• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    This is going to be an increasing, ongoing problem with our new cyber-culture. With connectivity in everything from refrigerators to furnaces to cars (and to guns if some get their way) then we can expect that others will be able to control our tech at their will. Makes me want to move to Idaho and live off from 100 acres on the back side of no where.

Researchers hack Tesla Model S with remote attack | PCWorld

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    There's no such thing as 100% secure... period... Stop making sensitive things accessible! CLOSED SYSTEMS PEOPLE!!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    This is going to be an increasing, ongoing problem with our new cyber-culture. With connectivity in everything from refrigerators to furnaces to cars (and to guns if some get their way) then we can expect that others will be able to control our tech at their will. Makes me want to move to Idaho and live off from 100 acres on the back side of no where.

WiFi in guns? Citations, please.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That 1965 F100 with a straight-6 and a 3-speed on the column is looking better all the time, ain't it?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That 1965 F100 with a straight-6 and a 3-speed on the column is looking better all the time, ain't it?

I'd still rather have the Tesla. Everything is hackable yet us common folk never get hacked because no one cares enough to do it. Now if I were an Iranian nuclear scientist or a Russian dissident I wouldn't come close to a hackable car.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    694940094001_5085276961001_1107b0af-7c47-4b92-8fba-226bc7ab890e.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I suspect the proven hacks of other WiFi devices will make this idea a dead issue. Too much liability for all involved. Frankly, I'm surprised auto makers haven't addressed the hacking issue yet; that flaw has been known for quite awhile.

You think that it will be a dead issue based on the fact that there have been proven hacks of current tech that still continues to be used? How is that?

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    You think that it will be a dead issue based on the fact that there have been proven hacks of current tech that still continues to be used? How is that?

I'm assuming that the auto makers are aware of the hacks, but have chosen to ignore the risk, based on the number of units already out in the field and the cost of any potential fix.

Actually, I suspect the ONLY possible fix would be to remove all WiFi capability, and it may not be possible to retrofit existing vehicles. As such, it would be unwise for a gun maker to install WiFi, if they may required to remove it at a later date.

As for Kirk's link and Colt's attempt at a smart gun, that was 17 years ago. Tech has come a long way since then.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I'd still rather have the Tesla. Everything is hackable yet us common folk never get hacked because no one cares enough to do it. Now if I were a former Hitlery IT advisor or someone about to testify against her I wouldn't come close to a hackable car.

Fixed

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom