• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, it's legal through the mail, but there are some things I have to ask to make sure it is for your purposes.

Are you sending the rifle out of state?

Selling it?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i was told threw the mail it had to go ffl dealer to ffl dealer for the transaction to be legal. i dont know where in or out of state the guy wouldnt tell me.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    not legal. To go without FFL it must be going in for repair to manufacturer and back. I don't know if this is also true if sending to a out of state gunsmith or not though.

If selling or transferring in any way, must have FFL.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Whoah whoah whoah, there's a lot of not correct information on here.

• Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL but may be shipped intrastate. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

• A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

• Firearms delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment, if mailing to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors. Notice to the carrier is not required when shipping to one of the licensed entities aforementioned. Letter from BATFE summarizing shipping responsibilities under the law: Media:BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg
    You can sell someone a long-gun in IN and shipi it right to them through the USPS. If it comes from out of state, or is going out of state, it's illegal.

ETA: It's also legal through UPS.

Read these two threads
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._directly_to_residents_of_the_same_state.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/17525-selling_guns_across_state_lines.html

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    I have the same question about pistols. Traveling by air and do not want to go through the hassle. Can I ship a pistol to myself at an address in another state and then return ship to home address?

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I have the same question about pistols. Traveling by air and do not want to go through the hassle. Can I ship a pistol to myself at an address in another state and then return ship to home address?

It's really not a hassle to fly with a pistol in your checked luggage. Four flights last month , 3 different airlines and 3 different airports - no problems.

Top Bottom