• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I've been considering a revolver for a while, but my first handguns ended up being a couple of semi-autos. Well, I think it is time to finally scratch. It would be used for rough carry (camping, hiking, etc.) and the range, and not really for concealed carry (I have my CZ P-01 for that.)

I was wondering people's opinion of the Taurus Model 66 with 4 inch barrel. I like the idea of a 7round 357 revolver.

Or how about the EAA Windicator?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wheelguns rock! Go ahead and scratch the itch already :D As far as the EAA windicator model, I have personally only fired one a few times and was pretty impressed with my limited use of it, but I have heard of some issues with them from other people. It was all second hand though so I cant say for sure how quality they are. I own a Taurus revolver and have shot many of them. I really enjoy Taurus revolvers and have never had a bad experience with them. Ruger revolvers are really nice too and can handle rough carry for sure! Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Well I can say I know where you are coming from went into the gun shop looking at 1911's and got hooked on a taurus titanium 627 .357 7rd. Never owned one before but it caught my eye and couldn't let it go haha. Needless to say were going to the range Sunday.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Get a S&W Model 66. They are great for camping/hiking, EDC.

IMG_1621.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The Taurus 66 is a good, relatively solid platform. If you want real strength, either go Ruger (thick, yet quality investment cast frame) or go up to the 669/689 series of Taurus (or better yet the 686 of the Smith series). The 689 I had did not have the cut out for the cylinder yoke at the bottom of the focusing cone, as the Smith K frame mags did, which was the weak point in the famous focusing cone crack debate.

Taurus is okay. Unfortunately, the inexpensive Ruger GP or Security Six series is priced up a bit lately. If you can find a decent used Smith, Ruger or even Colt, go for it. Taurus has been known to have a sketchy past.

BTW: If it doesn't necessarily have to be .357, Summitt Gunbroker has Smith model 10s, Colt Official Polices and Police Positives for a song, compared to the hilljacks selling them for 400-500 locally! Get a nice Colt Police Positive for under 300 with FFL and shippping?! Awesome! :)

Real men carry pencil barrel revolvers, anything else is just compensation...

TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    I would go with a Judge just for the simple fact of what you can shoot as far as animals. You can rotate the rounds where yo have a 410 followed by the 45lc so you cant go wrong with this firearm. plus they have a wide variety to choose from. Good luck hunting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I will say that a 4" .357 is probably the most versatile handgun going. Or maybe it's a 5.5" .45 Colt Redhawk... but I digress.

If you might hunt deer with it, 4" is minimum legal length, but 6" to 8" would be much better.

I have carried both a 2" and 4" .357 while out and about. I must say the 2" is my preference by far. Maybe I just need a better holster, but the 4" gets in the way A LOT while hiking and camping.

A K-frame S&W (like a Model 19, 66) is very nice. but if you are going to run hot .357 loads on a regular basis an L-frame (Model 686) or a Ruger is what you want.

If I were going to get a Smith for carry it would be a 340PD Airweight in .357. Even a 2" SP101 gets heavy at the end of the day. (BTW the 2" SP101 is what I carry when I'm not carrying my XD-40.) It's a handful that's for sure, which is why I got a SP101 - hot and heavy .357's feel like .38SPL+p in an Airweight.

I prefer the lines of the Ruger Security Six to all others (Service Six and Speed Six have non adjustable sights, Speed six has a round butt). Get the Security Six, GP100, or a Smith L-frame if you plan to hunt.

For carry a round butt (Speed Six, SP101, etc.) and a 2" to 2.5" barrel is much nicer, IMO.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    i have to say Ruger, Taurus or Smith are great ways to go. I cant sway one way or another on any of them I am impressed by Charter arms and Rossi too. There great guns and at a lower cost compared to the rest. you can get a Rossi or Charter for about $100 dollers less then a Taurus or Smith. But there again some of the Smith lines are offering mail in rebates for new guns in 38spl and 357mag till december of this year so well worth looking in to.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I will say that a 4" .357 is probably the most versatile handgun going.

+1. That being said, I'm selling off my last one. :): The problem I ran into was a good 4" barrel .357 was so heavy it didn't feel like that much more to carry a 4" barrel .44 mag (in fact I just bought back my old 4" .44 mag last night).

My favorite is the sp101 for it's combination of weight, frame strength and firepower. I went with the 2" barrel instead of the 3 because it's eons lighter than a GP100 but the hogue grips tame the recoil just fine and I can drop it in a pocket and the 3" isn't legal for deer anyway. IMHO, the perfect trail gun for east coast and midwest and probably most of the south would be an SP101 with a 4" barrel. You're hiking, not chasing Al Qaeda, and I've never needed more than 3 shots even when chasing wild boar.

Edit: My first gun was a Rossi 971 4" barrel .357 mag I bought for $200 13 years ago. A fine gun that never let me down. I was just roughly put together, hurt to shoot and very hard to find grips for at the time.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a S&W 686 4" that I love. It was my first handgun. Might treat it to a nice holster and some fancy wood grips. You can tell its there when you carry it, but never really bothered me. Switched to a Glock 27 has a carry gun but the 686 will probably get carried randomly again.

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    I've had colts , rugers, rossi and taurus they all are good guns just some better then others. If a taurus is what you want then get it. If you can aford it then get something better. I think you might be happier with the ruger sp101 it not that much more money..........:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Top Bottom