• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigwill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Does anyone know of a set of rifle sights that I could mount on a cut down side by side shotgun? I was thinking using it to hunt deer in brush like a Africa double barrel rifle. It would give me a quick second shot.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Does anyone know of a set of rifle sights that I could mount on a cut down side by side shotgun? I was thinking using it to hunt deer in brush like a Africa double barrel rifle. It would give me a quick second shot.

:):That is the dumbest, lamest idea I have ever heard...Let me know what you find out!!!!

The problem you are going to run into is making sure both barrels are regulated to hit the same spot (at roughly 40 yards or so). I would have the side by side first and shoot some slugs to see it the barrels appear to be regulated and then go from there...I have often toyed with the idea myself. Good luck on your endeavor and keep us in the loop. I have a Rossi 20 gauge coach gun that I have long considered doing that to as well...

bigwill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    For something in heavy wooded area it should be ideal because your shots will be under 60-70 yards max.. Express-type sights would be ideal for short range snap shooting. I have shot slugs from a cut down side by side and was getting about 6-8 inch group at 50 yards. Was hoping the sights might help.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If the barrels are not aligned well with slugs it will be hard to get a nice pattern with the slugs. With strings of shot the barrels just need to be close to the target with slugs you want them almost touching. Most of the cost of a good double rifle or drilling is getting the point of impact aligned with all barrels.

I guess you could place 2 sets of sights on it. One for each barrel. The cost of that most likely will be more expensive than a rifled barrel single shot shotgun or PCR with a wrist ammo holder. You will have a better first shot than the double gun and with a wrist mounted ammo holder a follow up shot is quick enough to down your deer in place as it is getting up from the first shot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Kodiak Magnum double muzzle loader uses a single blade front and a dual leaf folding rear, so each barrel can be sighted in.

kodiak42.jpg

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The double leaf is for different distances, methinks. Not for individual barrels. The barrels are regulated to a specific distance where the POI is the same. Generally, on a double rifle, this distance is around 35 to 50 meters.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Back when that rig came out they said it (dual leaf rear-independently adjustable) was for individual barrel sighting.
    For a back then $500 rifle I doubt the regulation was very close. Lengel's had a like new used one and I about fell for it, several times. It was a TANK.
    Thankfully I passed. Later they got a newer version in and it had nowhere near the engraving (if you could call it that) and the fit and finish was way worse.
    The first one was pretty decent, again, for a $500 rig. The next one I saw was pretty crappy.
    Think Navy Arms imported them.

They make a .45-70 version now and it's a bit more $. Haqve not handled or seen one in probably 20 years. Dunno how the new ones are, if regulation upgraded and sights differ. IIRC the MZ I saw had dual Lyman folding leafs (like those found on a 10/22).

The pic I posted from the web, dunno if the rig was stock or not, if there were sighting changes or not. The two i handled had different sights (handled both within a 2 yr span).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have been thinking of a donor side by side and inserts, to make a .44 mag double rifle (or .445 Supermag).
    Even thought a .357 Max on a smaller frame might be cool.
    Alas............no time or $ to mess with such a thing.
    So yeah, this kind of thread gets me going again, kinda sorta.
    Maybe one of these days.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been thinking of a donor side by side and inserts, to make a .44 mag double rifle (or .445 Supermag).
    Even thought a .357 Max on a smaller frame might be cool.
    Alas............no time or $ to mess with such a thing.
    So yeah, this kind of thread gets me going again, kinda sorta.
    Maybe one of these days.

Thanks for the sweet dreams! Those are nice. 44mag side by side would be kick a**! Sounds do-able. Wanta build a gun :-) My dad had a side by side shotgun with hammers on the side. it was my great grandpa's It was stolen in the 70'sI never knew the gauge. Someday I hope to run accros something close to it. No more 45-70 talk or I'll never get to sleep! lol

Top Bottom