• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    There was a thread about chips in guns previously and the general consensus was nope can't happen. Well there seems to be more validity to this now.

Previous Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/279254-rfid.html

A current YouTube video about the RFID chips in guns: The Rise of RFID 'Smart Guns' - YouTube

Article with links for reference: New RFID 'Smart Guns' May Be Used By Govt to Bypass Second Amendment

So now we know this is real, what are the chances the Democrats can use this to effect a type of gun control?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    There was a thread about chips in guns previously and the general consensus was nope can't happen. Well there seems to be more validity to this now.

Previous Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/279254-rfid.html

A current YouTube video about the RFID chips in guns: The Rise of RFID 'Smart Guns' - YouTube

Article with links for reference: New RFID 'Smart Guns' May Be Used By Govt to Bypass Second Amendment

So now we know this is real, what are the chances the Democrats can use this to effect a type of gun control?

Cant read the article :( , what type of control can be implemented by having these chips in guns?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They already are. You can't bring a new handgun to market in California without using smart gun tech.

In order to by-pass the 2nd Am., they would also have to chip all of their own guns. After all, U.S. v Miller said the 2nd only protected ownership of guns of like kind to those used in government service. I predict, if smart guns ever actually made it to market, there would be a gold rush to sell kits that remove the smart components from the mechanism and restored the design to a real gun mechanism.

And remember, "Only dumb people need smart guns."

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Cant read the article :( , what type of control can be implemented by having these chips in guns?

Basically it gives the government control over your gun. Using something called WAC (Wide Area Control) it allows the government to disable a smart gun via the RFID chip in the gun.
    The best part if I understand it correctly is once disabled in order to enable the gun again it takes eye recognition and verification that you are actually the owner. Also they seem to be subject to the same interference that pace makers are, like microwave's for example. This is some scary stuff.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think it is nonsense.

Smart guns being "issued"? Like all 300 million of us are in Training Platoon 101 or something?

My 11 year old nephews hack phones and Xboxes. I am not concerned over some neckbeard wanting to create added value to his tech company who does not understand how firearms work.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wanna know how you defeat an RFID? Hit that baby with a stun gun and it will fry it. No more intrusion on your rights. Some tires also have an RFID chip that they use to track you. Many items now days have them. Zap them an be done with it.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    I don't see how this would not be going against the 2nd amend. This is to protect the people from a tyranic government ..... little good if the government can turn them off whenever they want.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All of this presupposes that manufacturers will make guns with electronic controls. That would be a huge and very expensive undertaking. An RFID chip isn't going to defeat a purely mechanical device, which all guns currently are. Track it, maybe... disable it? Don't think so.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    All of this presupposes that manufacturers will make guns with electronic controls. That would be a huge and very expensive undertaking. An RFID chip isn't going to defeat a purely mechanical device, which all guns currently are. Track it, maybe... disable it? Don't think so.

I don't think it is absolute control. And I can not find the exact method of disabling the gun. There are several different technologies and so I would guess different methods of disabling. The most I have been able to find out is that it seems what it does is enable a internal safety. That tells leads me to believe that would be fairly easy to defeat. But would defeating this safety carry the same kind of penalty that say obliterating a serial number does now? This could be a tool employed to further infringe on our 2A rights.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would function, mechanicly speaking, like just another safety. Just like a trigger safety, grip safety, mag safety, or thumb safety. It would ultimately result in a tiny piece of metal being in one place, which allows the firearm to discharge, or in another, which would prevent it. We have a name for devices that bridge from the electronics world to the mechanical world: servoes. (Or, more genericly, an actuator, solenoid, etc.) It would be a relatively simple matter to do some gunsmithing surgery to remove that "safety" mechanism and render the remaining mechanism operable, as if the "smart" gun feature was always and continuously actuated in the operational state.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would function, mechanicly speaking, like just another safety. Just like a trigger safety, grip safety, mag safety, or thumb safety. It would ultimately result in a tiny piece of metal being in one place, which allows the firearm to discharge, or in another, which would prevent it. We have a name for devices that bridge from the electronics world to the mechanical world: servoes. (Or, more genericly, an actuator, solenoid, etc.) It would be a relatively simple matter to do some gunsmithing surgery to remove that "safety" mechanism and render the remaining mechanism operable, as if the "smart" gun feature was always and continuously actuated in the operational state.
    True, but I would think that the manufacturing changes to implement these new features would be fairly substantial at least at first. Then there is the matter of a power source. Servoes and solenoids require energy to function, even if small. Even with solar (not really reliable unless the gun is in a brightly lit location) or some kind of kinetic generation would require a way to store that little bit of electricity. Batteries eventually wear out too. I just think that as things are currently there are just too many obstacles to make it a realistic option (although the liberal gun grabbers aren't known for being grounded in reality).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The RFID I'm familiar with are those used in industrial environments. These are relatively low power readers and your RFID tag has to be in pretty close proximity to the reader before it is activated. I suppose it's conceivable that there could be a nation-wide network established to track these things, similar to cell phone systems, but I don't see this happening. I'd say it's more likely that RFID equipped guns would be disabled as you take them into facilities with corresponding transceivers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The RFID I'm familiar with are those used in industrial environments. These are relatively low power readers and your RFID tag has to be in pretty close proximity to the reader before it is activated. I suppose it's conceivable that there could be a nation-wide network established to track these things, similar to cell phone systems, but I don't see this happening. I'd say it's more likely that RFID equipped guns would be disabled as you take them into facilities with corresponding transceivers.
    Right. I think people are confusing RFID chips (passive, readable) with something more involved like anti-theft technology which allows cars to be disabled remotely in case of theft. Of course the car has the benefit of a relatively large power source - the battery.

Top Bottom