to instruct and pursued that with Ornell, the Shoot Boss. So the Orange Hat in 2008 , and the Red and Green Hats followed in 2009.

The History is what drives me, the desire to honor our Founders, to awaken the sleeping or indifferent to our responsibilities as Americans. I forget names, but get choked up in the telling of the Story.

See you on the trail.

Dave

jclark

Grandmaster
    Feb 24, 2009
    Attended a mini in Jan.
    Scored a 220 in my first AQT 3/27.
    Never shot another AQT that day.... instead I let someone use my rifle. Their rifle kept jamming.

Last edited:

ImGumbyD@mIt

Plinker
    Aug 23, 2009
    Lafayette Area
    April 18th, 2009 at my first Appleseed in Lafayette, IN.

I gave it away to a new Rifleman the next day because we had so many at that shoot, they ran out of patches.

Luckily, they still had an orange hat for me and they mailed me a new patch. ;)

Get out there and join us! :patriot:

You know, if I remember correctly ATM, I think I was the one you gave the patch up to. My father and I both got Rifleman that second day! That is a day I will always remember... Man I love Appleseeds!!! For those of you who haven't tried it yet, what the heck are you waiting for!?!? If you get a chance to go, DO IT! ;) I promise you that you will not regret it! :ar15::ar15:

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    Cloverdale in April.

DaveD, Bill of Rights, and Don of Many Children were the instructors, and my new role models for life :)

I couldnt shoot worth a spit when I got there, by the second day I scored rifleman on all three AQTs, a 232, and a 226 which was almost a perfect target with two fliers.

Got a Super-Cool-Challenge-Coin out of that.

I learned so much, told a lot of people about it, and made some copies of the flier for my local gunshop to pass out.

Appleseed, is the best thing I have done all year.

"All ready on the firing line, shooters... by the numbers.... FIIIIIRE"

<crackle pop pop pop pew boom boom pew pew crackle pop pop>

:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

It just makes me feel.....

:patriot:

Sep 29, 2009
    Mooresville
    I attended my first seed in I think Sept '09 at Cloverdale after hearing about it from a friend. I, and my parents who also came, had a GREAT time! None of us made rifleman, but got close. My best I think was 198. We all saw ALOT of improvement. Then I came back, with my wife, in April, back at Cloverdale, and got rifleman with a 216 and a 218. Dom, I was right next to you, on your right.

I cannot think of a single negative about the Appleseed Project. Except maybe that one weekend of the history, shooting instruction, the instructors themselves, laughs, burned gunpowder smell, dingling of empty brass, everything, is just not enough. I can't wait for more! It is just about the best way to spend a weekend, and family and friends make it even better!

All the instructors that I have met are awesome! Bill Of Rights, DaveD, DHolder, ATM, yellowhousejake, and Sue (I hope I didn't miss any) are huge assets to the program. I know, all you guys, and gal, are really humble, but we truly cannot thank you enough for what you do.

Now my wife, my mom and my sister will be back at Cloverdale in a couple of weeks for the women only seed. I am really excited!

Bottom line: What an incredible program! 10 out of 5 thumbs up!

Top Bottom