• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Ummmm, yeah, because that's what happens in every other state where they use rifles. Mayhem I say, utter mayhem.

I can use a .30-06 to take out a ground hog but not a deer? Where in IN do you get 300 yard shots on white tail? So many questions.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    What I don't understand is who needs to have a high powered rifle to hunt? What's wrong with a shotgun? I just don't want to see people trying to take a 300 yard shot on a deer and have no idea where their bullet is actually going. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. JMO.....

And nobody takes 300 yard shots with shotguns

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "need" has absolutely, positively ZERO to do with it.

It's distressing to still read comments from ostensible pro-gunners who speak and write with the lexicon of anti-gunners.
    Hell, even my own brother expressed his disapproval of HB1231's passage.
    I rolled my eyes, then totally obliterated his contention that high-powered rifles for deer had been banned in Indiana for over a century because of safety concerns, i.e. the restriction was based entirely upon the near extermination of deer in Indiana at the turn of the 20th century, so the then brand new DNR placed restrictions to make it more difficult to harvest deer at that time.
    The fact that my own closest of kin, who actually has quite a nice sporterized Enfield rebarreled into .30-06, would be a part of the Luddites who would have thwarted HPR for deer is incredibly vexing.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ummmm, yeah, because that's what happens in every other state where they use rifles. Mayhem I say, utter mayhem.

I can use a .30-06 to take out a ground hog but not a deer? Where in IN do you get 300 yard shots on white tail? So many questions.

Btw...I hunt on my aunt's farm at the edge of a woods directly next to a big field with possible shots extending well past 300 yards.
    I should also mention that only one of the three deer I shot approached my stand from within the woods, while the rest approached from that big field.
    I realize that you're weighing in in favor of HPR, but I'm certain that lots of other folks hunt similar geography, and an HPR would provide a significant advantage for such geography.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    Some hunters don't think I "need" a 30-06 to hunt deer, I don't think that they "need" an AR-15 for target shooting, or a 15 round mag for their CCW or home defense handgun. You want to call it even, and let me use my deer gun of choice and you keep your black rifles? Or should we keep Deer Season as is shotgun handgun only, and I will support a Clinton Style Gun Ban? They don't want to share the woods with me and my 30-06 (a fallacy by the way I'm on my own land if there in range there trespassing.) Well then I don't want to share the mall with them and their Glock.
    Gun rights are gun rights! As supporters of the 2nd Amendment we should all favor limiting restrictions of any type, so long as it's reasonable. And using "Deer Rifles for Deer Hunting is certainly reasonable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I hunt my bud's dads...........if shooting from east to west, center of the field is 250.
    North to south, proly 700 from ditch to back fence.
    My old fave spot, I popped one at 165, another at 150 and one at 178..........and not using sabots or PCR.

Yeah,.30-06 can be used on groundhogs. Most of sense would reload and use varmint bullets.
    Don't see many folks chucking these days, and even if there are a few guys in your area, they probably are pretty spread out.
    Chucks are small and pretty shock resistant, so varmint bullets from flatter cartridges are the choice.

So again............the "legal for varmints" logic is BS.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    people trying to take a 300 yard shot on a deer and have no idea where their bullet is actually going. .....

After re-reading this (yes, it's early and I'm bored) I have to note that if you are taking a shot and have no idea where the bullet is going you should not be hunting...or be allowed around firearms in general near polite society.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What I don't understand is who needs to have a high powered rifle to hunt? What's wrong with a shotgun? I just don't want to see people trying to take a 300 yard shot on a deer and have no idea where their bullet is actually going. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. JMO.....

Shotguns were created to propel large quantities of small pellets or "shot" for the purposes of taking small, thin skinned flying and running animals. Rifles were created to propel a single large projectile accurately at distance for the purpose of taking larger game. So the real question is why would anyone willfully choose a weapon not designed for the task at hand over a weapon not only specifically designed for that task but far better at it if they had the choice?

IMO, emptying a bead "sighted" pump shotgun at any deer that runs by is far worse and more dangerous than taking a 300 yard shot with a rifle that at least has actual sights but idiots will be idiots regardless of the weapon they use.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    IMO, emptying a bead "sighted" pump shotgun at any deer that runs by is far worse and more dangerous than taking a 300 yard shot with a rifle that at least has actual sights but idiots will be idiots regardless of the weapon they use.

Could not agree more.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think it's more than a little weird to contend that Hoosier hunters are so stupid that they can't handle hunting with rifles like hunters in many, many other states do, without issues. Where does this come from?

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I think it's more than a little weird to contend that Hoosier hunters are so stupid that they can't handle hunting with rifles like hunters in many, many other states do, without issues. Where does this come from?

Having spent several decades hunting the mountains in Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico, I can tell you that it made absolutely no damned difference where the hunter came from. Be it Colorado or any "western" state, Indiana, New York or Alabama, or where ever, there wes ALWAYS a stupid one in the bunch. I could tell you stories about the stupid things people do with guns. Male, female, experienced, inexperienced. EVERYBODY does stupid crap every now and again. It's just that some do it more often than others.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    One of the main reasons I quit hunting back in the 70s was simply because of all of the stupid hunters I ran across in the woods and the number of hunters shot by other hunters every year in my home State who were shooting at some "sound" they heard. Too many guys told me they "heard" something and then shot at it. Then came "shotgun only" laws and the "requirement" of dayglo orange clothes. After a couple of close calls from idiots shooting in my direction I just walked away from the whole scene. It's bad enough that they allow these idiots to operate motor vehicles and cell phones and even vote, but when they walk around shooting at sounds they heard I decided I had enough.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom