• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I recently acquired an AK47 with some surface rust. I'm going to remove this surface rust and I want to do it the right way.

I found this:

Routine Gun Finish Maintenence

But then I also saw this:

Removing rust on blued surfaces--do NOT use oil!!! - TheFiringLine Forums

And I wanted to check the opinions of the fine folks at INGO. Is this a reasonable method to remove rust from my gun without damaging it?

Ultimately, I just want it to look a little better and prevent damage in the future.

Thanks!

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    I use Breakfree products. Powder Blast and they make a penatrate presever.
    And a lot of elbow grease. Found a old springfield trapdoor that was a rusty mess, sprayed it down and in two days you could read the serial number.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I removed quite a bit of rust from an old shotgun a couple of years ago using gun oil & an old wheat back penny. It did a very good job. I suppose some other copper item would work, too. I'd been told not to use steel wool as it could get in some of those tight spots, start to rust more quickly than the blued metal & cause the gun to begin to rust again, even worse. I am not a metalurgist, though, nor do I play one on TV.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I second the Breakfree advice. I had never heard of using no oil, unless a refinishing was involved. Ruger 10/22, acquired used, had never been cleaned, about 10 yrs. old, restored with Breakfree and cotton. Did take some time, though, had to let it penetrate, then repeat. Also, I did not scrub, more like, worked the oil in to let it do it's job.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    USED motor oil

I would let soak in USED motor oil - I allays keep a five gallon bucket in the garage. Something stuck, rusted, or moving parts corroded? A soak in USED oil will fix all these problems. Old farmer trick my grandfather used on anything and everything on the farm from tractor parts to pliers.

I have a friends mussel loader that he hasn't had the breech out in years - scaled rust all over, says its stuck and that's that. I'll have it out with sharp threads in a few more weeks.:yesway:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I use Breakfree products. Powder Blast and they make a penatrate presever.
    And a lot of elbow grease. Found a old springfield trapdoor that was a rusty mess, sprayed it down and in two days you could read the serial number.

Above in red is the very best thing for getting rust off a gun. Take your time. You can always go to something stronger if you absolutely have to but patience and elbow grease are a great way to avoid doing more damage than good.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I used 0000 Steel Wool and Rem Oil to remove the surface rust on my grandpa's old .22. It's still shows pitting but I got all the surface rust out! Looks 1000x better.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Best product I have found for removing rust while not hurting the finish is Corrosion X. They package a bottle for "guns", but I have it on good advice that it is the same product, just different packaging. Check it out here: CorrosionX

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the responses, folks! I went with the oil-free 0000 steel wool method and it worked very well. 0000 is not as abrasive as you'd think... It takes some time to get the rust out but looks WAY better as a result.

Top Bottom