• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    I have a question that I'm sure you can help me with (I think I'm in the right forum). I am moving to Indiana from Alaska. I own a house in indiana and the Alaska house is on the market. My residency is Alaskan and may stay that way for about a year (for various financial reasons).
    I know I can purchase 'long guns' in Indiana (except at Dick's , but that's another thread) but is it possible to purchase handguns with an out-of-state ID? Thanks ahead of time.:dunno:

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    As long as you can prove that you have a house here in Indiana you should be able to buy any legal gun here. Just like people who live here in summer and florida in the winter.

But i'm not an expert, just my opion

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No. If you are not an Indiana resident, you cannot purchase handguns here.

Because you "reside" here, doesn't necessarily make you a "resident". :n00b:

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    this is what I used as reference:

(B12) May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State? [Back]
    If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.
    [27 CFR 478.11]

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    this is what I used as reference:

(B12) May a person (who is not an alien) who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a handgun in either State? [Back]
    If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.
    [27 CFR 478.11]

Yes, it's legal to purchase a gun is you're setting up a residence here. You're Alaska "residency" is fictional as it sounds as if you plan to reside in Indiana permanently, and not again in Alaska. However, it will be almost impossible to find an FFL willing to take you at your word if you don't have an Indiana issued ID with your Indiana address.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    Thanks for the input everyone. My wife is trying to become a Hoosier (the name cracks her up) but I don't know...we may end up back there. Right now we go back every 90 days but I'm ready to declare Indiana as home. After some horrendous heating bills -over $1,000 a month (4 bedroom house), Indiana looks real good, especially since we're on retirement income. She is making some friends here so here's hoping. Thanks again for the information.

Top Bottom