• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have been looking at 1911s. I don't have one. Seems there are many manufacturing companies and many different models/options by each. Prices range from $500 - $2500. I am thinking about getting an entry level 1911 to get things started.

So my question is, would a Rock Island Armory 1911 be a good starting point for 1911?

Rock Island Armory 1911 GI Mid Size 45 - Impact Guns

I looks nice and has a nice price! I really like the E-series by S&W, but they are more than twice the price. I am not necessarily looking to buy from Impact, just reference to that model.

Your thoughts please.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are you going to be wanting to change the sights? Grips? Grip safety to an extended beaver tail? Trigger? Hammer?

The reason I ask is bc it just seems (to me) that once you do all that you will have spent the $500 (roughly after tax) on the gun then adding those things will put you around maybe $700, I think there are plenty of 1911's out there with all of that already done for around that price.

That being said, if you like that original old school look then thats a great price, unfortunately I cant speak to the quality/reliability of a RIA.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My rock island has been flawless so far. I bought it to carry and it ate everything I threw at it, even semi wad cutter reloads. Sure the fit and finish aren't perfect, but I'm more of a function over fashion kind of guy.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I have an ATI FX GI, Commander size 1911. It came with the extended beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammer, and checkered grips, for about the same money as that rock island. The trigger is better on the ATI, than on my buddies RIA Tactical, And the slide to frame fit is better as well!

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have had an RIA for about 7 years. No complaints, great CS when I wanted a new recoil spring. Only question was "What's your address?".

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    My first 1911 was a Rock Island full size tactical. It has been a very good gun, too good really :rolleyes:. I have others now too, all of them more expensive than the RI, and some not as nice. The tactical models include better sights, hammer, beavertail, etc...for some reason they only offer tac's in full size and compact, not the mid size. Shop around on Gunbroker, i've seen some good deals, or try Centerfire Systems.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I bought my RIA a few months ago and its shot everything-- Lead, plated, hollow-points doesn't matter. I bought the full sized tactical model in 9mm, I've almost got enough to go pick up the FS tactical in .45.
    Go to www.1911forum.com and any questions you have about a RIA will be answered. Their customer service is top notch from what I've read.
    I know I'm buying at least one more!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My RIA Compact has been a great gun. It came with a bull barrel, extended beaver tail grip safety, skeletonized hammer and has been very reliable. I've added a match trigger and extended thumb safety and on a whim, refinished it last summer. As long as you stay within the recoil spring change interval, it's been perfectly reliable.

The drawback on it is the sights. I don't know what type they are, but nobody seems to want to change them. I can live with the small sights at the range, but prefer something a bit bigger for carry.

IMAG1289_edit0.jpg

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Why did you say door stop? Did you have problems with it? Just curious, don't ususally read too many negatives about them.

Came out of the box non-functional. After twelve weeks at RIA it came back virtually the same way. So for me, their guns and their service sucks. I've acquired 5 1911's since then, none from RIA.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I've purchased a RIA in Nickel finish and a Metro Arms American Classic Amigo and both have been beautiful, flawless running guns. The RIA had boring grips so I replaced with synthetic pearl grips for pimp factor. The Amigo is an out the box stunner.

450px-NickelM1911.jpg

attachment.php

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I am/have been a Kimber, Springfield & Rock Island Armory 1911 owner...

Guess what I carried daily between the three and trust my life with? The RIA 1911.

That's not to take away the spotlight from the other two (or all other high dollar 1911's),
    But it's a simple misconception that a "cheaper" 1911 won't work.

The truth of it? The only time I've EVER had a jam/FTF from one of my own 1911's,
    It was with the most expensive one (the Kimber). Again, not saying that's how it will always be;
    Just making sure EVERYONE understands the design in these pistols are virtually the same technology.

Jeff

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've purchased a RIA in Nickel finish and a Metro Arms American Classic Amigo and both have been beautiful, flawless running guns. The RIA had boring grips so I replaced with synthetic pearl grips for pimp factor. The Amigo is an out the box stunner.

450px-NickelM1911.jpg

attachment.php
    Good looking guns! Thanks for the post.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you're looking for a 1911 in that price range, get a Citadel. I've yet to hear of one out of the box that wouldn't work, unlike many RIA stories

I'm pretty sure they are both the same Philippines Armscor 1911, just imported by different companies with different roll marks. So yeah....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom