• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Surprised they didn't include .358 Hoosier since it was more or less developed for Indiana deer hunting.

Also sounds like 300AAC will likely end up only usable in a "handgun" unless they completely re-wrote the handgun criteria.

The 358 Hoosier is still good. It isn't taking away anything that was already legal.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son was pretty excited about this as he recently inherited a Winchester 94 in 30-30 from his Grandpa. Now he can use it for his first deer hunt.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    The list does seem strange? I would really think that setting the 30-06 case family as the max powder capacity, and the 6mm/243 as a minimum caliber would be a better set of limits. This is probably just a test run law for rifles, to insure that hunters are safe with them. Then allowing for more to follow. I do see the private property rule, as being something that could stay in existence given the numbers of people in some of the state lands?
    I like to play with guns so, I will start working up loads for my -06 and the 30-30 this summer and pack each a little bit just for the thrill of using something different, but the little .44 carbine will be the go to gun for the time being. I was going to have a 358Hoosier built, but now will wait to see if more calibers come, then just make it a 358win.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    If I remember correctly one of the reasons for "pulling" the rifle proposal last year was, " that many land owners that currently allow hunting, would object to the use of high power rifles and no longer allow people to hunt."

So how exactly is it that this is no longer a concern? I realize that landowners can of course refuse permission for people to use rifles, but they could have done that last year as well.

I also still need someone to explain why I can use a 270,243,30-06 300RUM 50BMG in a handgun but not in a rifle.

All of this is a demonstration of idiocy at it's highest level.

When I tell my friends from Montana about Indiana deer hunting gun laws, they shake their heads in disbelief.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Depending on the type of tag a land owner uses, they aren't. Depredation tags have no caliber restrictions that I'm aware of.

i'm refering to across the board use. I have 23 wooded acres that I live on. I am not farming obviously and just use it for recreation/living. I would love to use my 30 30 on or buy a Matlin 45 70 but have used my 357 Marlin. Just don't see why you can't use a real rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW years ago, when bonus county tags (antlerless) were by draw............they also had "depredation tags", which were antlerless tags for use in the regular hunting season, based on biologists's assessment of deer damage. The idea was that if Farmer John needed 10 does smoked, he could use up to 2 tags for himself, the other 8 had to go to others. This was to get more folks land access, supposedly, while helping the farmer out.

Now with doe tags over the counter, depredation tags are not for use in the sporting season, rather they are referencing the nuisance take before the sporting seasons.
    There are no cal restrictions there.

More involved than plopping cash and walking out with a doe tag from the sporting goods section of Walmart.............but HP rifles have been legally used to take deer, without public outcry. Lesser # of folks, probably spread out.........pest control really.

Go to Mississinewa res during the reg gun opener (back in the shotgun, MZ and HG days)...........yeah. You might see why the politicians were reluctant to go "public land" with HP rifle for this test priod.

The mentioning of HP rifle for squirrels is a ludicrous argument. The one about coyotes is idiotic as well. Less coyote hunters, wider types of terrain, and the use of varmint bullets (by those of knowledge)...............the argument doesn't stand.

Safe hunters are safe hunters and could use anything without issue. Inexperienced or inbred..........may pose higher risk (HP rifles extending the range of their stupidity).

I wonder how the harvest numbers will change (if any) and how pressures will change deer movement from a small parcel hunter's perspective. Plus the competition for land and how that will affect deer lease prices.

There never is a win win. Might not affect some or most of us. But it;s gonna affect a few, just don't know if positive or negative.

My little spot, PCR MZ or shotgun........new rifles will be fun but won't change a thing.
    If I lease a place up north, I'll wait until the law changes yet again, because with a 7 Mag I could cover the whole spot.
    And there's big deer up north.

IMHO the allowance of HP rifles will not improve the accuracy of most folks. Those who shoot like crap are usually cheapskates or idiots, or lack the eyes/hands to get things right.
    For a few maybe dropping down to a .243 or light loads in some of the others will help...............but then those folks probably already went to .44 spcl or .357 mag under the previous rules.

All this means is bow HP rifles will be bore sighted 5 minutes before the gunshop closes..... the night before opening day.

The avg deer hunter is a moron. The avg non hunter is also a moron.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    FWIW years ago, when bonus county tags (antlerless) were by draw............they also had "depredation tags", which were antlerless tags for use in the regular hunting season, based on biologists's assessment of deer damage. The idea was that if Farmer John needed 10 does smoked, he could use up to 2 tags for himself, the other 8 had to go to others. This was to get more folks land access, supposedly, while helping the farmer out.

Now with doe tags over the counter, depredation tags are not for use in the sporting season, rather they are referencing the nuisance take before the sporting seasons.
    There are no cal restrictions there.

More involved than plopping cash and walking out with a doe tag from the sporting goods section of Walmart.............but HP rifles have been legally used to take deer, without public outcry. Lesser # of folks, probably spread out.........pest control really.

Go to Mississinewa res during the reg gun opener (back in the shotgun, MZ and HG days)...........yeah. You might see why the politicians were reluctant to go "public land" with HP rifle for this test priod.

The mentioning of HP rifle for squirrels is a ludicrous argument. The one about coyotes is idiotic as well. Less coyote hunters, wider types of terrain, and the use of varmint bullets (by those of knowledge)...............the argument doesn't stand.

Safe hunters are safe hunters and could use anything without issue. Inexperienced or inbred..........may pose higher risk (HP rifles extending the range of their stupidity).

I wonder how the harvest numbers will change (if any) and how pressures will change deer movement from a small parcel hunter's perspective. Plus the competition for land and how that will affect deer lease prices.

There never is a win win. Might not affect some or most of us. But it;s gonna affect a few, just don't know if positive or negative.

My little spot, PCR MZ or shotgun........new rifles will be fun but won't change a thing.
    If I lease a place up north, I'll wait until the law changes yet again, because with a 7 Mag I could cover the whole spot.
    And there's big deer up north.

IMHO the allowance of HP rifles will not improve the accuracy of most folks. Those who shoot like crap are usually cheapskates or idiots, or lack the eyes/hands to get things right.
    For a few maybe dropping down to a .243 or light loads in some of the others will help...............but then those folks probably already went to .44 spcl or .357 mag under the previous rules.

All this means is bow HP rifles will be bore sighted 5 minutes before the gunshop closes..... the night before opening day.

The avg deer hunter is a moron. The avg non hunter is also a moron.

I don't disagree with you, there are several that probably shouldn't be in the woods with anythng other than a single shot. But I'm nit s sure the deer herds will be any more decimated than they already get. I mean there are already folks trimming down 35 rem and 45 70 cases and buying 300 blackout AR 15's with the SIG brace so what will really change other than no more skirting the rules?

Time will tell though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Plenty of clueless folks running single shots.

The avg deer hunter isnt really a gun nut. You see that the week before the opener.
    An orange vest turns joe d*ckweed at work into a freakin' French Canadian trapper and elk slayer.

I don't see trimming a .35 rem to fit the PCR stuff to be skirting the law.
    Nothing changes ballistically, the round is 200 yds and in.

Now making a wildcat that's almost 400 yard capable, that might be seen as skirting ;) LOL

But since the law is cartridge based, I say go for it. Got no problem with any of it.
    The guys spending the time and money, are like hot rodders...............not your normal car guys.

Those who invest more usually are a bit more ..............let's just say "refined". Sure some idiot with a decently thick wallet can play the game, but within the "skirters" I'd guess their % to be less.

I don't see a .300 Blackout with sig brace to be skirting the rules either. Handgun hunting is different.
    Those that put the sigbrace to their shoulder ARE breaking the rules, not skirting it.

Silly maybe, but a handgun is a handgun, and going against the BATF on using that brace.............well, screw the SOB's that cheat.
    Run it as handgun or get the flip out of the field IMHO.

Geeesh, one should try to maintain some nobility in this sport. Lying about what and how one uses their gear...........is just boolsheite.

Yeah, we know folks will cheat, use sigbrace as buttstock.
    None of my friends are of that type :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd like a 7600 carbine in '06
    For me it's about using cool stuff, stuff not of the ordinary.
    Killing deer isn't hard, once you get the hang of it.

So might as well make it a bit more fun, whatever that means/takes.

I just like watching them. If a decent one comes along, put it in the freezer.
    Heck, I think I enjoy cooking venison almost as much as I do the deer to venison conversion process.

A Model Four or Model Six Remington, in carbine..........would be neat. But prices were up on those already :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a #1 in .243 win I was going to rebarrel to .35 rem, might keep as is now.
    Have my .35 rem TC Contender Super 16 (man is it a joy to tote).
    Pops has a .44 mag Ruger auto (fingergroove). Cool old rifle (I took a deer with it first yr IN allowed PCR).
    If I snag a clean Rem pump and a 7 mag for out west (had one, liked it a lot actually)...............I think I'll be OK.
    But then if the regs go wide open eventually (.243 and larger, 1.16 min).....I could get silly and run a .256 win for close range doe taggin'.
    All sorts of ideas come to mind :)

The less common the more cool.

Top Bottom