• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    Just picked up an old glenfield marlin 60 the other day, it functions flawlessly but definitely needs some attention to the finish. There are quite a few spots of surface rust on the barrel and mag tube and the receiver finish is also pretty worn down....I'm look at refinishing it but looking at doing it cheaply since I don't want to have a lot of money in the rifle. I thought about one of those duracoat shake n spray kits but would like some input on how to bring some life back into the finish.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Most all of the surface rust (so long as it hasn't progressed to the point of being pitted)can be removed and neutralized by gently rubbing it with a combination of Corrosion-X and bronze wool. Steel wool can too-easily damage or remove the remaining bluing; bronze won't. You can get some from Brownell's or Midway USA.

No matter what product or method you decide on for the job, the quality of the surface prep will almost certainly be a large determining factor in how well the finished product looks and lasts.

IMHO, it's always worth the cost of a phone call to the tech help folks at Brownell's for help and advice on choosing the best product for the particular project you have in mind. Lots of experience and expertise there, and they're always glad to help you out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Most all of the surface rust (so long as it hasn't progressed to the point of being pitted)can be removed and neutralized by gently rubbing it with a combination of Corrosion-X and bronze wool. Steel wool can too-easily damage or remove the remaining bluing; bronze won't. You can get some from Brownell's or Midway USA.

No matter what product or method you decide on for the job, the quality of the surface prep will almost certainly be a large determining factor in how well the finished product looks and lasts.

IMHO, it's always worth the cost of a phone call to the tech help folks at Brownell's for help and advice on choosing the best product for the particular project you have in mind. Lots of experience and expertise there, and they're always glad to help you out.

I have been using 0000 steel wool and break free or wd40 for this purpose for years and the gunsmith i work for has been doing the same for decades. just stay w/ the 0000 and no courser.

Top Bottom