• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fedex just dropped off my replacement rifle from the CMP. :D Stock looks to be new manufacture, but from what I can tell from the serial number, the original date of manufacture was sometime between 1953 and 1957. Springfield didn't keep detailed serial number/manufacture date info after WWII apparently. Can't wait to try it out and see if it performs better than my original (1943)!

IMG_1657700x525.jpg

IMG_1658700x525.jpg

IMG_1659700x525.jpg

IMG_1660700x525.jpg

IMG_1661700x525.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys. It almost looks like one of their "Special Grade" (new manufacture) rifles although it's supposedly just Service Grade. Maybe they felt guilty about all the problems I had with my first one. (2 trips back to the armory, plus installation of some parts they sent me) :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Garand Special Grade - C&R Eligible?

A couple of questions just occurred to me. With my original Garand (1943 Springfield), I entered it into my bound book as a C&R-eligible gun.

1) Did I really need to enter the original at all, since it had been re-armored (presumably) by the CMP?
    2) Do I need to enter the replacement gun which appears to be a Special Grade, which has new manufacture parts, to include the stock and barrel, or is it no longer considered a C&R gun, in which case I don't need to?

Maybe that's 3 questions... :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looked in my ATF regulations for C&R firearms and I still am not sure...

What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
    The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 C.F.R. § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm
    must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the
    importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a
    C&R item.
    Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has
    concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.
    It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts,
    non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have
    determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be
    acceptable
    —for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand
    [sic] stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but
    replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

So... my rifle has a new stock of the same design (okay per the above), and a new barrel that is obviously the original design (also okay per the above? :dunno:)

I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to go ahead and enter it in my bound book. Seems to me that it would be better to list one that doesn't need to be listed than to NOT list one that does.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    :spend:

Seriously though, the CMP is the way to go. Whenever I've seen them for sale at the 1500 or from other private sellers they're quite a bit more than what the CMP charges for them. Sometimes ridiculously so.

Yep, people buy rack grades at CMP and then try to get $1000 at gun shows. I guess they must be making money or they wouldn't keep doing it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, people buy rack grades at CMP and then try to get $1000 at gun shows. I guess they must be making money or they wouldn't keep doing it.
    Yep, this. Also, to be fair, some of the ones I've seen have been better than Rack Grade, but I've seen asking prices as high as $3K. Really?? CMP doesn't even ask that much for their Correct Grade rifles! (sold out now, but originally $1150) I guess that's free market capitalism at its finest...

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    Thanks guys. It almost looks like one of their "Special Grade" (new manufacture) rifles

Their "Special Grade" guns aren't really new manufacture; more like refurbished Garands with excellent condition barrels and new wood. I think the "Special Select" Garands have new Criterion barrels too.

Nice rifle. Last year at the National Matches I was really liking the feel of one of those Special grade Garands in my hands, and particularly the ones with the IHC front sights. Didn't have the funds to buy it though so I had to put it back. This year I stayed away from the CMP store altogether...

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Their "Special Grade" guns aren't really new manufacture; more like refurbished Garands with excellent condition barrels and new wood. I think the "Special Select" Garands have new Criterion barrels too.

Nice rifle. Last year at the National Matches I was really liking the feel of one of those Special grade Garands in my hands, and particularly the ones with the IHC front sights. Didn't have the funds to buy it though so I had to put it back. This year I stayed away from the CMP store altogether...

Good call on staying away. Every time I go there I buy a new garand. It's a disease for sure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Hmmm... I see what you mean now that I went back to look again at their grading descriptions. However, I noticed that my barrel has been stamped "NM", which I assumed meant "New Manufacture". :dunno: Either way, I'm happy! :D At worst, I have a "Service Grade Springfield Special", and at best I have a "Special Grade". Either one is an upgrade from the one I sent in for exchange (just a Service Grade Springfield).

Top Bottom