• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    What do you guys think of the Remington 870 shotgun? I have heard from a lot of people that this a great gun for the price. I just wanted to hear what you guys thought?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Remingtons are excellent shotguns. If you don't own a shotgun, the Remington 870 is a great one to get and will not disappoint you.

The recoil of any shotgun is mainly decided by what type of shell you decide to shoot from it. Different shells are used for different things, have different power, and kick differently. Recoil is not something to worry about, just dive in and do it.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    It's my choice in currently manufactured pumps. I own three---field gun---riot gun and a 410. I've put the field gun through a lot of abuse duck hunting and haven't had any problems. Killed a lot of rabbits with the 410 over the yrs.

Steve

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    the 870 in my opinion is the best pump gun made. They will go bang every time and for the cost you probably can't get a better shotgun period. Don't get a mossberg, hold them both and feel the difference. Work the action and feel the difference. They are worth the extra few bucks. About 100 i think, but well worth it.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you guys think of the Remington 870 shotgun? I have heard from a lot of people that this a great gun for the price. I just wanted to hear what you guys thought?

Remington makes a couple of different models of the 870. There is te EXPRESS which is the less expensive and the WINGMASTER which is the more expensive. Each has different grades of their models. The later has better wood and what I own. You can't go wrong with either one.:rockwoot:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke (12 January 1729 – 9 July 1797)

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I have an 870 and absolutely love it! Wonderful gun and extremely reliable.

Like RamBone said, it depends on the shell, 2'' 3/4 target shells are extremely manageable so the recoil wont bother you, throw in some 3" turkey loads, wohoo your in for a ride! But it will be that way in any shotgun, even semi's. Now slap on the rifled barrel and shoot some sabots and the turkey loads feel like your sister punching you haha. I love hard hitting guns though so for me the more recoil the better :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't think there is much quality difference between Remington and Mossberg. I prefer Remington only for the small things. I like the safety position better. Mossberg's safety is harder to use if you like a pistol grip. If you don't like pistol grips there isn't much difference. Remingtons are easier to disassemble. And, there seems to be (completely unconfirmed) a few more aftermarket accessories for them.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo

The 870 has been around a looooonnnnnggg time it is the all time best selling shotgun ever made
    with a change of Barrels You are ready to Hunt Deer ,Turkey ,Small game
    Ducks ,Geese and shoot Skeet or Trap with it
    Its a great all around Shotgun

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Smiley the 870 is really one of the best all purpose guns out there. I do prefer the older ones which are every where and you may get a better price. I have a wingmaster made in the early 70's and wouldn't part with it. A good fried of mine was in the market for a new shotgun and we set him up with a new 870 with 2 barrels for around $350 at Dick's. It also came mounted with a scope on the rifled slug barrel. Not bad, and it shoots great.

He was also worried about recoil and with the slug barrel on the 12 gauge it will kick a bit. He simply added a butt pad and was very happy. Hope this helps.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They are good guns, but typicaly you can find a Mossberg 500 for cheaper. They are both equaly reliable in my eyes. Also I like the placement of the safety on a 500, for using a straight stock. It's much easier for me to reach. However if you want a pistol grip, then I prefer the 870. Barrels are cheaper for the 500 also, majority of the time. I bought an 18.5" SD barrel for mine, through Cabellas for $79.99.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    the 870 in my opinion is the best pump gun made. They will go bang every time and for the cost you probably can't get a better shotgun period. Don't get a mossberg, hold them both and feel the difference. Work the action and feel the difference. They are worth the extra few bucks. About 100 i think, but well worth it.

Oh God here comes a Mossberg VS Remington thread in the making. My Mossberg has gone bang, everytime I have pulled the trigger. Yeah the forend is a little looser, then the 870 but it has no affect on performance. Let him choose what best suites him.

pbook1952

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    There is no way to go wrong with the 870. I have 4 of them from field grade to trap grade. 12 and 20 gauge. I have shot several thousand rounds with the trap gun and never any problems. Easy to carry and has a good feel. For the money its a great choice.

Top Bottom