• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    My parents have decided that they need a gun. They have tried my 9mm Sig, but do not really have the hand strength to chamber the first round so they are looking for a revolver. Mostly this gun will be for home defense, but they would also like to take it to the range (Mom loves to shoot my SKS and Dad enjoyed handguns in the service).

I have never had a revolver and can offer no advice. They are thinking about something light (Ruger LCR), but I am concerned that the recoil may not make it a good range gun. Most of all, I want them to get something that they enjoy shooting.

What do you guys think? Suggestions?...

Thanks in advance for the help! :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Small and light firearms, be they revolvers or semi-auto, rarely ever make for a "range gun".

HOWEVER, I did read in a Gunblast article where the author states that the Ruger LCR is quite comfortable to shoot despite it's light weight. He attributed it, iirc, to the polymer frame's slight flexing upon recoil, thereby taking some of the "sting" out of it.

If they're looking for something just for the house, a larger gun, like a S&W M-10 would be PERFECT. You can find those in shops everwhere...prices all across the board, but a great mechanical condition M-10 should be in the $250 range. Price'll go up the better the finish is.

My own personal recommendation would be a Ruger GP100 in .357... Shooting standard pressure .38 Special through it is something you could do all day every day and twice on Sunday. They're relatively inexpensive and are just about bomb-proof.

-J-

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I have a S&W 640 and love it. The stainless construction means less recoil than a 642/442 Airweight, and one has the option to fire .357 mag if desired. With Crimson Trace grips and .38+P ammo, this is very controllable and reasonably accurate at self-defense distances.

However, if the revolver in question will be used only for HD and target shooting...i.e., not for concealed carry...I wonder if something larger, like a S&W 686 with a 4-inch barrel, would be better. I've been wanting to get my hands on a 686 for a while now, they're just a little pricey for me! :twocents:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I believe a compromise for what you are looking for could be a S&W Mod 19/66 two and a half inch round butt. Small enough to be concealable but enough weight for a Ok range gun.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have an LCR and I love it. It is very comfortable to shoot... But having said that if I were just buying a wheel gun for HD and range use I would
    go with a Ruger GP100 no contest.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth . . .

Racking the slide on a self-loading pistol is usually a matter of technique more than strength. Unless they both have some kind of disability, I'll bet I could teach them to rack the slide. If they can pull the trigger on a double action revolver, it's unlikely they lack the strength to rack the slide if they know how to do it.

If you do get them a revolver, DO NOT GET THEM AN ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT SNUBBIE. If you think they can't rack the slide, shooting a lightweight .38 special is going to hurt them.

If a revolver is really the best choice for them, get them a medium frame with a 4-inch barrel like a Ruger GP100, Smith & Wesson 66 or 686, or something similar. Those are all .357, but they'll handle .38 special loads nicely, and still have the versatility of .357 if it's desired at some point.

My parents have decided that they need a gun. They have tried my 9mm Sig, but do not really have the hand strength to chamber the first round so they are looking for a revolver. Mostly this gun will be for home defense, but they would also like to take it to the range (Mom loves to shoot my SKS and Dad enjoyed handguns in the service).

I have never had a revolver and can offer no advice. They are thinking about something light (Ruger LCR), but I am concerned that the recoil may not make it a good range gun. Most of all, I want them to get something that they enjoy shooting.

What do you guys think? Suggestions?...

Thanks in advance for the help! :ingo:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    HOWEVER, I did read in a Gunblast article where the author states that the Ruger LCR is quite comfortable to shoot despite it's light weight. He attributed it, iirc, to the polymer frame's slight flexing upon recoil, thereby taking some of the "sting" out of it.

The best I can say about the Ruger LCR is that it's not quite as bad as an airweight j-frame like a S&W 442. The polymer frame might help a little, but I think the grip makes a bigger difference. It's wider across the backstrap, so it distributes the rearward force over a larger area of the hand.

They're still not a good choice for an inexperienced shooter, especially if their condition is such that they are not physically able to rack the slide on a pistol.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Any S&W K-frame revolver in .38 or .357. There are still some good used ones out there. I've seen a nice Model 19 for $425 and a Model 10 for $300 lately....I picked up a Model 65 a couple months ago for $350.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I had a gal ask the same of me a couple of years ago. We shopped around and found a very lightly used 3" Smith and Wesson Model 60 in .357. I think she paid $349 for it. We went to the range quite a bit. It is a decent range gun. It worked out really well for her. I actually liked it so much, I found and bought one exactly like it for myself a few months later. I think I got mine for $20 less.

Last edited:

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Revolver is good choice.

4" 357 revolver or if money is concern, 4" .38 revolver. Colt, Smith or ruger would be first choice. Charter Arms a good buy for the money.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too will put in another vote for the Ruger GP100. Great gun, with a 4in. barrel and 38spl. loads it is a great range gun and is still very capable of home defense. Awesome to hear that they are interested in taking their home defense seriously!! Good luck with your decision :ingo:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    For SA/DA Revolver I would look at products from Ruger, S&W, Colt, and Taurus...
    I would look at mid-size to full-size frames with a minimum barrel length of 4" all the way up to 6". I would seriously look at the .357 calibers, mainly because of the choice between two calibers (.38 and .357) in the same pistol.

The most important part take them and have them heft the revlovers. If the do not feel "right" then put it down and look into something else.

I would stay away from the Airweights and smaller framed revolvers. They are a hand full even for an experienced shooter, let alone a novice.

tedk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My first choice would be a Smith & Wesson K frame fixed sight 4" barrel either .38 Special or .357 maganum. Second choice would be Ruger service six or speed six.

About 10 years ago I went through this with my Dad when he moved from the city to the country. I took over several guns and had him pick each one up, he took my Smith & Wesson model 10 heavy barrel with round butt grip. Loaded it up with 125gr +P .38 specials.

He can hit a coffee can at 20' all six times he is confident in the gun.

Just my :twocents: worth.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom