• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    We do talk about safe handling but how about safe storage, especially with kids around.

Where do you keep your fire arms when not in use? I have a locking case for my shotgun and a gun vault microvault for my pistol.

I know to teach my family gun saftey but when you have a toddler around you do have to think about a little more than teaching.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Currently: nightstand and closet
    Within the next few months: quick-access nightstand safe, and large gun safe in closet.

It has been just my wife and I for 13 years, so no real need to lock things up. Now that we have a little one, I'll need to so a better job.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I've always just kept my EDC in my nightstand and the long guns in the closet... With a new baby, I decided to go ahead and add a nightstand safe for my EDC and a safe for my long guns (and ammo). Sure, my baby can't walk yet, but I might as well go ahead and develop good habbits related to ensuring everything is locked and secured when not in service.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    My kid isn't here yet, but will by August, and it shouldn't be doing anything for another year or so -- I haven't even thought about it much, except that I'd like to get one of those in-wall "picture" hidey safes.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I used to have several all throughout the house until my son was born, now they are all locked up except for the one that is on me.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Allmine are in safes...except the one I am carrying at the time, then it goes in the nightstand, my youngest is 20, so no worry there.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Usually just next to my bed, if I am leaving and the gun isn't going with me it gets hidden with a trigger lock on it. It is only my two roommates and I, all of which own guns so its pretty nice not really having to worry about anything.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    No toddlers around for me; they're now in the teenage years, but I'm still careful because of friends coming over. All of my firearms are under lock and key with the ammo locked in a separate cabinet.

Not only is it a good idea for safety, Indiana's child access prevention law requires it to be locked up. Having ammunition unlocked and in close proximity to a firearm that can be loaded is legally considered the same as leaving a loaded firearm within reach of the child if something were to happen.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    All of mine are in a safe except the one being carried.

To the OP... the microvault is great for travel etc. but get yourself a regular gun vault (single or multi) for home. They are MUCH faster. I think you can pick up the single for only like $80. If you do a search, you can probably find a post I wrote with video of the two compared.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    No toddlers around for me; they're now in the teenage years, but I'm still careful because of friends coming over. All of my firearms are under lock and key with the ammo locked in a separate cabinet.

Not only is it a good idea for safety, Indiana's child access prevention law requires it to be locked up. Having ammunition unlocked and in close proximity to a firearm that can be loaded is legally considered the same as leaving a loaded firearm within reach of the child if something were to happen.

I did not know that, all my ammo is in military boxes but it is not locked. I will have to get a bigger safe and lock it up. My daughter is just starting to get around pretty well so I will have to get it put away in the very near future.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I did not know that, all my ammo is in military boxes but it is not locked. I will have to get a bigger safe and lock it up. My daughter is just starting to get around pretty well so I will have to get it put away in the very near future.
    Unfortunately, many people don't. This is one of the extra tidbits I throw out to parents at my Hunter Ed classes, and I'm surprised by the amount of adults with children and firearms that don't know it.

In fact, I just posted this in another thread about youth/firearms, so I might as well throw the reference up here if anyone is interested:
    Indiana Code 35-47-10

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    All of mine are in a safe except the one being carried.

To the OP... the microvault is great for travel etc. but get yourself a regular gun vault (single or multi) for home. They are MUCH faster. I think you can pick up the single for only like $80. If you do a search, you can probably find a post I wrote with video of the two compared.

I will search for it. Thanks. We (the wife and I) chose the micro vault cause it goes in the nightstand drawer and we would have a hard time getting the single on to work in there. If I kept it on top the double would have been my choice. I want to fill it up too. A friend of mine has the single and it really is a lot faster opening, but I would like to put it on a clock and see how much faster.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Even before I had a little one running around the house, I always kept & keep my firearms locked up. Hanguns in a stack-on strongbox and nightstand gun in a stack-on drawer safe. With anyone in your house, let alone children of any age, you can never be too careful.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have always kept everything in a safe with the exception of the one I carry. The thing I have always feared most was having wife or son come home and interupting a home invasion and finding themselves looking down the barrel of one of our own guns.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I've had pretty good luck with the GunVault 1000's and 2000's. I use these models, since I have them mounted in my vehicles for temporary storage if I need to enter someplace that is unfriendly to our 2nd amendment rights. They are easily anchored to floor joist in the house or around the chassis in my truck.

Top Bottom